No external MIDI = sadness [Functionality added in OS 1.50]

Dataline said it at NAMM.

1 Like

The amazing machines Elektron make result from both genius and arrogance. They deliberately stifle their gear. Now imposing limitations can be a great thing creatively, but in many cases with their newer boxes, as in this latest one, it would seem to be simply about pushing product.

As a few people have previously mentioned, Elektron’s sequencer is one of ‘the’ things that really sets them apart. They won’t, but they really should put some basic external midi sequencer version on all the machines. So what if it means some overlap. They’ll sell more by making their customers happy or is that just me being naive?

Apart from the stupid omission of separate outputs on the A4 the other reason for me myself not buying was I don’t run any of my gear via CV, so I would effectively lose functionality of the CV track on the A4. I think I even read here recently someone inquiring about converting CV back to midi so they could sequence external gear from their A4. What a completely ridiculous thing for their customer who just spent $1000 to have to do!

1 Like

Yes joechip agree completely, its definitely part of their marketing strategy its rather annoying and for most of us space is an issue an wed rather have fewer boxes that do more than have to go all “pokemon” with elektron boxes.

One further thing that really niggles me about elektron and midi is that their box with the best midi external control (the octatrack) is my least favourite of their products, I wont waste the space in my limited studio to have one so I use an mpc for that duty intead. Ideally Id like the AR to replace the mpc but its become obvious that it will be hobbled so as to not be able to perform those midi control duties.

1 Like

I would much rather spend my money on a Cirklon and a DRM MKIII for analog drums under $2k. No hardware limitations. No “creative” limitations.

1 Like

im hopin im wrong but the big R doesn’t understand workflow, nor bug fixes, nor upgrades, maybe its simple enough for them to get it right but if it is advanced expect to see a slew of issues
this ar/a4 issue doesn’t both me as have octa, mnm, mp7 even an esq1 all combined gives me a plethora of seq options

Man, I was saying the same thing about the most recent Elektron boxes a few months ago regarding the strategic omission of certain features standard on their earlier boxes and I got hammered for it…

1 Like

Yeah, people end-up ignoring as well as being dismissive and rude to those of us that use critical thinking, have a need for different typical work flow than other users, and choose not to drink the rabid fanboyism kool aid. Was just talking to a highly respected shop other day on phone about the huge increase in people getting on wait list for Cirklon or ordering other machines due to the omission of basic midi note out on A4. With Elektron’s release of AK one would have thought this would be addressed for specific needs of how keyboardist work instead of maniacal button pushers on a table full of machines. Not a very smart marketing strategy. The NAMM Guitar Center interview and lackluster AK demo was determining factor…no way!
Will reiterate how baffling it is that my Quasimidi Polymorph can do external midi sequencing, different time signatures per track, and even change direction of track or have parts randomly loop within a track. It was made in 1999…!
Meanwhile, Radikal Technologies is currently working hard to finally complete O.S. and streamline their Spectralis 2, (analog filterbanks and synth as well as sample engine using SD card), which can do all these things and samples and much more. FYI–they are projected to finish by September 2014 and start shipping again and seems to be well worth the $2499. to have all functions and more of equiv. of three Elektron boxes. They even have someone re-writing manual that’s both native German and English language.
Spektralis is also a very capable drum machine. Elektron take notice.

1 Like

A reason to leave it out in addition to marketing

Support man-hours
Elektron boxes are often works in progress (pretty much the industry standard), they have better follow through than many companies. Eliminating midi and focusing on CV allows more time for perfecting one feature.

Lie, that’s one step backward from the invention of Midi!

1 Like

Yeah, people end-up ignoring as well as being dismissive and rude to those of us that use critical thinking, have a need for different typical work flow than other users, and choose not to drink the rabid fanboyism kool aid. Was just talking to a highly respected shop other day on phone about the huge increase in people getting on wait list for Cirklon or ordering other machines due to the omission of basic midi note out on A4. With Elektron’s release of AK one would have thought this would be addressed for specific needs of how keyboardist work instead of maniacal button pushers on a table full of machines. Not a very smart marketing strategy. The NAMM Guitar Center interview and lackluster AK demo was determining factor…no way!
Will reiterate how baffling it is that my Quasimidi Polymorph can do external midi sequencing, different time signatures per track, and even change direction of track or have parts randomly loop within a track. It was made in 1999…!
Meanwhile, Radikal Technologies is currently working hard to finally complete O.S. and streamline their Spectralis 2, (analog filterbanks and synth as well as sample engine using SD card), which can do all these things and samples and much more. FYI–they are projected to finish by September 2014 and start shipping again and seems to be well worth the $2499. to have all functions and more of equiv. of three Elektron boxes. They even have someone re-writing manual that’s both native German and English language.
Spektralis is also a very capable drum machine. Elektron take notice.[/quote]
Based on Radikals track record so far, I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting on any promised Spectralis updates. Unless that is you are very capable of holding your breath for years!

Correct me if I am wrong: NONE of Elektrons “midi out” boxes can record midi note-off, namely the OcTa/Monomachine (no velocity either), which makes a live workflow pretty much impossible because you’d have to --oh, what’s this?? --Parameter-lock every single midi note’s length-- Hahaha, music should be “fun”, right? I really want to like Elektron’s machines, but I can’t, it’s redundant to have hardware that doesn’t utilize its full capability. The sequencers are there, there’s a midi-out, but the user’s needs don’t matter since its all about the money.

1 Like

Spektralis is also a very capable drum machine. Elektron take notice.[/quote]
Based on Radikals track record so far, I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting on any promised Spectralis updates. Unless that is you are very capable of holding your breath for years![/quote]
Early Summer 2013 O.S. 1.5 was released. Know for a fact the Spectralis project is being worked-on with Godspeed and also reason new units will not be shipping until aforementioned, September, 2014. The needed focal attention of ‘completing’ the Spek is currently consuming RT’s time and attention and without disclosing my source, know this to be sure. Not a nebulous rumor.

I certainly wouldn’t buy an OT, MnM, or MD just for sequencing MIDI gear if I didn’t already have an OT and MnM.

I may be contradicting myself, now, as I have no idea if I’ve ever actually told someone tough titties about the Analogs not having MIDI sequencers, but I do get why A4/AK/AR owners would love to have a MIDI sequencer and feel frustrated at the lack of one.

The smaller screens on the Analog Trinity (and artificially so at that) seems to tell me they have no intention of adding external MIDI sequencing. I suppose they could do it still, but I think it’d be better on a bigger, full-sized Elektron screen.

1 Like

They just want me to sell my tempest and buy a RYTM & A4

Apart from not being able to sequence any of your synthesis parameters, modulate them with LFOs, send them to effects, or play them with pads. I like my DRM but to be honest it hasn’t got used much because I only have two hands and there’s no way to automate any of the knob tweaking, so I would need some way to multitrack or loop.
I could sell you my chrome-covered one if you like :wink:

IMHO - I agree that sequencer with parameters-lock becomes a signature of em’ e-boxes. However to cripple (whatever the reason), i.e. not extending to its full capabilities is not going to go down well with consumers.

The A4 OS update is debatable, you could view it as an unfinished product released a year ahead or great service/support for a product a year later. Companies exist for a reason and they do sell product A then subsequently release B together with an A1 upgrade.

Given the +Drive and A4 OS as precedence, it is possible to see new functions to come in future.

I picked up a Korg Volca Bass today, it really is a nice little bass thing. It’s funny how this tiny analog synth has a 16 step/1bar sequencer/step editor that can record midi notes AND midi velocity (and eventually send midi out once I do that super easy mod). This toy is more versatile as a midi sequencer than AR, I love it.

1 Like

i don’t even care about the rytm, but MIDI, really? all this crying over MIDI? what is this 1994? well, ms20’s for 400, and dirt cheap acid boxes, that’s about right, i guess. :slight_smile:

and is anyone even using any of the elektron boxes that have MIDI as studio “hubs”? i don’t think they’re great for that. get an mpc with busted pads.

the analog4 probably works the most hassle free of any of them as something to work with external gear! given the choice to have CV and Din SYNC or MIDI, CV is much cooler, because there aren’t 101 (or 202!) cheap CV sequencing boxes out there any more.

if anyone is interested actually solving an issue and getting on with life i can recommend a few good cheapo MIDI sequencer/recorders. MSQ700 has Din SYNC and it’s fabulous. it’s obviously elektron’s plot to sell a cheap old roland sequencers that they’ve stockpiled over the years.

the yamaha sequencers mobile music seq and synth & drum pad for iOS are also very good. an iPod touch or iPhone has a bigger screen too. :wink:

oh, but you know what? it needs tape sync! fsk whatever.

it’d be useful with the multi outs.

Jonah, how do YOU sequence external MIDI gear with the A4 ? You can’t. Or maybe with a cv to midi converter … You still have the option.

With the AR you can’t sequence external stuff, period.

Sure CV is nice and all, but many actual gear don’t use it. MIDI is still in use and will be for some time … 1994 or 2020.

1 Like