No external MIDI = sadness [Functionality added in OS 1.50]

Fair enough. I stand corrected on the DB (the Ab still doesnt) I didn’t see mention of it on Arturias product page.

The larger point - that a number of drummachines in the last 40 years don’t sequence (the 909 is basically nothing) - still holds.

No source but some thought: Midi baud rate is fixed by design and convention (and pretty slow to nowadays standards), which is great for inter-operability but not so great if you want the kind of fast modulations and sequences you can get internally (think p-lock/lfo mayhem)

peeling of al rhetoric and pretention i read: ‘no source’.

so much fun to talk to people that use the words fake news when speaking about a drummachine

if there was an official statement, then this thread could end with the quote of the official stating that it is technically impossible. now there are only speculations. for all of us it seems.

Elektron have stated in various interviews that the Analog Series does not work on midi. Could partially explain how the A4 sequences CV instead of midi.

2 Likes

CV is continuous, thus not limited by an interface rate.

Arguably, it should be possible to downgrade sequences and modulations so that any internal sequencing could be partially sent via midi, but I guess they decided it was not worth it. Best example I can think of is the OT xfader which can’t be used to transition midi controllers. I regret it but I can understand why.

We done then?

8 Likes

If this is a statement from an elektron spokesman then my suggestion that the midi data is getting ‘blocked’ seems wrong.
But the statement clearly leaves room for possibilities doesn’t it?

I want midi out for the new analog rytm mk2!
…and for mk1 too off course, if technically possible …

I own both btw, you think i can have this wish/hope?
thank you

If we’re taking bets here I would say no.

1 Like

The end in the middle of the story?

Was this thread written by Charlie Kaufman?

3 Likes

i would hope you would loose that bet

i expect quite some interesting updates for the Rytm mk2, due to it’s young age

I hope too ! But honestly I find it better to not expect anything… so I can have little surprises from time to time (just like the DT compressor !).

2 Likes

I dont need it but itd be nice…not least to kill this thread :wink:

1 Like

yes this thread is realy really bad :wink:

people should be stopped in any kind of ways to post to it

Thread muted

So, I sold my rytm last year. It’s an amazing machine and almost perfect. The midi out problem originally perturbed me but I got over it.
Tbh, I feel rytm is either geared as a one box does it all or it’s meant to be accompanied by other :3lektron: boxes.

IMHO you can spare yourself some disappointment when you wouldn’t see a mkXX unit as a really new device (like a Rytm v2), because it isn’t.

At it’s core it’s a remake of the same old product, just a little bit refined here and there (new buttons, different screen, maybe additional outs), but definitely no major changes especially not in the OS which is the most cost intensive part nowadays.

2 Likes

Dang I just ordered an analog Rytm mkII yesterday to replace my mpc3000. Want something that does the same things as the 3000 but with more (modern) processing power and flexibility… Have been excited for the AR … BUT I saw a comment on youtube this morning about the fact that you can’t sequence midi to the midi output. But you CAN send midi out from hitting the pads??? Daaaaaang, bruh. I’m prob gonna send this right back

yes sure that makes totally sense, one should definitely not use it with any wonderfull machine from another brand! just imagine what would happen of you connect something (preferably with an internal sequencer in this case…so sadness for my 0-coast and Nord drum 3…) to the inputs and sample it! brrrr, things might even break!

edit: imagine having just one midi channel to do this. you’d have a powerfull setup with just two machines. And did not the Machinedrum midi machines come as an update? (not totally sure about this)

No you are totally right, the Rytm mk2 is not a version 2 of the Rytm mark 1, how silly of me to think that! and I had another look and indeed: the extra outputs are just ‘maybe’ there, and so is the external and internal sampling capability.

I don’t know wether to laugh or cry about comments like this actually

Digitakt for you

When you need to try nitpicking on a well-meant comment then please learn to read carefully first. The sentence clearly wasn’t referencing only the Rytm MK2, but all mkXX units (OT MK2 and Heat MK2, for example, have no additional outs).