No external MIDI = sadness [Functionality added in OS 1.50]

that is the tease :frowning:

i hear you, but it was never advertised to work as a midi sequencer, to be fair…

i just wrote it, because i dont know if everybody is aware, that most actions om the machine can generate midimessages (or nprn)

for example the pads send preassure info while in performance mode… i sometimes control the a4 performance parameters with this

1 Like

that argument (being advertised or not) is not valid anymore since they advertised something else and didn’t deliver :upside_down_face:

hear you, but it was never advertised to work as a midi sequencer, to be fair…

exactly. since évery single midi (In, Out, Thru) drummachine in history has that functionality one would assume that the most advanced of them all…

But this thread has allready spoken of everything.
In short: it’s a commercial decision from Elektron.

1 Like

Shorter still : it wasn’t

2 Likes

I think it’s a scheduling / processor power issue. You can already lock up the RYTM by sending too much MIDI to it (as opposed to the OT). It just wasn’t designed for that.

…let me rephrase that:

Personally I am convinced that it’s a commercial decision made by Elektron as to avoid ‘product overlap’.

I wish it could be used to sequence midi but I can see that sending 12 tracks of midi plus pad info and knobs is definitely additional cost/complexity.

Go look up the price of a social entropy engine, pyramid or cirklon ~$700USD to 1250 EUR for dedicated multitrack midi sequencers.

I’m sure they could’ve added it if they wanted to but it would’ve increased the cost of an already expensive device the intent of which is to be a drum machine with analog synthesis and samples, not a multi track midi sequencer.

I guess it could send GM percussion notes on a single channel, but realistically how useful is that.

Mentioning of prices of hi-end, dedicated, for user interface designed, boutique midi sequencers has exactly what to do with the omission of a ‘print to output’ of data that is already in the machine?
again, like every other midi output equipped drummachine in history with starting prices at 1/10th of the Rytm?

Leaving thread(mill).

What do u expect it to send though? 1 track with gm perc notes?

my nordrum 3p for example, would be very happy with full GM (16 channel, midi cc, prog. change etc) midi output implementation. you know, like machinedrum.

I dream of it’s power (maybe get me any 75 euro start price 1980’s or 1990’s korg, roland, yamaha, alesis or zoom for that from ebay. clutters my table and workflow though…).

spoiler alert, this argument always winds up at a dead end.

10 Likes

I’m no engineer but it did always seem strange that they can receive midi, but not send it.
It’s hard not to jump on board with the conspiracy theorists

I don’t think it’s beating a dead horse to keep asking for this in a thread. I think it shows how much people want a MIDI note sent from the sequencer.

And maybe Elektron sees this and has a change of opinion.

Personally I suspect it’s some kind of feature control to promote and balance sales in the product line. Well if it’s true Elektron then you should know that I didn’t buy it.

2 Likes

quote: This dead horse has been beaten since 2012. It’s now 2019.

The analog rytm mk2 came out in 2018. For an elektron machine this is brand new. It is the second midi drummachine in 40 year of history that has it’s internal midi data blocked from going to it’s midi output. The first being the analog rytm mk1.

You buy elektron for the longterm support/updates. Otherwise there are fine alternative solutions, going down to as low as 1/10th of the price-point.
So please don’t tell all the new Rytm mk2 owners that they can’t be disappointed by this omission, , while pointing us to other elektron products for a solution, just because you came totally to terms with this (then why post anyway, maybe just ignore this treat). And that they can’t post in this old school treat.

I still have difficulties to accept that the Machinedrum has midi out but the Rytm not.
Even just one or two tracks would be a huge improvement.

1 Like

The Jomox Aloha Base does not; the arturia drumbrute does not.

They shouldn’t be disappointed as it was never offered.

1 Like

If we stick to the facts as we know it, this is plain wrong - just putting the record straight for anyone who reads this - the internal sequencing of the Analogs is not done with MIDI (according to the manufacturer)

4 Likes

quote: The Jomox Aloha Base does not; the arturia drumbrute does not.

Both statements are not true, they do midi out just fine.
Not sure where you get your information.

learning the old lesson yet again after many, many years of knowing: never ever speak critically of elektron on the elektron forum, sigh…

source?

Yes they send clock but so does the AR. What exactly do you want from “midi out” the 808/909, AB and DB provide that the AR doesn’t?

1 Like

note sequencing, not talking about clock tempo

and the roland tr808 has no midi
the 1983 TR909 does, so it’s sequencing midi notes just fine.

again, not sure where you get your information from

this distraction is a waste of my time
still not liking midi out omission :stuck_out_tongue: