NINA, motorized analog synth from Melbourne Instruments

Heard 5k on GS. I’m not interested for 5k.

Those knobs will be broken in a few years. Then what?

1 Like

If it is indeed 5k then… yea that’s probably a bit too rich for human hands. Maybe that’s in AUD? Still pricey lol…

No reason the knobs will be broken in a few years though it’s not 1997 motors are extremely reliable these days. I’ve had analog pots go scratchy in a year, nothing’s perfect - being proprietary is a minor concern though, although I’d be interested to see the construction might be fairly easy to service. Replacing a motor is probably easier than a resistor.

‘Can have 4 LFOs if you want to.’

OK, so put 4 lfos on it then surely.

Hopefully this is their flagship model, to get the company rolling. I hope they do the smart thing later on and release synths that undercut the insane gear prices we get hammered with in Australia. Then again, they’ve probably already done the research and hope to make their money through export.

Maybe they’re repairable? Who knows right now. The guy seems legit- he’s talking about how you can do your own custom firmware on the pi before it’s even launched so don’t think they’ll be trying to restrict people fixing them.

1 Like

Yea I liked a lot of what he was saying - it’s an ambitious project I hope that it doesn’t price itself out of relevance.

1 Like

The price he said will be very affordable. Equivalent to other desktop modules. So anything from £800-£2k.

2 Likes

Hard to compete peice-wise with the hydrasynth tbh- this has analogue so maybe people will be prepared to pay more.

What’s it got to do with the Hydrasynth?

1 Like

That’s different than, if true. I thought 5k sounded nuts, but I’d send them $1000-1500 today.

1 Like

There will even be an earlybird price reduction on Kickstarter. These deals can save a lot if your prepared to wait.

cash

2 Likes

I signed up for notifications.

Just another desktop synth with wavetsbles

they go into more synth details in this video and show the gears/motor for the dials
: english/french

1 Like

It weighs 5.5 kg.

See it’s heavy, same as a Hydrasynth. /s

2 Likes

And analog oscillators and filters.

Nice concept. Really need to hear something more out of it before donating to a kickstarter.

1 Like

Thats the bit that counts hey.
That sonic state vid was lots of talky not much soundy. Can have all the bells and whistles going, but if dont sound good, who cares?

1 Like

Yep. The guy in the video just said it will be priced comparable to other desktop synths. If I were in the market for a deep desktop synth I would also consider the hydrasynth, which is quite low priced for what it is. Thst was all I was saying :blush:

I agree. Plus it didn’t seem like the designer was much of a player (no offence to him!). I find quite a few namm or superbooth videos have demos by the very clever engineers with not great keyboard skills - not doing them a service tbh.

1 Like