#NGNY22 - Happy NoGear New Year!

I’m in, just focusing on what i already have. Digitone has so much more to explore :v:

10 Likes

Not in for the challenge because it’s clear that i will get a new device this year, but i’m not fighting any case of violent GAS, thanks to the Digitone.

I’ve just started Year II with the DN so it’s going to be a long time before saying that “I know” the Digitone. I would even say that my journey with it really started not so long ago.

I’m waiting for Elektron’s next move to decide what i’ll get, and “other buying options” are already known but in the meantime, the DN is so generous with discoveries and possibilities that i can wait before expanding the crew.

Plus, the way i use the Digitone now compared to how i did in the first months is a marker to decide what i’ll get to complement the gear.
I rather wait to get the right tool than a new toy.

4 Likes

actually…I beg to differ. it actually HAS, for me, given me some happiness. or maybe better put would be to say some peace of mind, which can translate to some happiness. no more stressing out over the next thing coming out. no more stressing out over having too much shit. no more stressing out where to start.

literally, for me, liberating. generalizing or speaking for others…not recommended.

8 Likes

not quite sure about it but i think end of the year i’m going to get the Elysia Karacter 19" … it has CV-inputs … but after that in 2022 there will be a 95% probability for no purchase … i’ll have to spend money on education … that’s my main-focus

Sequencers don’t count as gear, right? If they don’t, and I’m pretty sure they don’t, I’ll be fine in 2022.

1 Like

I’ve added you :raised_hands:

1 Like

I agree with your sentiment but not your example!!! I was an early adopter as I got one of the first run beta units about a year ago. From day one it’s been superb and the amount of great additional features added since those early days is amazing. Never once come across a crash or an OS weirdness…

However, where I would absolutely agree with you is that people shouldn’t just consider it some panacea that will solve their musical woes. Absolutely invest time in seeing how far your existing gear can cover the aspects of the M8 (or indeed any prospective purchase) before making the investment. And that’s what I’m seeking to achieve in the coming year.

And one way to do that will be to take inspiration from youtube tutorials especially when I don’t have the gear and see what I can achieve with what I have. Recent examples have been a tutorial from Reason on their Bassline sequencer - no intention of getting it but it was a nice refresher on the fundamentals of writing a good bassline and so that’s been inspiring. Another has been the recent DivKid tutotial about a sample and hold/track and hold module from Instruo - lots of interesting ideas in that one that I can apply to my existing gear.

1 Like

I’m the sort of person who deep dives, and there’s no end of youtube content to peruse, so that’s something i could get stuck in a loop of as well.

I’ve been doing theory and songwriting lessons, but that got a bit too overwhelming with homework so I’m trying to internalize the principles and work on application.

To sidestep youtube tutorials i’m considering dead-tree copies of my manuals and typing up “exercises” to go through.

1 Like

I like a paper manual in a lot of cases too, I take them out with me and read them while I’m hanging about waiting for kids at sports clubs etc. But if I want to find a fact or specific item quickly, searchable pdf is hard to beat. Speaking of which I hope purchasing manuals and books on music technique is allowed in 2022!

I reckon both manuals and lessons should be allowed, nay, encouraged…

5 Likes

I would say that they’re both healthier than buying gear, but… make sure you’re not going full steam there too! Try tutoring, try a book out, but give space to apply the lessons and ideas before moving onto the next shiny so they’re internalized.

2 Likes

This is really good advice. I would never tell anyone NOT to pursue learning, but I’ve certainly been guilty of buying a bunch of guitar text books and courses in the past and not doing anything with them. I’ve learned that lesson though (I think) as I’ve actually been using the books I’ve bought over the past couple of years, and stopping over buying. Maybe this year I’ll try to work through some of my backlog. Like that deep not wide thing. That would feel really good.

I’m not committing to not buying any new learning resources, but will certainly keep that in check myself. As you said, it’s all part of the same behavioral pattern. In a way though it’s as much about opting out of generally acceptable consumer behavior as it is obsessive buying. My wife actually considers me a minimalist by nature. I don’t own tons of stuff. I really hate having stuff I don’t use though.

It all goes back to having a finite amount of time and optimizing your buying for that amount of time. It’s not that I want to stop buying things, it’s that I want to stop buying things I don’t use. “The joy of less”.

4 Likes

Found one second hand, got it today, so no open wishes. No new gear 2022 her we come!

2 Likes

Added! :raised_hands: Bringing us to 70 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Now I just need to find that used/b-stock SP404 mk2 in the same way :rofl: :rofl:

I’ve already started my no new gear and also started to see how I am going to use the extra time not learning new gear–I am going back to books and lessons, including manuals, for what I already have.

I want to get back into learning Music Theory. I saw a perfect book on Amazon, called, “Music Theory for Computer Musicians,” by Michael Hewitt. I clicked to buy it. Guess what, Amazon kindly told me I’d previous purchased it: in 2014!! I thought the cover looked familiar (especially the lime-ish green of it). So, I went to look for it. Couldn’t find it on any of the haphazard book shelves I have around my house. I thought maybe it was at my cabin. Possible. Nope. It was right there in my music studio/office, but not on the shelf. It was tucked within several other books I’d used to elevate my second set of studio monitors (I blend two pair, using the “control room” out on my mixer for the second older pair, which sit on old bar stools). Anyway, right there with it was “Composition for Computer Musicians” by the same author. I have started reading the first one, and the second is on my night stand. I also downloaded updates to several hardware manuals, including the MPC Bible, to go along with updates to firmware I’d missed in the past six months to a year. So, the “deep(er)” dive begins.

7 Likes

A friendly reminder that many public libraries have an amazing selection of music books. I’ve recently started taking out many books on music theory, piano and guitar chords and even some books on electronic music and synthesis.

I reckon if there are one or two of these that I really connect with I will probably want to buy a copy for reference, but this is a great way to check out a lot of books for free.

3 Likes

I’ve got both as well. Good bedtime reading :). Btw is 1963 your birthyear as mine is too?

1 Like

Count me in. I have everything I’d ever need to make whatever, but every time I buy something new productivity stops down.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I never think about needing new gear while making music - only when I’m away from the studio do I start looking at new shinies.

3 Likes

Added! :raised_hands:

@xcc
@no-thanks
@raspberryhead
@sale87
@Dr.K
@dobermate
@banjarian
@Bemo
@sid6581
@Artsutanav