#NGNY22 - Happy NoGear New Year!

I get this, I was underlining the “most powerful” part. Not too seriously, but this intention got filtered by the black mirror I guess :wink:

A friend of mine has no money.
He actually creates his own instruments with broken pieces of cellos and other instruments that he assembles and equip with piezos. He treats the sound of this in VCV Rack and gets impressive textures out of this.
Put me and my arsenal to shame more than once…

3 Likes

My ultimate point would be to get to that place where you’re making stuff with what you have, until that becomes all you want.

My best friends gear desires are completely different than mine, but we share a lot of the same ideology.

I tend to get more creative by making something from very little, or lots of limiting parameters established.

3 Likes

I totally agree with this.

I crossed the border of establishing the most restricted perimeter without thinking about it, and only recently figured up I should slim down to it.

I have so much trouble to do so, though.
Every time I try to establish the list of what I’ll sell, I play with the instrument (that I took the time to learn) and soon find incredible sounds…

3 Likes

That might be a sign not to sell those things! A big part of GAS for me was muting back things I’ve sold, I’ve gone round that cycle a few times and it gets worse each time. This year, I sold stuff I really didn’t need and have stopped there for now. Sure I have more things I could sell, but not without regretting it and re-triggering the GAS…

1 Like

Don’t know how much gear you have but I’m sort of in a similar situation. Could sell a couple of things and still have plenty to keep me happy and be able to rotate my setup. But as long as they’re pieces that I like and I’m not in desperate need for cash, they’re not going anywhere. The way I look at it is that I have the rest of my life to play with them so it doesn’t matter if they sometimes sit idle for a couple of months.

Then again, I’m not gonna pretend I’ve found my final setup. I’m just a little over a year removed from being completely lost with my setup (a fucking 6-month stint with eurorack and Ciat-Lonbarde instruments etc). In 2021 I still made about ten pretty big purchases.

Next stop on my NGNY journey: trying to make OT and Perfourmer feel enough like a single machine so that I’d feel less like buying an A4. I don’t need the P4mer to give me drums or go into the wacky territory so I should be good.

I spent ages trying to “finish” my setup and I’ve come to realise it will never be finished. The core gear thread helped me a lot. Now I can imagine at least half a dozen versions of the setup with the core (2) plus 1-2 other synths. It stopped me GASing and researching to try and cram every possibility into one setup that never changes.

5 Likes

Sold tascam 414 mkll, peak, and gave away a bunch of cables.

Load…lightening :+1:t6:

Reporting that I’m putting new screens in my MD and MNM. But I don’t think this falls into sin category as I’ve had the screens for about 8 years and the MD is kinda unusable for me. I can’t focus on the red. AND there is a shop here that can ACTUALLY do it.

If my opinion of this screen swap is wrong and I have transgressed, then do as you must. [tho, I’m not buying anything, just fixing]

5 Likes

That’s perfectly fine. I’d even argue, that the idea of taking of care trusted, old tools, aligns beautifully with the intention of this project.

4 Likes

Actually, my list of synths I’m gonna sell just went from one to none. Had my Digitone in its box for a while, then it went to a friend for a few months. Was thinking that’d be 500€ into whatever I want to buy on 1/1/2023. Got it out today and I just keep going places with it. This is both immediate and deep. Still haven’t actually written any music on it but funny how a piece of gear that I’ve mostly considered frustrating can suddenly become so rewarding. Of course it’s a sort of honeymoon period again, third one with the DN and second one with this very unit, ha!

5 Likes

Is it too late to join this? I think there is a really cool thing going on in this thread.

5 Likes

I’m actually learning my shit more since selling and signing on to this group.

I’ve learned Make Noise - Maths is so much more than I thought

Thank you NGNY22 :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I’ll admit, I had GAS hard during Superbooth. I even opened up Modulargrid for the first time in months.

Then I thought of you guys and worked on my current Electron gear instead. Thanks again for starting this thread and inspiring us @Joebas!

4 Likes

Of course - you are more than welcome :raised_hands: I’ll add you, with a note of your starting date.

2 Likes

Right back at ya, my friend - you’ve all helped me dodge some bullets! :heart:

3 Likes

After updating my phone to a working one and us upgrading our car to a 9 years younger model, I’ve been worrisomely light hearted. I’m basically so happy with everything that it worries me a little. Having gotten rid of two of the worst stress inducers in my life has almost been a life changing experience. I used to be angry all the time and 90% of the time it was due to my phone or our car not working properly.

It’s definitely worth it to get rid of those things that cause you anxiety and bad vibes even if it makes a small dent into your monthly expenditure.

I’ve also come to the conclusion that owning a second hand pop culture shop is one of my best weapons against GAS. I basically get to buy all kinds of neat stuff every day and satisfy that built in consumerist hunger, but I don’t need to bring them home with me (except for some small things every now and then…). I get to eat the cake and keep it too. Tomorrow a dude will bring me two Sega Dreamcast consoles with four controllers, a couple of VMUs and over 20 games for them. I feel compelled to bring them home just to test them that they work properly. I basically owe it to my customers to check them out before selling. Especially I need to test Capcom’s Power Stone, one of the best beat-em-ups ever made.

I’ve also lost all interest in buying any music gear. There’s a great update coming for my MPC Live 2 in a month and I’m really content with the rest of my setup. Four different types of synthesis and a couple of samplers (and my guitar and a bunch of great pedals) are easily enough for me.

We’re slowly but surely approaching the halfway point of this challenge. In a little over a month we’ve done six months and have six months to go. Keep on keeping on, guys and gals.

10 Likes

@Joebas please get me out of the list.
I’ve f@&ed up big time.
Even bought myself a guitar.

6 Likes

As a guitar player myself, you have my sympathy. Been gassing down that avenue previously… Sure you wanna go full leave?

1 Like

Yes.

There’s been something bugging me at a deep level for weeks now, I can’t really put my finger on it. It’s either too wide or too small. But in such state I’m weak af.
Plus I’ve received some money I wasn’t expecting, so I guess that’s the absence of breaks. I haven’t even identified the trigger…

I’m getting back here when I’m strong enough, right know I would feel like a f#%*ing hypocrite.

1 Like

Things fluxuate, and you’ll be back, stronger. I’ll remove you from the list, but stick around :heart:

3 Likes

Sure. It’s been really helping these first half of the year.
And revealing, inspiring.

I’m such a weakass.

1 Like