#NGNY22 - Happy NoGear New Year!

I bought a new power supply for my RYTM, still haven’t seen anything I cant live without

1 Like

I’ve been following this whole thread, and really appreciate the discussion. I was going to just lurk, but I want to say how helpful this has been to me. It’s prompted me to commit myself to a simple setup (just Analog Four Mk2 and Digitone) for the whole year, not buying anything or changing what’s on my desk. So far it’s really helped me focus on learning those machines in depth. I’ve been making exciting discoveries and making new music every day. So, thanks everyone! You’re all very smart and awesome. I bet this sub-community is helping others make more music in 2022, even if they’re not part of the conversation.

7 Likes

Agreed. I made a commitment on this thread earlier this year. Haven’t succumbed to GAS as of yet lol. Really diving into what I have currently and learning to make the most of my gear. Finding new and creative ways to work. Before I even think of purchasing anything I ask myself if what I currently have in my setup can accomplish the task. This thread has helped tremendously.

4 Likes

“Ultimately it became “In Pursuit of Imperfection” which is essentially a study about why lofi approaches are so appealing to contemporary producers, but ideally I’d like to expand it via a doctorate at some point.”

I would really be interested in that, especially where that originated. If you listen to e.g. Dj Premier talk about making beats back in the day, I fell like he (and maybe many others) did their best to overcome the limitations of the gear back then. Which are now the same limitations that make those beats sound special to us and why people are paying high amounts for SP-1200s and MPC 60s.

So where in time was that point when that shifted. When “perfection” was so easily achieved that imperfection was pursuited. I think it can be found in many parts of musical history even earlier (punk rock comes to my mind immediately).

I am very spilt on this matter personally. While i appreciate well produced and recorded music a lot, I think nothing is more boring than absolute perfection.

4 Likes

There’s a point whereby the standard of sampling became 44.1 khz/16-bit which effectively marked the point where the S950, SP12/1200, EPS 16, MPC60 etc had been surpassed, technologically speaking, and yet units which are theoretically superior are far less desirable than those original golden era hip-hop machines. That’s kind of the jumping off point. I tried not to make it solely hip-hop based, but I will concede that I’m so grounded in it that it informs everything else. The concept draws in things like the desire to dirty up samples, not just via sampler are reduction and bitcrushing, but also things like vinyl and tape simulations. The medium is “The Message” :wink:

The issue I have with perfection is that “to err is human” and I ultimately want to hear the humanity in my music. That doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy the rigidity of a drum machine - far from it - but if the whole track has that rigidity it feels cold (and I appreciate that’s desirable for others). Combining clean with dirty is very effective; or rigid with unpredictable. Having a consistent sequence repeating and then playing with sending elements of it through modulation effects creates movement where none previously existed. When the modulation is via things like tape or BBD delays it has that element or degradation too, which can take pristine sounds into entirely new, heavily trodden terrain. That’s what fascinates me. It’s why I also like probability-based sequences too. To kind of collaborate with the machine. It’s like you and a drummer coming up with a drum part and then enjoying them drop hits in and out here and there to give it motion and progression.

3 Likes

Would love to hear some, if you feel up to sharing, maybe on https://www.elektronauts.com/t/current-sounds-coming-from-your-gear ?

1 Like

Oho OK, will do! Thanks

1 Like

I’ve ‘fallen off the wagon’ and sinned. Purchased a Lyra 8 a couple of weeks ago after an ex demo one popped up in blue, and I’d been after one for a while…

It all stemmed from my usual weakness-selling things! I decided to list my Force after getting a eBay 80% off fees deal… it sold, then I realised I didn’t even want to sell it, so I looked into re-buying (seriously WTF!!) realised that would literally be throwing money away, then stumbled across the Lyra and thought I’d take that instead…

I’m fairly sure if I hadn’t listed the Force for sale none of this would have happened. A lesson against selling for me perhaps…

Note-I’m still selling my Polyend Tracker though as I’ve realised it gives me motion sickness looking and using the thing!!!

3 Likes

Sin noted :wink:

Heh, I think this won’t last for me. Just no “space” for it in my set up. The price made me buy it. But will probably move it on in a week or two

1 Like

I struggle with this too. I don’t “need” anything but then “I’ve never seen one at that price before!”

2 Likes

Guys, you’re making it so hard for yourself by still looking for bargains and good deals.

The whole point of NGNY is spending in depth time with the gear you already have and to get rid of the “bargain habit” right?

You can just quit the NGNY challenge if you’re not taking it seriously. The extra stress you create for yourself isn’t worth it then.

9 Likes

In a way I agree but I kinda look at it like I want to ”face my demons”, if you know what I mean? Like, I want to learn how to look at a good 2nd hand deal and go ”I don’t need that” or even ”I don’t want that”. Cos I think that’ll put me in a better position in the long run than just blocking some gear sites (after all, I’m still on Elektronauts every day). And I think I’ve made progress already. Not saying I won’t relapse let alone buy anything ever. I think three months since my last purchase is a personal best, and trust me I know how sad that sounds! :smile: Obviously I’m not gonna stop now.

Although I haven’t had quite as much time for music this year as I’d have liked, I’ve also made progress with my Elektrons, in particular. Learning certain functions and/or sound design better on the MnM/MD and trying new, different and/or more optimal workflows on the Octatrack, for example. One thing especially with the OT that made me go ”how could I have been so stupid” (which, of course, isn’t rare with the OT).

So, loving the quality time with the Elektrons! :heart:

3 Likes

I’ve sold off about half of my gear these last 2 months and I’ve resisted the urge to get something else with the money. I was worried that I’d cave but honestly I’m pretty bored of most products on the market right now.

9 Likes

Selling and not getting something new with the cash is strong-respect for that!

2 Likes

I’ve found something similar - the more I learn about the gear I’ve chosen to keep on the desk, the less I feel the need for new stuff.
I’ve sold quite a bit already this year and am thinking now of selling things I previously thought I never could, I surely have more gear than I can actually learn in this lifetime! If I’m ever going to finish any music I’ve got to keep away from the gear aspect of this and focus on the sounds coming out of what I have.
Also, if I had the setup I’ve got now and nothing else when I was starting out on this, I would have been ecstatic.

8 Likes

The English saying ‘money burning a hole in your pocket’ is very apt. Getting some cash back from selling gear makes you want to spend it again.

Absolutely. You don’t need any gear to make music if you know your way around a DAW. Even if you go fully DAWless you could get by with just a single sampler. All the stuff we buy is just optional.

We’re just having fun right? I like nerding out about synths. The problem is a lot of us fall into a trap of buying more and more of them. We stop being musicians and become just another type of consumer.

6 Likes

Yes theres a huge overlap and its getting harder to see the wood for the trees.

1 Like

I think it’s more important to do it because of those responsibilities. To be an example for your children to learn from. That you accomplish those things even though mere mortals would perish and fail.

If I can do it while dealing with all this, they can do it while dealing with their own difficulties too.

It’s makes me realize how much more I could have done before arriving here though.

8 Likes

How’s everybody doing?? Now that the NGNY has been on for couple of months it would be interesting to hear what kind of affect it has had on your well-being and productivity.

I have never been this productive musically, ever. New tracks are piling up and fresh music projects are blossoming. It’s weird but all of the symptoms of GAS are gone too.

The anxiety of lusting after new stuff while not learning to use the gear I own is gone.
It has been one hell of a shopping spree for years and I’m so happy it’s over.
The important thing now is to never let that kind of foolishness happen again.

16 Likes