NGEN – Algorithmic MIDI Workstation

I love the idea behind this. The website currently says ‘sold out’ - any idea when it becomes available to order, and what the best way is to secure one? I’m in Europe.

1 Like

looks super powerful, and i’m really hoping this company and others start to turn the MIDI generators/sequencers/effects hardware devices into a more robust market. there’s a lot of untapped potential there and the NGEN is looking unique and interesting based on the intro video. Turing, Polyform, Shuffle, Drumgen, Thru, all look really cool and useful. slick and informational video too!

however, i absolutely cannot imagine trying to use that thumb-sized screen with only 4 knobs + 4 buttons for a multi-output studio jam controlling a dozen pieces of kit. i’m not anti-small devices, but there’s no way i could personally consider this. i imagine for some who have a few specific needs for it, it might work great…a small live setup in conjunction with some live playing or something maybe? i hope it does well and they build some bigger devices in the future :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi there,

It seems like it’s sold out, when are you planning to make another batch available? Posso receber no Brasil ou nos USA, em caso ajuda na entrega.

Saudações

I looked at this, and while I was interested at first, all the demos felt very samey, like it does one thing pretty week, but only that. I could see this being a T1 companion, but I’d need to see a wider range from it.

The first batch was veeery limited so it sold out in less than 3 minutes. Now that I have a better understanding of the demand I’m looking into a couple of different options going forward.
I’m currently not doing waiting lists because they end up being a lot more work than just doing open pre-orders but I’ve spoken to Tim from MIDI Amsterdam and we might be able to have some units available through his store in the future.

I’m really glad you liked the concept behind NGEN @ecthroi! :slight_smile:
I can totally understand if the small form-factor is not super appealing to some people. This was the form-factor I first had in mind mostly because I personally enjoy smaller devices.
I’ve made the NGEN “OS” very modular so that it could be ported to other hardware form-factors in the future so it’s definitely possible.
I’m still working solo so there’s a limit on how much I can work on by myself but I’m always open to new ideas.

Btw, it’d worth checking out the MIDI implementation. You can control pretty much everything in NGEN via MIDI CC so you could use a controller with it.

Yo! Vou tentar fazer um mini lote especial pro pessoal do Brasil! Me manda uma DM que eu te aviso quando tiver novidades!

Totally fair. I think I ended up choosing demos that were very close to the style of music I had in mind for this device.
Any other genres you’d like to see in future demos?
I’ll be working on more videos this week to give a more in-depth look into the different features and I can work on some other demos.

7 Likes

Yeah jeroen020, the same thing for me with their ACDGEN product ( thread ).
The first release sold out in a heartbeat, so i just got one later. I’d rather have it this way, a few at a time, rather than a massive crowd source project, with skadie-zillion orders, and a big wait.

Spektro Audio may be smaller, but they make good products.

This is a good approach to things.

1 Like

Something ambient would be fun, or some sparse and polyrhythmic percussion-focused stuff, and even just some songs where there are significant builds and transitions, beyond just parts coming and going or density changing. Basically, stuff that shows off the range.

2 Likes

Gotcha! Thanks! I’ll definitely try to do something in that direction in the next demos.
These sorts of demos do end up being a bit longer than what I usually do for these overview videos so I’m thinking if it’d be a good idea to just upload some longer demos separately.
Hopefully the upcoming tutorials will help people get a better sense of that range as well.

Yeah, I’ve thought about crowdfunding but I really think it’d end up backfiring for both me and everybody else.
At this point I’d much rather scale thing up at a rate I can keep up with.

2 Likes

this is a great point, i could see this being leading to an ideal & unique setup for some users

Something aggressive might go well with mono riffs and the drum algo, I’m a sucker for Industrial techno. (Also own ACDGEN already.)

2 Likes

This looks really cool!
Wish there was a DIY version, the price as it is now is quite steep, already punching in the class of Pyramid etc. price wise.
Selling Kits or PCB/Chip set could also unload a lot of work from you :slight_smile:

Just posted a new demo based on @thermionic’s idea for something more aggressive!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cn7WwDaA2N2/

4 Likes

$599 ?
hm, iPad + Mozaic is certainly cheaper… oh wait, i already paid for them.

I paid $15 or so ages back for ACDGen but (while many more algos obviously) boutique hardware is necessarily going to rise in value :slight_smile:

For the work of one person, I think it’s fair.

5 Likes

I’ve thought about offering kits but at this point is not very doable at this point, mostly because I can barely get enough parts for pre-built units. I might do it for other projects in the future tho!
In regards to the price, it’s mostly because it’s currently being hand-assembled in Brazil and getting components imported and parts manufactured (like the custom steel chassis and polycarbonate overlay) is very expansive at a small scale here, specially with the quality I’m going for.
I do hope I can reduce that price in the future if I manage to scale production and perhaps move to it a manufacturing facility.

7 Likes

i absolutely don’t mind, just looking at it from my consumer’s perspective.
i always have a lot of interest to MIDI processing stuff, but on the other hand, i do my own – that’s my secret weapon. so, comparison is inevitable )

1 Like

I’m still in my honeymoon phase with it, for sure, but all I can say is that the NGEN is realy great fun!

2 Likes

Thread starter here. I totally forgot about the NGEN :grinning:

After I forgot about the NGEN, other new shiny things caught my eye like the Torso T-1.

But now I got the Push 3 and preordered Live 12. So I’m holding off on buying new shinies until I get more clarity on how Push 3 will work with MIDI generative stuff that is part of Live 12.

2 Likes

Same here. If Abelton and Push can take the Torso T1 off my GAS list, that would be great. I’ve heard that, so far, Live’s new midi tools aren’t controllable from the Push though, which is surprising. But maybe they will better integrate them with the Push in a future update? Hope so.