Newbie Question: What is a "Bank"?

Thing is, I just cannot figure out what a “Bank” is in the world of Model:Samples.

I’ve really tried to… I’ve done a CMD F on the official MS User Manual and the word “Bank” is mentioned 28 times–but it is never defined or explained. I’ve also tried Google and watched True Cuckoo’s excellent Mega Tutorial, but to no avail.

This is embarrassingly basic stuff, I know, but I’m the kind of learner who needs to completely understand the terrain before I go exploring. Can any of you kind Elektronats please explain it to me?

A bank is a group of something

There are 6 banks of e.g. patterns on the MS

so each bank of patterns is accessed by pressing a Track (think of it as Banks A>F) and each individual pattern is selected by pressing a trig (think of those as #1-16 where # is A>F)

That way you have 96 patterns
A1 A2 A3 …/ … A16 B1 … / … F15 F16

Each bank is a group of 16 patterns

Some devices have banks of sounds and so on

Bank is not an Elektron term, it’s a well established concept/designation for grouping stuff

2 Likes

page 21 of the model:sample manual gives a little explanation of pattern/bank

2 Likes

Thank you folks!

I thought it was a specific term referring to an aspect of MS’s inner workings… it makes complete sense as a general term.

Now I can begin my journey! :grinning:

1 Like

it’s like a folder in computer terms. a folder(bank) contains a bunch of similar items. sounds, patterns for example.

2 Likes

Thanks Steve