Newbie doubt - sync with DAW

Hey guys, newbie here. I’m considering buying a model:samples as I’d like to have a piece of hardware to program the drums and bass (in addition to the soft synths and vocals to be added at a later stage of the songwriting) outside Ableton. Could I, say, record a bass sample on my soft synth and then send it to model:samples where I could create a bass progression based on that sound? To sequence it while changing its pitch? Do you think this would be an efficient workflow?

Sorry for the ridiculous question. Thank you very much.

Efficient? Not really.

Just to name just a few “inefficiencies”: If you want to change the sample just slightly, you need to upload it again (and again and again). Then there are the restrictions of the step sequencer and without Overbridge and Total Recall you need to manage parts of the project in two different places (until its finished and you resample it back into Ableton).

Hardware gear like the Model:Samples shines when you want to create some beats without being always connected to your DAW. But when you are, something like the Push will be much more efficient and more versatile.

BUT: when you load some samples up into the Model:Samples and then take it somewhere else (to the coach, outdoors, wherever) and make some beats before coming back to the computer again, well, then this may be at least fun and inspiring (still not efficient though).

2 Likes

Well, that’s exactly what I needed to know. Thank you very much for helping out!