New to Elektron questions about minimalizing my setup with Digitone+Digitakt+AHMK2

Hello, I’m a new user to the forum. Thanks for having me. I’m trying to put together a smaller setup with my Digitone. I absolutely love it, and have a Digitakt and Analog Heat MK II arriving this week, and was wondering what would be the best small setup with those 3? I was thinking I could use the Digitakt as the brains , mostly all beats, samples, the Digitone for keys, and Analog Heat to control effects on both? Or , use my Beatstep Pro as the main sequencer for DN + DT, with AHMK2 as effects? Currently I’m using MPC One + DN , Beatstep as sequencer with optional Keystep and another one of my synths, with a Heath & Allen Zed 10 mixer, and Scarlett 2i2 if I want to record. I just want to minimize setup to be DAWless , and switch the MPC One to a different synth for the DT with DN with the DT and use the AHMK2 for effects on either or both, and the biggest question I have is whether or not to use DT’s sequencer with just the DN and AHMK2, or use the Beatstep Pro as main sequencer, which would basically be DN, DT from Beatstep pro, to Zed 10 mixer, to AHMK2? As Id want to sequence DN+DT, and be able to use the Analog Heat on each at separate times, and not have them both be affected by the AH ? Sorry if this is confusing. I’m just wondering if it’s a better idea to add the beatstep pro and mixer, or to just go with the 3 Elektron pieces.

Thanks so much

I have a DT and a DN that I got about 2 months apart. I haven’t used my BSP since I got either, which I used to sequence an iPad with. And that’s literally all the hardware I own. The Elektron sequencers are infinitely more superior and are an integral part of getting the most out of either box sonically. The BSP might be useful to sequence a drum machine or couple monosynths with, but you can already sequence (both more powerfully and with CC/parameter control) 4 (DN) or 8 (DT) midi tracks without the BSP. The BSP could add velocity sensitive pads to either machine. Or sequence or convert midi to CV to control analog gear. But if your sound is coming from the DT and DN (through the AH) I see no reason for the BSP.

1 Like

Ok, thank you, that’s what I was figuring with the DN+ DT, but wasn’t sure once I added the AH into the equation. If I’m going both DN and DT into AH, won’t AH’s effect affect both DN+DT? Or does the AH just have enough separate ins that I can grit/distort one and not the other, or both if I want? That’s why I was wondering about using my mixer, but I was assuming both could equally go into the AH , and I could alter either. Thank You so much! I’ll save the Beatstep Pro to sequence my other standalone synths and MPC or Drumbrute. I really appreciate it!!!

DT stereo out into stereo AH in, AH stereo out into DN stereo in would give you a full signal path without a mixer; AH would only be on the sampler. You could go in reverse DT only lets you hear mono so you lose all that stereo goodness. Alternatively, DT into DN into AH and all would be going through the AH. Or you could take a mono from each and put it into the AH, but someone with an AH would have to chime in if there’s a reason to do so. I actually am not very familiar with it. You might just want to play around and see if you want everything going through the AH (if so, go Digitakt stereo into Digitone stereo into Heat stereo); you’ll have to go into the digitone’s master page (function lfo) to turn the input up and pan it properly. Or if you want just the heat on the digitakt, the first way I described. If you want the heat on only the digitone in stereo and the Digitakt unaffected, you either need to use the digitakts mono inputs and lose the stereo from the digitone and heat combo, or then you’ll need a mixer.

1 Like

Wow. Thank You! Ok, great! I’m covered either way, bc if I play around, and decide I need my mixer, my H&A Z10 is ready to go, so I think all bases are covered. Thank You so much! I really appreciate it! I can’t wait for the DT and AH to arrive on Wednesday. I absolutely love the Digitone, dare I say more than any of my synths, and just can’t wait to get them synced up, and dive in. I appreciate the info, and time you took to respond. Thanks again!