New to Digitone! What did you wish you knew when you first got it?

hi all,

Can’t wait to get stuck in - any tips for a newbie?
In particular - anything you wish you’d known right at the start?

I do like jumping in and playing, discovering for myself, but thought it was worth putting the question out there if anyone is feeling generous!

Thanks!

2 Likes

This question makes me realize that I haven’t learned anything about it…

Good luck!

3 Likes

I would suggest reading the existing topics for new Digitone owners:

4 Likes

I think I mostly I just watched a ton of youtube tutorials and read up on FM.

I guess a feature I wished was there when I first started was probability without having to set a p-lock. So I guess don’t forget that when you think a particular track is too busy or prominent you can thin it out by making the notes only trigger 50% of the time. It sometimes will make a new melody I like, just by leaving out some notes.

1 Like

Perfect. I’m one in a long line of new users :slight_smile:

1 Like

One of the reasons I got a Digitone was for it’s probability functions, and self-generating tools.

Yeah I’ve watched so many YouTube videos already they’ve been so helpful in what’s possible. All very inspiring.

1 Like

If you aren’t familiar with FM synthesis, get some basic knowledge about modulating the operators and what algorithms are.

But with the DN FM is almost only fun and you can tweak the knobs and get some great results even without beeing a FM master :wink:

The Elektron sequencers are very deep, easy to use, and give us many different options to create pattern. It’s worth the time to learn all the possibilities inside out.

2 Likes

Cranking the resonance on the filter to get nice acid type sounds.

3 Likes

Resonance with drive for added squelch.

2 Likes

Even better! I’m really starting to enjoy the Master Overdrive. But going in clean also sounds great.

1 Like

• Try an LFO on harmonics/detune/feedback when a sound is a bit static.
• It’s difficult to make “soft” pads.
• Add delay and reverb to chorus for extra weirdness.
• Change the scale for some tracks to 1/2x and pattern length to 128 steps. Works well for pads.
• Pan sounds with the parameter locks to create more space.

5 Likes

One thing I found when I cranked it on for the first time, was how slow the LFO was. Am I missing something in terms of making it go really fast? I assume it won’t go into audio rate?

One secret weapon is LAYER in the Voice Menu. Combine with P-Locks and LFOs, this is a killer feature.

5 Likes

The multiplier goes up to 2k, seems pretty fast to me? Check out p 52 of the User Manual for more info about the LFOs.

1 Like

You can get pretty cool effects with layering when voice stealing starts to occur too.

1 Like

:+1::+1::+1:

They can get quite fast, easily into audible. Go to the LFO2 page.

I missed the modifier function. Thanks.

Being able to adjust multiple trigs at once for plocks.

Mind the input L/R level while using it as a slave with the DT.

1 Like