New Teenage Engineering products

Thanks, finally a video where people don’t just talk lol.

TE really needs to make the effects controllable with MIDI but these effects sound pretty good to me.

Are you gonna do a video with the synth and drum engines next? Also, without saying what it is, have you found the Easter egg?

1 Like

I might be doing a demo of the synth and drums… but I’m honestly very Luke warm about them… if I’m in the mood I might :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I have not found the Easter egg yet!

2 Likes

Is it possible to press two neighbouring mute buttons at the same time, or do you need fingers like chopsticks?
1 and 3 seem do-able but 1 and 2 at once seem very close together but not close enough for one finger.

you can press 2 buttons with one finger without a problem…
just to make clear i have not accidentally pressed two buttons at any time. but if you place your finger in between two button you can easily press both at the same time

TE sent out a newsletter with a link to an interview with the main Developer of the TX-6. In the first image are some conspicuously pixel-blurred things on the desks of the folks in the background.

I apologize in advance for fueling the machine.

3 Likes

Everyone has a Casio VL-Tone on their desk! :hugs:

I don’t know, pocket sized battery powered Field Recording Interface/Standalone Mixers are like buses, none for ages then 2 come at once :slight_smile:

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/news/?id=iRigQuattroRelease

2 Likes

Really nice that it has VU meters

1 Like

OP-2 confirmed

4 Likes

Let me start my de-blurr software real quick. Then I need to hammer with my fingers on the keyboard like I mean it and…. Tadaa!
It’s even sharper than it was when the photo was taken.
Oh wait. No. It still looks the same. That’s odd.

1 Like

Now that was funny. I wonder who owns RED gear thought to himself yeah man I so gonna get me some IK cheap interface for my recordings just so I could get the ultimate result. :laughing:

Edit: to make it even worse for a cheap interface (it’s not really at 350,-) you don’t even get the power supply included. :man_facepalming:

I don’t know much about IK hardware (although I have read their guitar interfaces are good) but you can normally get 30% off their list prices with their Jam Points. These will probably be closer to 200 street prices…either way it’s another choice in a market that didn’t really exist 2 weeks ago!

Just got the TX-6 and fiddled around with it for about a half hour to get some first impressions.

Build quality is definitely excellent. It has a bit of a weight to it that reminded me of the first time I held an OP-1. The screen looks nice and is readable and has a good refresh rate (I was a bit afraid it would be like the Model: Cycles but it’s not). The knobs all feel sturdy and the faders feel great to move, the buttons feel great as does twisting the larger knob. The faux leather material on the back feels pretty convincing.

I think all the effects sound pretty nice. The EQ, compressor, and track filters are all very useful effects. The reverbs are probably the best sounding reverbs TE has made so far but they do ring a bit in the high end, I wish there was some dampening option. The chorus, especially the subtle chorus, sound nice as do the bit reduction and distortion models. The tape stop comes in three flavors: short, longer, and ping pong which is really just reversing and playing back the tape stop on loop. The freeze effect is pretty cool and surprising but essentially it freezes the incoming audio sort of like a reverb freeze works. It sounds like it takes a small snippet of audio and loops it back and forth and you can then pitch it up and down, really neat effect I did not expect.

The one effect that’s kinda meh to me is the performance filter which seems to be modeled after a ladder filter as pumping the resonance makes the low end drop out. It also just doesn’t sound that good in my opinion, but maybe it’s because I have options with master filters, personally.

I wanted to test how well it could drive headphones so I tested with Audio Technica M50s (38 ohms) and Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pros (250 ohms). I was actually quite surprised how well it could drive my 1990s though it’s still quite a bit quieter than the M50s, which makes sense. But if all you had was higher ohm headphones this shouldn’t sound disappointing in my opinion. Still, for me and the idea of traveling my M50s are what I’d be using anyways, my 1990s are for my studio setup.

Last thing I wanted to test is to see if it would work with Maschine+ (And by extension, Linux) and so I plugged it in with a USB-C to USB-A cable and lo and behold, it just worked. Now for the cost of a Maschine+ I can give my Maschine+ 12 inputs! I do think the TX-6 does sound a bit better than the audio interface that’s built into the Maschine+ though. I’d imagine this would work with the MPC line as well but it kinda makes me laugh thinking of someone buying a $1200 micro mixer to expand their $800 sampler.

It’s pretty nice when plugging an input it the device asks if you want it to be a split channel, mono channel, or stereo channel, no menu diving to set it up. Everything is pretty intuitive with how it works.

One gripe I will say is the “leather” back while feeling nice to the touch does nothing as far as gripping the surface it’s laying on. My computer desk is wood and I tried other surfaces and it doesn’t grip at all. I don’t think it’s a huge deal because moving the faders move smoothly and you can definitely function without it sliding around but little rubber legs would have been better.

12 Likes

Nice overview, rubber stoppers on the base seem like a big oversight. @MichaalHell 's YT demo showcases the effects really well.

do you think the TX6 is worth the high price tag?

the OB-4 “Magic Radio” is.

and it’s worth every cycle in Ambient mode while feeded by the mutables.

I hope this transforms into the “recorder” and “fx” and guitar amp, looper combo when attached to the OP-Z via Bluetooth.

making it the big external module and head of the field line :100:

2 Likes

That’s really a question people have to ask themselves I guess.

If you value everything this has to offer and you look at cheaper alternatives you make quite a few compromises in either feature set, size, battery, inputs.

If someone already has a mixer that’s working for them then there’s no reason to get this. I didn’t have a mixer so this was easier to justify. Given what’s on the market and what’s out there I don’t think the price point of $600 people were arbitrarily expecting it to be makes much sense. I think it might be about $200 more expensive then I would expect (and the $1000 price tag would be with the TE tax) but this is a custom design and probably batched much smaller.

I’m probably not the best person to ask because I have an OB-4 (though I do feel like everyone who talked shit about it have probably never heard one in person and they did review well against Bluetooth speakers in its price category but I digress). Now that I have it I don’t feel that it’s a waste of money and Im already coming up with possibilities on how I can use it.

Oh yeah, and I didn’t bring up the synth engines or anything. Honestly they kinda land where I expected them to. They are glorified metronomes. Definitely a gimmick (but the kinda stuff I expect from TE). I do think the drum sounds actually do sound quite good but none of that stuff should be a focus on whether you buy it.

4 Likes

How about $349 ? No internal recoding either, but looks legit

1 Like

I’ve seen radio written in several places, but the spec sheets seems not to list it. Perhaps they mean the Bluetooth radio.

Is there an FM radio in it?

its an FM Radio

as TE is avoiding the use of either a 2-pole (mono cable) or 4-Pole /TRRS) cable but without directing to any reference of damage

I think someone should try out some configurations…my guess is its also TRRS and a 2 pole gets you mono line output and a TRRS splitter some INS and OUTs

hopefully something to achieve