New Teenage Engineering products

OP-Z

1 Like

huh, interesting. Iā€™ve read up on it a little and perhaps a happy medium between the two might be ideal, ie. not keeping it charging constantly but also not letting it discharge completely.
(edit: keeping it charging while in use isnā€™t really an option imo)
Either way, 16 hours of battery time is pretty amazing, and even if it decreases to half that in 6 months Iā€™ll be happy. Shit, even my gameboy micros running nanoloop only last about 5 hours max.

Z-transformation?

[quote="ā€œpseloduxā€"]

huh, interesting. Iā€™ve read up on it a little and perhaps a happy medium between the two might be ideal, ie. not keeping it charging constantly but also not letting it discharge completely.
(edit: keeping it charging while in use isnā€™t really an option imo)
Either way, 16 hours of battery time is pretty amazing, and even if it decreases to half that in 6 months Iā€™ll be happy. Shit, even my gameboy micros running nanoloop only last about 5 hours max.[/quote]

well, with respect the OP-1ā€¦for home use, charging in use should be doable. get a really long cable if needs be. for portable use, what I was considering was powering it with one of those micro-usb power packs that are pretty common/cheap right now. not quite as sexy but not a PITA either and if it protects my 900 euro investment Iā€™m all for it.

thatā€™s something that Iā€™ve considered if the battery ever becomes unusable. It wouldnā€™t be too cumbersome if it were physically attached to the back with velcro or adhesiveā€¦

perhaps you donā€™t ā€˜getā€™ what Iā€™m saying, my misgivings arenā€™t with feature set. theyā€™re with well documented build quality issues. if youā€™re ok with build quality ranging from so-so to significant, frequently documented problems for a premium price, then thatā€™s ok too ā€¦ but I just want to make sure weā€™re on the same page here.[/quote]
BloopityDoopity Iā€™ve got a second-hand OP-1 for 18 months now, and all I can say is that the build quality of it is impressive. The battery still last something like 10 hours, and I do test its longevity quite often.

As soon as I leave the OP-1 on my desk, my son sneak and play with it while Iā€™m out, usually brutalize the encoders. Yet I havenā€™t noticed any problem so far on this side (or any other for that matter).
My son even let it fall on the floor from his 1m-high handā€¦ I shout very loud, and the OP-1 shows a little scratch, but here again, no trouble with anything, it still works like a charm.

Some people lately encountered problems with the display of a recently acquired OP-1, but it seemed the package had had some trouble. In one case that I know, some component quality was not as expectedā€¦ In each case the OP-1 was replaced oc.

When someone has some trouble, usually operator-1.com ace community comes up with advises and get it sorted.

The people that built it even put some Easter eggs inside (hw+sw), which shows some level of commitment with what they were building at that timeā€¦

I really feel like the OP-1 is very seriously built to last, and I canā€™t understand why you talk about quality issues on a device you apparently donā€™t own.
I do believe you have no real clue what youā€™re talking about.

and posts like this are the kind of ā€˜cult of personalityā€™ ā€¦ or should I say ā€˜cult of brandā€™ that one comes to expect when trying ti dispassionately discuss a products pros and cons in the presence of those who have ā€˜drunk the kool aideā€™

I donā€™t know how you go about spending 900 euro, but I, and I imagine others like me, tend to do a bit of research first. Particularly user feedback. Have I mis-represented myself ? No. I have represented myself as someone who likes the feature set, wants to buy one, but can not overcome the documented issues with build quality. Have I no right to express this POV ? Is that what you are telling me ? I have not pretended to be an owner, nor have I made my comments in an ambiguous fashion that someone could come away thinking that. My comments are clearly made. And you are entitled to wade in and say ā€˜oh, but I own one and mine is fineā€™ ā€¦as you have done. Do you think it renders my POV moot ? I donā€™t think so ā€¦ I never suggested that I encountered 100% dissatisfaction in build quality when researching the topic. Just that it comes up frequently enough for me to cool my proverbial jets.

As far as the Li-on batery side-topic goes, once again, if you have some reason to believe I ā€˜dont know what Iā€™m talking aboutā€™ - by all means say so. My research on this topic is that fully discharging to preserve battery life is a myth, and that keeping such batteries charged as much as possible is best in the long run. I have invited others not to take my word on this - but to research the topic fully themselves. Again, if you find this POV objectionable I advise you to perhaps drink less of the kool aide.

good day.

ā€œdocumented issues with build qualityā€ Nice. Thats it?

:slight_smile:

Besides that, letā€™s try not to make this thread spin out of control and become a flame war. New stuff at NAMM guys. OP-Z.

I think Dalai was just asking for some clarification on the build quality issues youā€™ve researched. Iā€™ve looked into the OP1 a fair bit and it seems like as long as itā€™s not defective out of the box and you donā€™t mind having a non-replaceable battery, itā€™s good to go for years of abuse.

Tips for extending the lifespan of liion batteries:

• Donā€™t fully discharge unless you need to reset the battery indicator
  • If youā€™re not going to use the device for a while, the optimal charge level is around 70%. Fully charged and fully discharged are equally bad here.

I wonder what this OP-Z is. Could this be an actual OP-1 successor as well as the rumoured new Pocket Operators?

You have right to express whatever you want.
Sorry if I seemed too passionate. I like this instrument for what it does, even if some things are lacking like stereo recording for instance.
I bought my OP-1 second hand for less than 450ā‚¬ and I have no trouble with the instrument. I do use it quite a lot, even crafted whole tracks with it.
Iā€™m not sure about ā€œcult of brandā€ thing, all I said about TE is that their instrument shows quite some commitment from its builders, both inside hardware and software. Iā€™m not sure Iā€™m a TE fanboy. I like their toys, for sure.
Now about battery there are two things to know :

1. The battery meter does not systematically totally reset when the battery is fully charged. A way to reset it is to eject the OP-1 from a computer like a USB-key. Anyway, the OP-1 works its 10 hours OK, even if Roxane does not reach the red light.

2. When the battery of the OP-1 is totally down, it takes a lot of time to charge and come to life again. Itā€™s something about the nature of the battery, I read somewhere on operator-1.com

I havenā€™t read something about build quality flaws on operator-1 (a site that I often visit).

BD I found you were a bit insistant on the poor quality of an instrument I actually know very well, so I felt like I had something to say to this matter.
Now I donā€™t want this thread to burst in flames, so letā€™s keep it cool, alright.

1 Like

Looks interesting -

https://www.teenageengineering.com/products/op-z

1 Like

No complaints about the build quality of my OP-1, in general. A lot of OP-1 users complaint about noise when the USB cable is plugged into a computer - thatā€™s about it.

One thing you cannot tell from pictures or videos is how surprisingly heavy it is. Ok, not as heavy as a Hammond B3, lol, but the housing is not what it appears to be (plastic) - its a much more robust material.

One of the comments here says next OP-1 update is coming in April. Unlike the Octatrack OS updates. seems like half the OP-1 updates since the initial release have been to add major functionality (new synth engine, new drum engine, new sequencer).

1 Like

New PO info online as well. Arcade might be my first PO purchase. Robot sounds like it might overlap. Maybe I need to get both. :joy:

https://www.teenageengineering.com/products/po

VERY interesting. Intriguing button layout.

Hopefully the absence of a large OLED screen will mean it is priced closer to the POs than the OP-1.

just ordered the new 3 ā€¦ i liked the sound demos ā€¦ arcade and robot sounded more interesting than office.

theyr good for sample fodder .

that Z thing looks interesting but its probably a little expensive.

only other thing thats been of interest for me is the volca fm (if its real)ā€¦
and itll be interesting to see how those new software modules open up the aria fx units.

and waiting for new os for elektron boxes.

Hopefully the absence of a large OLED screen will mean it is priced closer to the POs than the OP-1.[/quote]
Holy shit! 16 tracks! Video synth!
I think there might be a screen on there, canā€™t imagine that much complexity without it.

HYPE.

OP-Z looks very interesting to me. ā€œVideo synthesisā€?!

Not fussy for the PO pieces to be honest but great to see some more nice and affordable bits of gear

Hopefully the absence of a large OLED screen will mean it is priced closer to the POs than the OP-1.[/quote]
Holy shit! 16 tracks! Video synth!
I think there might be a screen on there, canā€™t imagine that much complexity without it.

HYPE.[/quote]
Maybe the video synth means itā€™ll be hooked up to a computer all the time hence the lack of screen? Or am I missing what a video synth is? :joy:

That purpdaddy Arcade is calling my name! Office is a collection of resampled vintage gear, and robot has its own digital synthesis engine from what I hear. Arcade is all about da chip tunes