New Teenage Engineering products coming to NAMM2017?

Can the opz sequnce recorded video we capture on ios devices? Kind of reminds me of video toaster :slight_smile:

Ordered mine as well. Wohoo!

I think this is the first model which will be worth getting even the screen protector for (bought pro cases for the first three POs and have been recycling them on whichever PO I might happen to be using)

Iā€™ve also been dabbling with making a scratch looper, running a PO rhythm through my Analog Heat. Some of these patterns have turned out sounding killer, looking forward to running the tonic through the AH :heat::heat::heat:

3 Likes

I might even get a second instance later on! depends on how much mileage Iā€™ll get. Two tonics into a DJ mixer, a delay pedal, master into AH might even suffice as a gig rig for some brutal traxx jams

You know what we also need? an iOS/Android port of microtonic. Should be light enough for the CPU I reckon. Patch design with your iPhone, iPad etc? yes pls

1 Like

daaamn OP-Z sounds dope!
That sequencer is next level, instant want!!
I read it has a dedicated midi track, so would it trasfer midi over the USB-C port?
Curious for the sounds it can create too.

ha. I just almost impulsed ordered one right now because of you; the gold stylings were pushing me near the edge.

vhehe hey donā€™t blame me for being enthusiastic! Perhaps you want to try this thing at a store before jumping on it. Thatā€™s the sane way to do it anyway. But Iā€™m a sucker for these POs, always have been. IIRC I ordered the PO 2nd wave units as soon as I saw them over a shaky NAMM periscope feed, based on the 1st wave alone.

I have trouble convincing myself I donā€™t need this little fragile/expensive/nice sounding/innovative objectā€¦
I love PO-12 so muchā€¦

1 Like

Oh absolutely. Itā€™s a part of the sound!

1 Like

Think Iā€™m going to grab a PO-32 once itā€™s on sale without the VST. Iā€™m sure there will be more than enough user banks floating around to keep me happy; I never really gelled with the microtonic interface although the sounds are good.

Yeah, and didnā€™t they advertise some kind of web service which you can use to upload sounds to the unit even if you donā€™t have the VST version?

If the software had a standalone version, I may have ultimately been swayed. In order to use it, Iā€™d have to fire up a DAW. If I went through all that work, I think Iā€™d rather just sequence it, add effects & automation, save patches, etc. with the limitless power of that DAW sitting right in front of me rather than tediously going back n forth with the PO-32ā€™s workflow.

I think thereā€™s an online microtonic patch repository but unclear whether thereā€™ll be some kind of official PO-32-compatible patch sharer. In any case itā€™s just audio snippets so Iā€™m sure some sharing system will emerge from users organically.

Standalone version entering beta testing soon on Mac.

3 Likes

Shame the cases for these arenā€™t landing till april!

from the TE website:

So the VST is not mandatory.
Iā€™ve never used microtonic, just heard alot of praise for it. Checking now the capabilities of it, and I do like what Iā€™m seeing here

This will pair beautifully with a volca sample IMO. Samples and synth drums (and seems like melodic sounds are possible too?), battery powered, very easy to lug around. I hope every pattern can have their own set of 4 sounds.

EDIT: oh boy, patternarium is dope! Never seen such a patch repository before. Impressive! So you can just ā€œcultivateā€ your sounds and patterns algorithmically and upload to the tonic? :loopy:

3 Likes

I think the VST is mandatory because the are releasing a new version to ā€œsupport PO32ā€.

Micro tonic is 8 channel, PO32 is 4 channel - so the VST will perform optimisations to avoid voice stealing where possible. Itā€™s all on there website.

The VST is not mandatory. PO-32 shares the same synth engine as the VST. Think of the plugin as the full thing with an editor for the sound parameters, whereas the PO-32 is stripped of the editor.

You can generate patches which can be loaded by the PO-32.

You can also export patches from the PO-32 and thus share with other PO-32 users.

Patternarium is described on its page as:

What you are experiencing above are computer generated patterns for Microtonic created through principles of evolution. All the sounds and rhythms you are hearing are produced by algorithms running on our servers (even the names are made up by random). Think of Patternarium as a giant collaborative patch randomizer.

Pretty cool as a source of patterns. You can listen to and get the best and worst generations here

1 Like

worlds first happy #po32 #tonic owner. #jeanmichaeljarre #teenageengineering

A photo posted by teenage engineering (@kouthoofd70) on Jan 20, 2017 at 7:42am PST

2 Likes