New Teenage Engineering products coming to NAMM2017?

It’s going to take alot of fingers for muting alot of tracks though, since there’s no latch on the mutes. Not ideal, but better than nothing I suppose…

OMG!!! there are MUTES!!!

ah ah kidding and trolling, sorry I promise I stop now.

Hoping that mutes have made it from the prototype as I couldn’t find any mention of it on the documentation.

The OP-Z looks amazing, the possibilities it offers are so far from what is available elsewhere, I suppose I’ll just have to buy one without even trying it first, like I did for the OP-1.

I still don’t really get what’s so wonderful about the OP-Z… (I checked the informations provided by T.E.)

I soo wished for an OP-2 that I can’t manage to get interested in the OP-Z…

To each his own I guess :slight_smile:

@bradleyallen :

I get what you mean, the PO series is indeed a great work and powerful little machines, sadly they lack crucial features, so as the OP-1 that is 1000€!!!

I don’t understand TE’s philosophy : “hey let’s make some great products! yes! but let’s also make sure there are massive limitations in them, so as 90% of electronic music producers won’t be interested! yes! good idea!”

ah ah, I still may get me an OP-1 one day, I’ll wait for an hypothetic price drop when the OP-Z gets released…

@MonstreJuno, I had the same first reaction, I love my OP1, and didn’t want to hear it wasn’t a successor. I said “no sceen, that must be a joke, how am I going to use it in the park a whole afternoon like I still do with my OP1” ? But it’s not the OP-2, and it’s not trying to be. So what was great about the OP-1, it being a wonderful blackboard to sketch ideas with a fast workflow, it still is there in the OP-Z, I mean, more sequencer tracks, tape/trig tricks, and bloody video sequencing. In terms of fun factor, it holds great potential, even if I’m still wondering if it would find its place in a studio.

I get that. And they’re indeed really good at making fun and creative stuff.

Just add a little open-ness (MIDI, guys!!) and you get some real killer-products.

I would have bought the OP-1 full price with joy, if it wasn’t so “closed” (while open-minded in other areas, I know ah ah)…

And I would still have my PO-trio if the POs could be synced with MIDI gear. (it is in theory, but good luck in practice!).

And believe me, I tried hard. But when the OT arrived in my studio, I stopped trying and got rid of the POs. Then I began being very, very productive, and not just toying around!

I don’t miss them at all. I just regret that I tried the PO route before purchasing the OT!

Speaking about all this makes me want an OP-1 again ah ah!! OT+OP-1 must be a killer combo!

POs can be easily synced with just about any sampler, just send it a clock pulse with the right volume level.

1 Like

yes I know, but I don’t use a DAW or other samplers and I would not use an octatrack track just to sync the PO’s,

and, this is just sync, not MIDI implementation… (I know I’m stating the obvious!)

anyway, I understand the appeal and fun of these little POs, jamming with this anywhere is great, and they got indeed great sound and performance controls.

but then you had a great time on it, and then what do you do? you can remember how great the little jam was, and try to practice like an instrument, but when it comes to integrate it in your music environment… it’s a dead end!

OP-1 seems better but still not ideal in this category too…

Anyway, let’s take products for what they are and not for what they could/should/didn’t-manage-to be :slight_smile:

fwiw, I love korg volcas and pocket operators from an ideological point of view. The history of modern electronic music is filled with stories of poor people making great music with whatever “primitive” equipment they had access to. To me, the spirit of those gone days is carried on with these new “toys”. Sometimes they are more inspiring to me than all the fanciest, most feature laden “professional” systems we have access to these days. Love having both tbh.

remember, most of the original Roland x0x boxes were flops when they were released. “silly, unconvincing sounding toys” etc. I’m not going to claim the POs will become venerable luxury items like those, but the spirit of them has similarities.

3 Likes

Anyone had their shipping notification yet, (I haven’t yet, UK)? There seems to be someone else who already received theirs yesterday on another forum.

Oh? Haven’t recieved a shipping notice yet. I’ll email them about it.

Yeah, today is the supposed shipping date as stated on their website.

TE responded:

“Thanks for your email and for the order of the PO-32. The PO-32 have just started shipping so you should get a shipping confirmation pretty soon.”

So hang in there!

3 Likes

My order just shipped! :heart_eyes:

Packages usually ship very quickly to Finland from Sweden, so expecting to get it early next week at the latest. Gonna DL microtonic demo tonight to get started with learning the VST.

3 Likes

Just got it, too bad I won’t have time to test until tomorrow. AFAIK there should be a reg code to the microtonic inside.

Shiny!

3 Likes

Hey @tsutek this is exciting !
Please :droplet: some :loud_sound: !!!

:smile:

still haven’t had proper time with the tonic, but here’s a lazy office noodle (don’t tell the boss lol)

Recorded into audacity + normalize. DL for lossless.

Sorry about the lame fx scatter spam. Now that the fx can also be used without recording them, I was just testing how to dial in some variation on the fly… Obvsly needs a bit of practice to pull off well!

These pattns are made with the internal sounds, haven’t had time to roll my own sounds yet… But I already know I’m gonna love making them!

The sonic signature is somewhat similar to all the other PO models, I’m guessing they all use the same chipset, D/A converter etc, with only different DSP code inside?

2 Likes

Just received mine! But it comes with no batteries. Will be a long wait until I get home.

1 Like

Thx pal.

[…Consulting bank account…]

mine arrived today (I’m in uk) , i only ordered it last week so its been pretty quick.
there’s a small card in the folded up ‘manual’ with a code on it.

i was surprised the ‘lock’ snaps off , rather than being a slider / jumper type thing , otherwise its all good.
will play on it tonight.