New Teenage Engineering products coming to NAMM2017?

You need only the latest version of Microtonic that supports it, which will be 3.2, should be a free upgrade.

2 Likes

Ahh yeah, forget about these dongle type things, I was actually thinking of grabbing one of these anyway, should work, better cable management wise also?
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/keyboards/accessories/interfaces/ud-bt01/?mode=model

Since you already own microtonic, can you elaborate a little on how much you are using the fm synthesis side for your drums? This is one of my biggest interests with this new system, fm with morphing

The OP-Z looks great. I want more info on the synth engines in that thing!

@karkwai ok so the version hasn’t been released yet - I went on their website and couldnt find it… think it is still 3.1.1.

@tsutek tbh I dont use it as much as i should. I bought it as part of an online Ableton course back in 2013 and used it for about a year - it really was awesome. And very flexible with the Multi Out… The problem is I am a sucker for drum machines in general so between MicroTonic, Battery, Stylus RMX, FXpansion Guru, Geist, Geist 2… it hasnt gotten the attention it deserves…

and now that I’m sequencing on hardware it never sees the light - PO32 would be an excuse to use it again.

I used the FM quite a bit albeit in subtle amounts. FM was a breeze… but it is quite basic (lack of full ADSR)… all you get is AD (quite old school)- dont be fooled though, this is a good thing. beauty is that it has these wonderful retro sliders which are super intuitive to use and thats where I think the strength of the VST is - in its workflow.

Add a basic controller to map the Mod amount or whatever parameter you want and you can do some really nice automation - pretty standard.

Sound wise I was really happy - its a lot of fun tweaking to get the sound you want… it doesnt give you the instant grat of the sample based approach (ala Geist/RMX/Battery) but when you find the sweetspot you are looking for its glorious… think of it as MD (synth) vs a sampler maybe.

1 Like

Thanks for elaborating. And I do know what you mean with sample based drums being way faster to work with, but I got all my sample drum needs covered between the rytm, volca sample and an MPC4000. I intend to use the PO tonic as a ghetto machinedrum, and my GAS for a real MD has already reduced considerably! :diddly:

Exactly what I was thinking hahahaha…

Has anyone who’s pre-ordered received an order confirmation email yet? I understand they’re busy but I’d expect that this would be automated.

i got the mail

To all those who already own the VST - log into your account on Sonic Charge and maybe download the latest version. 30 mins after I did this I got an email announcing the PO32 and to order in the second unbundled batch of PO32’s at a small discount :slight_smile:

Please notice that the first series of PO-32 is a limited edition for $139 that includes Microtonic AU/VST. Since you already own Microtonic you might want to wait for the next batch of PO-32 that will be sold without Microtonic for $89, on top of which you will receive a little discount. The second batch will start shipping first week of april. We will send you another email as soon as we have all the details.

2 Likes

Hmm… :expressionless: Well I filed a support ticket. I guess I’ll give them another day or two before I freak out.

1 Like

Yeah, got the confirmation after two minutes.

I’m agonizing the wait of this new unit’s arrival so much that I decided to pimp out my entire PO collection with pro cases and glass protectors lol. Even bought a black belkin rockstar and intend to finish my “makeover” with white minijack cables! Pathetic, I know :panda:

yeah well they were on a blowout sale at my local retailer, already ordered 8 of em lol

But the pro cases are useful IMO. Unless you’re going to make your own controller for these, like this chap…

… the nintendo rash you get after thumbing the naked tact switches for a night or two is not exactly enjoyable.

Hmm, well they replied to my support ticket finally but they just said they’ll be shipping on the 2nd. So I guess that’s all the confirmation I’m gonna get… do they just have kinda frigid customer service? :expressionless:

If this thing ends up arriving I’ll probably get one of the new cases when they come out.

IIRC a similar thing happened with the PO 20 series units, there was a shipping delay. I’m quite confident they will be shipping in Feb though.

And yes, their CS is not exactly chit-chatty :diddly:

According the UT vid comments, the tonic is mono only. So no fancy microtonic stereo tricks then, a pity…

That’s fun they keep on releasing PO’s,

but I got 3 of them and then sold them all 3 months after… no mutes, no more than 16 patterns, no patch saving… and awkward MIDI, awkward synchro…

just toys to me, greatly fun toys with great sound, but still toys. And really tiny toys. ah ah!

OP-Z seems interesting also but what I would buy is an OP-2, an upgraded OP1 with proper midi, proper sequencing and moar saving options, not just save to tape but real sequence, patch saving, project or pattern saving… and at least 2 stereo outputs…

that I would be happy to buy full price.

FULL PRICE YES!!!

2 Likes

According to the guy who posted these videos. As he is using a prototype model (black pots instead of the white ones on the production model), it’s a bit discouraging.

1 Like

Well, this one has mutes, chainable sequences as well as full device backup, so it’s certainly a step up from the earlier models. But YMMV. as always.

1 Like