New Teenage Engineering products coming to NAMM2017?

The manual is online as well, just skiming though. Seems like this time you have to enable rec mode before punch in fx get permanently added to the sequence, great! Parameters can also be programmed in by p-locking, which is also not onboard on every other PO model.

In addition to swing, now there’s also accent.

Knob A is sound pitch, knob B is morph ie. you can really go to town with the modulations and plocks if you prepare your sounds right!

Some new punch in fx onboard, “granular” and “fm” sound particularily interesting.

Activating the write protect feature prevents any changes to the memory, requiring a soldering iron to undo. Talk about idiot proof :diddly:

Now I’m wondering - is the tonic true stereo? There’s a stereo mode for the noise module, which could be used for some nice stereo fx.

Fair to say this is the best PO yet - by far. With backups, plocks, sound morphing and VST editor for sounds (plus the patternarium), POs are getting serious. Might be my “NAMM best of show” choice for this year.

5 Likes

This actually sounds like a monster drum machine!

Your right - I meant to say the VST is mandatory for loading new kits.

If you watch the official video you’ll see on his screen he has a new version of the VST with a PO32 layout attached on the side - will be released shortly - he explains that it’s required to “optimise kits/patterns before sending to the device” which is only 4 channels whereas the VST is 8 (and the majority of Patternarium are also 8 I’d think).

Great Scott. That is outstanding.

After acquiring and unexpectedly loving a PO-12 recently, I’m primed to sidle right up to this wackiness. Not only does this seem like an incredibly solid drum synth and a beautifully crazy product idea, it’s very portable, you can use it with your eyes closed, and its battery life will probably be uncanny. At this point I’m only annoyed that it doesn’t have a MIDI input to use with a less primitive sequencer (please tell me it does and I’ll giggle like a schoolgirl).

Ordered. This will be my first VST purchase in at least 6 years, and I think my fourth ever.

1 Like

A more advanced sequencer would be the icing on the cake! Maybe I’m naive, but I’m holding out hope that the programmer interface port on the back of every PO will reveal something cool once the rumoured “PO central hub” product comes out.

I’m not holding my breath but that would be fantastic. I wasn’t even aware of that rumor; I’m new to the TE club.

It’s not even a rumour at this point. It’s just me and my wishful thinking :diddly:

However, there has been rumours of some kind of a hub device for the PO’s, this is what has sparked my imagination.

Its brillaint been using it for years.

1 Like

This is the best news this NAMM I think. Ever since I got the PO-12 (my only PO so far, and a favourite instrument of mine) a year ago, I’ve been hoping for another drummer in the format. To get one that’s programmable exceeds any expectations.

A hub device you made yourself?

Same for me here. Like messing w/ my PO-20 but kind of dread having to sample it when I finally want to finish a piece of music using it. Kind of a similar situation with my various Volca boxes.

The ability to transfer pattern data would be an improvement for me as well. Of course there’s yet another learning curve coming up, in that I will have to learn how to use Ableton Live with AU plugins. Never used AUs in Live because I’ve preferred working with hardware synths and hardware FX.

Still, as stated, it would be easier tweak patterns in the DAW without the full commitment involved with sampling just the audio ( and thus losing step data and the like ).

My history is the opposite. I bought Max 3 and fell off the Max train after that. Later got Ableton Live w/ Max For Live.

My use of Live the past 3-4 years has been restricted to overdubbing my parts for other people’s music. But I’m sure that will change with PO-32+Microtonic.

There are free lightweight VST hosts out there. Anyhow a standalone version of the plugin is being worked on and entering beta soon,

There’s one thing missing in the PO-32 that I would have liked to see, that being track mutes.

I just checked the details of that OP-Z, brilliant work improving the form factor of it it looks like it has expert accessibility. Looks like you COULD just carry it your pocket and just carry it around, whipping it out whenever you want to play. On it! Super cool. The image editing being custom REALLY sets it apart.

If they make it so that you can sequence the op-1 from it, they really combined their products excellently. Especially considering you could plug the output of this into the OP-1 input.

Brilliant work TE!

2 Likes

Looking at the manual I don’t think there is, also believe fx to be global if it’s like previous units. Best scenario I can think off is morphing to empty sounds, think that is global as well.

1 Like

Oooh very cool. How long can the sequence run?

Connectivity to the OP-1 through the USB only? Current specs show only has a 3.5mm 4-pole jack and a USB C.

Looks like you might need to stick something like an axoliti (€65) between the Op-1 and Op-z for them to exchange midi between themselves over USB.

Or perhaps TE have some sort of USB host Bluetooth midi dongle up their sleeves for the op-1?

2 Likes

Wait - I already own MicroTonic… do I need to buy a specific version or if I simply buy a PO-32 it will work?!

This is awesome :slight_smile: