Teenage Engineering CM–15

Is it wrong to educate people about what the relative cost over physical value (not sentimental) of what they are buying is? I’m honestly curious, since there are a LOT of mics out there. Is this actually something that is justifiably worth 1200 dollars from a hardware perspective? Are there mics out there that do this and more for the same or less?

1 Like

Ban hammer is coming for you! NO $ TALK GET OUT

2 Likes

I think just change the thread title at this point… the sound quality-to-price ratio against the crowded market of standard-bearer manufacturers is THE THING that everyone will want to discuss.

9 Likes

So we can’t talk about the value of hardware? I’m not bringing up TE crazy prices, just wondering if I happen to decide to buy one, if I could get something better for the same price…

It would seem everyone’s free to do that in another thread, then. Threads are free!

1 Like

There are many field recorders with stereo mics, battery operation, USB audio interface capability, plus the ability to plug in whatever other mics you want that cost far less than this thing. It’s really all about the form factor + aesthetic design here and if that matters to you. Maybe it will sound really really good, we’ll find out soon enough. Somehow I’m a bit dubious.

1 Like

It would be considered a duplicate thread. This is a “product release” thread, no need for 2 threads about a product release.

Just not this one :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

As for other things: Design and finishing look lovely… TE are masters of milling crisp right angles out of aluminum. I agree with above posters that it should have a stereo option. And while the accessories look nice I have doubts over their robustness in the “field”… especially the cable interconnect diameters.

2 Likes

Yea thats what I wanna know. I hope demo video they released of the guy explaining it was recorded on something else because that sounded not great.

I don’t know. Sorry for giving you a hard time - I was just kidding. If it were my post we’d be able to talk money.

This is what i thougt too…at least a low cut would be great to get rid off all low end rumble…large diaphrams tend to have a lot of low end…

2 Likes

Free as in speech? Of course it’s not. None are. A topic is stated, and comments off topic are flagged (not to mention the whole world of restricted speech around insults, threats, and generally being a jerk). That’s the way it’s always worked.

The beauty is, if we want to talk about something that’s off topic in one place, we can just create that topic and discuss it there! It’s magical!

2 Likes

There’s always this option, just 8400 Euros :wink:

Actually, and you guessed there right, I have nothing to say, except … oh my god is this thing cute:

9 Likes

Worth pointing out some technical info that will make a difference to the sound; here’s the polar pattern @ different frequencies for the CM-15 -

And here’s the same thing for the Rode NT1 -

Obviously the NT1 is a bit of a different kind of mic, much more of a cardioid, but it’s still useful to compare the response as it’s very much intended for vocal/instrument use too. With the CM-15 there’s a pretty big variation in frequency response as it moves off axis from a source, which can make things off to one side sound a bit unnatural. Definitely not desirable for field recording use, but probably acceptable for a single close up source like a voice.

Good off-axis consistency is something some of the big manufacturers really strive for and put considerable R&D into, take Sennheiser with their supercardioid SDC MKH 8050 for example -

Having such a smooth and even response in the important frequency ranges really helps make it sound natural and nice in situations where you might have a moving source or several subjects in front of it, and it’s why mics like that are so highly regarded and commonly used for professional productions. The CM-15 is obviously not aimed towards this kind of user at all so a lot of this might not be that relevant, but I thought it was worth mentioning in regards to comparisons with ‘proper’ studio mics.

15 Likes

I understand the need for this thread not to turn in to the usual TE fun poking thread, but ‘not allowing’ TE pricing to be discussed seem a bit over the top. Does this thread rule only apply to TE products or is there a ban on discussing relative value on any product?

3 Likes

I was hoping for a TE bumbag.

Is disappoint.

3 Likes

It was a polite request y’all, nothing more.

It’s about keeping a discussion enjoyable for the participants, and it won’t violate your constitutional rights.

7 Likes

Where is our updates for TX6 and OP-1 Field!!! The vocoder thing was a joke. Give me granular I’ll be happy for the rest of my miserable life!!!

Edit: I’m joking ok!?!?!!!

1 Like

The price point for me is how does it compare to other mikes with built in A/D (assuming you would only buy this if you needed that?) at this price point- I think that’s fair enough…its a mike and a A/D, so $ is relevant to sound quality ‘expected’…there are a lot of mikes that cost a lot more!

Another question is who is this aimed at- people recording into computers/iPhone who don’t have an A/D? Most field microphones actually record so you only carry one device?

1 Like

If I’m ever multimillionaire (lol not happening) I’ll buy one of these just for the aesthetic.

4 Likes