Roland Sh-4d

Hmm monomachine energy possibly?

This might be what Ive been looking for to pair with my machinedrum :wink:

Not sure about the bass sounds in these demos, not getting that SH thunderousness.

Them pads tho…

1 Like

Reads great on paper. But I’m skeptical Roland is able to implement a user interface that doesn’t come with a lot of odd quirks that make the thing a pain when being used to Elektrons. Roland tends to cram everything into one box that is then unusable due to horrible horrible menu and UI choices.

Especially when using it as a multi-timbral device - the Jupiter XM was unusable imo since switching and saving between the different synths was so unituitive.The part buttons on the SH-4d look a lot like Jupiter XM and already give me nightmares. I also read a review on a German site which was worded confusingly about multi-timbrality, that you could not stack sounds. Is it possible to play or sequence the different synth models on different MIDI channels at the same time?

Sad they didn’t go for sliders, especially for the envelopes, that’s one thing Roland always has going for them. On the other hand, at this size, maybe better put knobs on it than JP08-style sliders.

Still a very interesting sketch and travel device, with the internal battery. If the sequencer is usable and the synth models okay to navigate/switch, I might get one eventually when used ones are available for cheaper. It’s definitely great that Roland uses the digital emulation to release an all in one, travel-friendly box that’s affordable. Gives us hope that they’re still coming up with good new ideas and not just clones. Also great that they put a rudimentary two octave keyboard with a keyboard layout on it, so you can actually compose on it.

Edit: Musicradar says " User Memory Sound Patch: 256. Pattern: 128". Well, that’s not a lot to use it for composing or designing your own sounds. Maybe still more of a preset machine? How much patterns could MC 707 save?

11 Likes

I think it looks great physically

Whoever designed the aira range should’ve been fired and tossed into the depths of hell

14 Likes

my only issue is those hard round clicky buttons. apart from that it peaks my interest.

1 Like

Perfect for YouTube Lent, thanks!

Looks like an interesting device. At this point Roland have all the sounds, the VA synth emulations in hardware, the ACB drums, the vocoders, the Boss effects… Can’t think of a company in a better position to make a groove box.

7 Likes

This looks impressive. I don’t need it all but I like what they’re doing with this release.

3 Likes

don’t say that too loud, someone will revoke your membership

14 Likes

polyphony, more hands on controls, drum presets, runs on batteries and cheaper.

edit: additive synthesis as well :wink: (drawing module)

edit: LOL they put a gyroscope and an accelerometer in that stuff too :rofl:

5 Likes

Very, very interested in this…. Like the form factor and the sounds. Not totally sold on the little round buttons, but may be better once in the hands. This looks like a really good move from Roland.

I do wish it had stereo 1/4 inch inputs like the TR8S as well, but other than that I am very interested to explore further. My TR8S is looking in nervously…

1 Like

Looks fun but sounds boring.

4 Likes

I wonder if this is in the Roland store yet?? I’m heading there today with an empty wallet. :joy:

Will have a play if it’s there though and report back.

2 Likes

Roland Sh-4d: W360 x D195 x H66 mm
Octatrack Mk2: W340 × D184 × H63 mm
Digitakt: W215 x D176 x H63 mm
Polyend Tracker: W282 x D207 x H33 mm

1 Like

some nice demos here

10 Likes

I knew just by looking at it, that it’s gonna drive some people away but…

Little round buttons work okay on the OP-Z and they work well with both East Beast and West Pest.

These ones remind me of you can find on endorphins eurorack modules.

With something this small and battery powered, it seems to be competing for the perfect travel sketch box.

4 Likes

yes agreed I think this will replace my 707.

1 Like

D-Motion, very OP-1. :smiley:

Presume it will do but does this have audio over USB? And if so, just for the main stereo out?

Be warned, no pattern chaining or song mode onboard. Pretty daft move imo, as it’d make for a pretty nice mobile sketch pad for the price, if it had pattern chaining

4 Likes