New Roland synths : Jupiter X / Boutique JU06a / Fantom

One thing worth remembering with the Boutiques is they can poly chain, so anyone into huge chords can buy 2 for 8 voices, still cheaper than any other solution. Me, I rarely need more than 3 note chords anyway so I never tried poly chain.

JX-03 doesn’t seem to get mentioned much, its very good also, I think I prefer it to the JP-08 :dizzy_face:

6 Likes

Is it blasphemy to say the plug out (and presumably the Boutiques) sounds as good as my OG JX? Because to my ears it does.

1 Like

The plug outs and the ACB stuff sound really good generally IMO. The SH-2 plugout on the System-1 is such a great sounding monosynth.

@darenager I hadn’t really considered the polychaining. A pair of JU-06As sounds like it would make a very nice, if simple, 8-voice VA polysynth. (Though again - I keep looking at my Peak and deciding I don’t need anything like that at the moment.)

2 Likes

Just have to look at this foto to know that I want to own both. They look cool, they sound great

1 Like

The size is great too as well as having them battery powered. I am currently in the GRS cycle Mode again(Gear Reducing Syndrom), and those two are perfect.
Does someone wants a Medusa or Minilogue PG?

1 Like

I’d like ju06a but then I remember
I have ju-06 , sh01a , tal Juno plug-in in iOS and lots of other gear.

So if I want one I should sell something.
And that typhon synth sounded good too and it’s for fx. ( not not as many notes )

I have been looking at getting a JU-06A, but what is up with that LFO type modulation on the sub-osc for the Juno-60 engine, when it’s not present on the Juno-106 engine ?

As for it only being 4-voice instead of 6 i don’t mind tbh. But is the JU-06A overpriced, is it
really worth buying!

It’s definitely not overpriced and it’s priced in just the right range that you won’t lose too much if you decide to move it on at a later date.

1 Like

ive seen a few 2nd hand ones floating around… typically good condition too.
so even better value :slight_smile:

Yes, but what about this LFO wobble on the sub-osc of the Juno-60 emulation on the JU-06A.
I very much doubt Roland will fix that though.

Can anyone help? Is it possible for the JU-06a to do midi thru? I’m not able to locate this functionality in the manual.

Me neither.

1 Like

Thanks for the confirmation. My SH-01a has it, and I believe that was a feature added later on. Hopefully it’ll be added to the JU-06a, but I doubt it’ll happen.

Question for Jupiter X/Xm users.

Regarding “Scene” system. Aka Kit, aka Multi.

The parts/tones that are in these scenes, are they copied from the library (ala Nord Lead, Elektron Analogs), or does the scene just point to them (ala Waldorf)?

I have a ju 06a and although it doesn’t have a midi thru the midi out echoes what is received via midi in. So I have another synth connected that way obviously set to receive on a different midi channel than the ju06 a.
It’s works just like how you would expect midi thru to work.

Nevermind, looks like it’s all pointers.

Bummer

1 Like

That’s good to hear! I recall I ended up figuring out a setup that worked when I added a Morningstar MC6 and MidiBox, but great to hear the Ju-06a can work as long as you utilize a non-used MIDI channel.

They are, but you can have part- and scene-level offsets.

How are people liking the Jupiter XM 1.5 years in? Thinking of picking one up tomorrow.

I picked up a Jupiter X recently and I’m loving it. The build quality is outstanding. Learning to edit individual parts in scene is straightforward and not as complicated as some reviews have commented on. It sounds great and I can see where it would appeal to three different users:

1. The ultimate preset machine, there are thousands of really good sounds (a few duds too) on it and more available to download from Roland.

2. A 5 part multitinbral synth (1 part is drums), I use the Octatrack to sequence them independently. Hours of fun. For instance you could have a Sh101 bass, Juno pad, Jx8p strings, Jupiter lead, TR drums all programmable from one instrument.

3. A keyboard for live use, the keybed is probably the best I’ve played and up there with the Jupiter 80. The Xm has mini keys but could be played with a regular sized keyboard to get around the smaller keys.