New Roland AIRA/Boutique instruments 9.09

Why would anything other than an iphone be useful in this size?

2 Likes

Why do you equate size with usefulness?

Teenage Engineering Pocket Operators are small but you could not argue they are uselessā€¦

If you think of a 909 or 808 the size of an iPhone 6+ it would be a massive unit shifter as the trend seems to be miniaturisation evidenced and fully furnished by Korg Volca Series and Roland themselves with the boutique range. Not to mention many other manufacturers.

Why build a great tombstone of a drum box?

I get your point. At least Teenage Engineering have recent flagship pro gear like the OP1 and that new video thing theyā€™ve been working on. This allows them to release cool, fun stuff like the Pocket Operators

And their stuff looks well thought out and well designed

Iā€™m hardly going to be excited if instead of making a game changing release of equipment, Roland released 30 ā€œpocket sizedā€ toys to accompany the other disposable, plastic looking Aira gear

The boutique range are dirt. Those sub-miniature faders are ridiculous. And you canā€™t assign another controller to control them instead.

If Roland are content to continue making plastic toys while others around them mop up the pro market then so be it

Iā€™m certainly not going to buy it

We all know what we want to see from Roland, the fact that they donā€™t seem to get this is beyond me.

Way beyond me

Think they updated boutiques to accept midi CC now?
But yeah I find the boutiques underwhelming too. Like you say, mega tiny UI and weak specs for memory etc and mostly just the fact that they show almost zero imagination. Just lesser digital versions of old gear.
Volca Keys and volca sample were at least totally new ideas and reasonably priced. I get use out of both of em. Roland need to aim big and stop pussying out and rehashing old ideas without advancing them. Get back to where their head was at when they made forward thinking gear like V-synth, sp808ex etc.

2 Likes

Rolandā€™s best tools were created when they were simply following good design principles: ā€œuse affordable technology to powerfully enable musicians in new and creative ways.ā€ Any other objectives like ā€œpander to a certain trending marketā€ have resulted in a legion of flops and embarrassments.

2 Likes

if they release boutique versions of the 808, 909, 303, while i probably donā€™t need them i will defintiely be interetested. only reason i havenā€™t picked up a tr-8 at the moment is that you kinda need 2 of them in order to get a combined 808/909 sound together simultaneously (yes i know you can mix-match kits) but its not the same to me.

All AIRA machines could be smaller. The reason I donā€™t have System-1 or System-1m is because they are too big and I donā€™t have that much space.

Do you see that tape in the background? hmm :slight_smile:

Then we are sort of in agreement!

I agree with every word you said, I just think Roland will take Korg on, itā€™s just a shame that they arenā€™t really doing anything new or pushing the boundaries, they are regurgitating old equipment.
Yes I canā€™t deny Roland have given us some of the most iconic synths, drum machines and samplers but that was many years ago.

Everyone has met that bloke who had a walk on part in The Bill and every time you meet him he brings it up.
Get over yourself mate, no one gives a digital rim shot what you did years ago!

Roland, listen, use the XT technology and ramp it up for the love of sweet corn!

1 Like

If Korg released their Gadgets as hardware they would end the universe as we know it!
But thatā€™s a wet dream that could well see you electrocuted in your bedā€¦

2 Likes

And for what itā€™s worth, the boutiqe range now works with full CC, since the latest firmware update. So thatā€™s sorted.

1 Like

They are definitely going to extend the Boutique range, they will need to capitalise on that popularity for sure.

The only product that doesnā€™t overlap in the ARIA range is a groovebox. However that will be crippled in some way, no doubt. A machine that sits between a Toraiz and the new Electribes will sell a ton for Roland.

They cant go wrong, every product that is being released are being measured up against old Roland stuff, and according to demand everybody needs a 101, 303, 808 and 909.
However its is most likely the ā€œtruenessā€ factor that drives the demand rather than actual need as everything is available in the current gear palette from Roland. And i rarely hear a 303 on new releases.

^ ā€œ. A machine that sits between a Toraiz and the new Electribes will sell a ton for Roland.ā€ This!!! Massive gap in the standalone sampler market. Between electribe and octa/toraiz

1 Like

I think this gap is called Maschine. Digital drum computer, Digital Sampler, Sequencer ā€¦ I hope they will make it standaloneā€¦for 1200 euro

1 Like

v-synth engine based groovebox with DUAL D-BEAMS MOTHERFUCKERS

2 Likes

Iā€™d buy it in a New York minute.

2 Likes

Iā€™d buy a Boutique sized groovebox, for sure.

1 Like

Iā€™d buy that for a dollar.

1 Like

Quicksilver looks good for sure.