New product from Arturia? [DrumBrute]

Nice machine from what I’ve seen and heard, simple hands-on controls.
Sound is always a matter of taste I think.

1 Like

Completely agree, and it’s not to my taste, is all I’m saying.

1 Like

For the price it is is brillliant, again Arturia has a winning concept. I wonder if they will execute it properly.

TO be fair Arturia has cool ideas, they have tried to bring BIG ideas as the Origin and the Mtrixbrute. But they also milk their customers qith very cheap build quality, their keyboards and the Minilab were horrible with very bad support.

I think that if they could deliver quality and reliability they would be quite ahead in their market, beating Roland and Korg.

14:20 for some drive on it

2 Likes

I find it ironic that when I complain about the RYTM’s inability to do something as basic as adjust the starting point of a sample with precision, I get condescendingly told that the RYTM is a drum machine, and not a sampler. But when I criticize it’s ability as an analog drum machine, using samples is the ultimate solution, and makes the RYTM the ultimate drum machine because it can sound like anything.

11 Likes

Drumbrute has not tempted me to cancel my TR-09, just sayin’

2 Likes

Check!
I also own a TR-8 and for the basic 909 stuff I think it’s splendid.
The DB (drumbrute) has really some potential for me, every drummachine has it’s own style and I can’t say it’s bad sounding

deep drum synth - drum machine - not sure how/why anyone could knock this machine at this price and with these features.

3 Likes

+1 About the clap, people always seemed to be unhappy with the hi hats until the latest OS. For me the clap is one thing I always having to layer with a sample to this day. Would be great to see a new machine there at some stage.

I think the Drumbrute sounds decent from the brief listen I had to demos, can’t see myself ever purchasing it though but I think it’s a contender at that price point.

The point is that for the cost of the RYTM you shouldn’t need to layer samples with the analog engine. If this is the case the analog engine still needs some work in my opinion. I have only found this the case with the clap on the RYTM. Hoping for an update on this at some point

Actually after listening to more demos of the DrumBrute it occurs to me that it does a lot of the sounds very similar to those that I don’t like on the Rytm (knocky, boxy mid range, swept and hard) but so far none of the sounds I do like on the Rytm, still for the price it seems excellent value, and perhaps it is a little unfair to compare them.

Compared to the TR-8 I think I’d much rather have the TR-8, based on sound quality alone, on sequencing the Brute has it by far.

1 Like

You definitely need to find some way of sequencing the TR-8 externally, I would agree with that.

Think that’s one of it’s strengths, and the ability that makes it a unique drum machine in a single box (unless I am mistaken?). Gives it a lot of power and potential than if you are just stuck with the same analogue sounds forever. Forgive me, I’m not an analogue purist, so beefing things up with digital samples just seems like a massive opportunity to me.

Love the RYTM.

Shame anyone gives you that dross. The RYTM is incredible because you can layer samples. That’s why it beats the Tempest for me. Improving the sample playback capabilities in the way you suggest would only make it better.

Yeah - assuming poly rhythms and randomness are required, for sure, although it is worth remembering that we managed fine for 35 years when drum machines did not have such features, and if I’m honest it has become somewhat of a cliche to me, the same way that modulars have. Nothing against it when used right, it but when everyone is doing it for the sake of it, it can get stale and boring, like velocity ramped 909 snare rolls did in the 90s etc.

Edit - I guess what I’m saying is that I can still enjoy my 606 and MD which only offer standard sequencing, and my Rytm can do all manner of polymeter/rhytm and randomness but neither is better except for what the music requires.

4 Likes

Of course but no reason a $449 analogue drum machine should have a better analogue clap sound than a $1300 analogue drum machine. This competition is actually really good for us RYTM owners, hopefully means Elektron are paying attention and provide more updates on the worlds best drum machine :slight_smile:

1 Like

Rytm clap is pretty lacklustre for sure, but the DB clap seems very similar no? Both hold no candle to DR-110 let alone 808 or 909.

2 Likes

Yeah well you get the point anyway. Definitely room for improvement :+1:

1 Like

You can get the Drumbrute and Analog Heat for roughly the same price as the AR.

3 Likes

You can use the Drumbrute

2 Likes