New product from Arturia? [DrumBrute]

Definitely got a vintage Korg KR type sound, looks to have some cool realtime stuff, but way to big for me and offers me nothing aside from voice count that I can do on Rytm, but regardless AMAZING price for the package they have put together.

Dunno why but I don’t seem to like the sound of anything analog that arturia make, sounds too stiff or mid range-y YMMV

Hope this sells well though, at £379UK it might encourage other manufacturers to price more competitively, great time for young guys starting out to get some real hardware.

7 Likes

I gave the single engines a listen: https://www.arturia.com/drumbrute/details
I must say Im not impressed. Specially the Hihat and Clap sound very cheap. There is also a lot of noise on some of the recordings. So S/N seems to be bad. Its more a blown up Rhythm Wolf than a competitor to the rytm or tempest. I would even prefer a TR-8 thats in the same price region. Its not analog, but at least the sounds kicks some ass, which Im missing from the Drumbrute.

4 Likes

For the cold-wavey sorta motorik kraftwerk stuff I’ve been jamming out lately, it has the perfect vibe. Just enough church basement. I think for music in which a drum part compliments the rest of the mix by not being so complex, it’s on point. Pulling this out with my guitar playing buds would be joy, I think the hangout would be far more musical and laid back then with a Rytm. Like, I feel like non electronic musicians would see this in a music store, try it, and be in next week to buy it.

The sounds are all pretty cohesive, I’m actually going to rip those files you linked and start playing around with the kit this afternoon.

1 Like

To an AR owner this doesn’t even register on the map…

4 Likes

If you press play on several files at once you can get some nutty beats already!
Go try people…

1 Like

I find it beautiful, very intuitive, simple, not expensive and seems to have a good potential of live and improvisation habilities.

I gonna wait until spring, wait for good reviews and maybe catch it for the electronic beef we made with friends.
I think it’s a lot of fun to play with it. I sold all my drum machines and only keep my MD. So I’ll probably get it to have fun moments for few money.

1 Like

I just listened to the sounds on the Arturia site. I haven’t been impressed. that’s make my gas freshly get down :frowning:

1 Like

I like the arturia control surface.

As we have the A4 and the AK, we could have the AR and the ARC: a big fat AR with 12 tracks of pots for each machine.

Never going to happen.

Arturia are going to sell boatloads of these.
Roland tr-09 looks like a toy in comparison. They suddenly lost at least 50% of sales I predict.

Thing sounds absolutely awful in the demos. Actually sounds just like the Rhythm Wolf/Tomcat.

And who puts in the individual outs on 3.5mm jacks?

Arturia make some great products - beat/keystep, micro/minibrute, but these last two products have just been weird - God knows what the Matrixbrute is all about, although I appreciate I seem to be the only person in world who wouldn’t spunk £1600 on a monosynth

When a company is already purchasing large quantities of 3.5mm jacks for most of its other hardware, it designs new hardware with the same jacks to get further reduction in costs.

Also, if they were on 1/4" jacks the box would have to be much bigger

3 Likes

Thank you for explaining this!

What’s so weird about it?
Analog drum machine with shitload of knobs and a few tricks up its sleeve at a very good price.
I have the RYTM but I have watched the demos and the interface looks more immediate to me. Obviously not as powerful but there are a few more button presses required on the RYTM for the same tasks.
By the way nothing wrong with 3.5mm jacks. Exactly the same sound coming out

I’m curious to see how the accent works. I’m guessing the pads are not velocity sensitive

What’s weird, to me, is that it seems to be neither fish nor fowl. Sure, it’s analogue, and I appreciate there are a lot of analogue fetishists in these parts, but - and admittedly this is from the demos posted so far - it sounds godawful, much like the Rhythm Wolf. Tinny and waspish, with those Gameboy-sounding conga/tambourine tones the icing on a hissy cake. Now I guess if you are into cold wave sort of stuff, that could be a big part of its appeal, but I actually think it seems rather pricey for what it is.

From what I hear, the TR-8 smokes it in every department - but for only a relatively small amount more you could get yourself a Vermona Drum which would drop it from an even greater height. Save up a tiny bit longer you get a Tanzbar… even better. Hold on, do some extra paper rounds, clean a few gutters and there’s an AR for you. It’s not like this thing costs £150, it’s still pretty expensive, but feels so one-dimensional.

It just feels like Arturia felt they couldn’t be out of the analogue drum machine action, so have wedged this thing into their product line with its chief selling point being ANALOGUE ANALOGUE ANALOGUE, which they hope might distract from the fact it sounds like a wet fart in a paper bag.

1 Like

I think it sounds really good personally. Maybe not as good as the RYTM, but from what I can tell I do think the clap sounds better than the RYTM. That’s the one sound I am not 100% happy with on the RYTM and think they could still tweak that one a little.

Hi there, I received my new AR for 1345€ yesterday, so prices go down slowly.

I think the kick is only ok, but all the other percussion elements on the DrumBrute sound excellent imo. In the Sonicstate video, you can really get a good idea of the character of the different sounds. That snare is nice and snappy, and has more weight to it than the RYTM’s. The hi-hats and cymbal sound much better to my ear than the RYTM, and even MFB machines. Also, keep in mind, the RYTM sounds are very unspectacular without drive. Imagine all the DrumBrute sounds with a bit of drive and compression.

Yes, the clap needs some work on the AR, I’d agree. But find the right sample to layer and job done. No such luxury with the Drumbrute. Now, I know it’s unfair to compare them because they are clearly in a different class, but I find a lot of people buy cheaper gear then upgrade, then never use the first piece again. Just don’t want to see anyone spending £1700 on a RYTM because they subjected it to Drumbrute tax.

Big difference = sample support. That’s how you create unique and weighty sounds on the RYTM.