OTO Machines FX - BIM BAM BOUM

I had it for a bit, and liked it. But I ultimately sold it because I felt it was only useful for me within a narrow range.

Surprisingly, I didn’t really like it on drums as much as I thought I would. Also, I was really excited to use it for its sidechaining capabilities, but I didn’t think it sounded the best at this; couldn’t really get it to sound right for me. For this application, it would’ve really benefitted from having a wider range of attack and release settings I think.

I didn’t like it processing the master all that much either. It ended up sounding best to me on bass and pads with subtle distortion. Ultimately, I much prefer the Analog Heat.

3 Likes

Was thinking about getting it for the sidechain then running that into the heat.

But idk anymore :thinking:

Here’s a free 707 live drum rack pack someone made with bam and boum…

So I ended up ordering another Boum, and it arrived yesterday. I kept thinking of things I didn’t try with it, and became obsessed with getting my hands on one again.

My primary interest for the Boum is as a way to incorporate sidechaining & subtle overdrive to the bus. I initially felt limited by the minimal attack/release settings, but now I realize the compression knob amount greatly affects these settings. I’m quite pleased with the sidechaining effects I’m achieving. I really like being able to use the dry/wet mix knob to lessen the effect too.

I only end up using a tiny amount of overdrive, and it can be a bit tricky getting the setting I desire; I wish the knob were scaled to better dial in subtle amounts.

Besides that though, I love the ultra smooth/buttery LP filter on this. It just coats everything in velvet, and sounds beautiful. So I’m really digging this thing (although there is a premium for it) just as a sidechaining device that simultaneously adds character, and is tiny/cute.

7 Likes

Five years after starting this thread, BIM and BOUM have made their way into the stables. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

haha, you’re telling me man…around the time my first child was born i was jonesing for one and even created space for where it was going to go…5 years later, i can finally fill that space :-/

3 Likes

Now that you put more time into it what do you think of the compressor ? Is it a drum buss or can it do subtle compression to?

cant you hook up a midi controller to dial in values you want ? it seems to have cc’s for everything.

you can with the bim and bam, so yeah you should!

I’m confident it can; the mix knob (parallel processing) is key here imo. When I was processing drums (the first time I got it), I was most interested in how it sounded with the mix knob at max. I thought it was ok; the drive adds a lot of bass, and the first setting on the “lo cut” (high pass filter) is a bit drastic though. I quickly lost interest in using it for drums because the drums I was using already had overdrive on the kicks, and the Boum was making it sound to boomy (Boum-y :joy:).

I kind of got it setup permanently for ducking right now, so I run everything but the drums through it (i.e. Digitone). This is where I like it most; with a touch of drive, it can really add a nice organic quality to to Digitone’s FM sounds, and can punch up the analog synths a notch.

1 Like

I actually have my Digitone controlling parameters by midi now; it’s really cool being able to sequence modulations for the Boum’s analog filter. The CC values help with finding a particular value, but I still wish I had more values to choose from (because of the limited range of useful ones).

2 Likes

Really interested in this Boum (I own Bim and Bam) but it lacks to me demos of nice warming, filtering or simple compression. Almost shows how it can be sound’s destroyer.

So guys, if you could post some examples with just compression or filtering or subtle warming, it will be nice :heart_eyes:

Thank you.

Holy crap that sounds good. I may cave in and get one too.

Yo…!
I’m looking for reverb with filter and that bam reverb got one, but does that filter control the reverb sound or the incoming audio from the inputs?
I need to filter the reverb sound only, inna king tubby style. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Can’t find any info on how to use these FX in mono mode? Is it just to use the left output only (don’t have them in front of me right now)? I’m planning a live set and I’m trying to get by on only 8 channels…

Yes Bam’s filters control the reverb

2 Likes

To use in mono, you have to use the left input and output.

Cool thanks! So that makes it mono, not just the left part of the stereo? It’s just that it says nothing about it in the manual and they haven’t answered when I asked the question via email :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t expect any kind of broad filtering “effects” here - these really should be considered more like ‘tone controls’ than filters. You have 5 options to choose from for both the HPF and LPF (stepped, not smooth transitions between them), with no control of resonance.

2 Likes

Thanks panelist for that detail, i was afraid that the filter is gentle and more tone control like you said. I need more agressive filter for my reverb but seems like there isnt any good reverbs for that. Maybe i have to consider some kind of module reverb+filter module system.