OTO Machines FX - BIM BAM BOUM

New BIM Firmware is out! Very nice stuff!

The features of this new revision are now definitive :
– 2 new FXs : Reverse and Thru (input gain, filters and 12-bit conversion but without delay)
– TAP tempo display on or off (setting kept on memory)
– Improvement of the accuracy of TAP tempo, MIDI beat clock and FREEZE. Now FREEZE is almost always in sync (with the technology used in BIM it’s not possible to get FREEZE perfectly synced for a long time, but it’s far better than before). FREEZE was not designed to be a looper, so don’t expect to have a synced loop for 3 minutes !
– Bug fix : Spillover and Aux mode were not working well, espcially after changing the ACTIVE mode parameter or after a preset load
– Bug fix : The TAP switch was not working in “TAP to LFO” or “TAP to Both” modes
– Bug fix : “LFO Division” was not working after a change in setting. Needed to tap the tempo again
– Bug fix : on early BIM units, the delay was out of sync for a short time after a stop and play.

1 Like

installed but haven’t had a chance to test… really wanna test out the new modes. i was using the big a thru, works well to warm stuff up.

Looks like new bam firmware

BAM REVISION 2.4
OTO Machines - april 2018
BAM revision 2.4 adds new features and fixes a bug with CC number 18.

1. NEW FEATURES:

1.1/ One new FX Type : THRU. It lets you use the whole BAM circuitry (pre-delay, input gain, filters and 16-bit AD & DA conversion) but without reverb. The REVERB TIME and DAMPING pots and CHORUS parameter are inactive in this mode.
The TYPE parameter has now 8 settings : Room, Hall, Plate, Ambient, Chorus, Non- Linear, Primitive and Thru.

In this mode you can add a simple delay with the P-DELAY pot or the TAP switch.

1.2/ TAP DISPLAY : TAP tempo display can be set to ON or OFF.
This setting is accessible by pressing the TAP switch while powering BAM on.
Each time you press the TAP switch while powering BAM on, the TAP display is alternatively set to ON or OFF. This setting is kept in memory.

As soon as you turn the P-DELAY pot, the TAP switch stops flashing.
Please note that only the « TAP to Pre-Delay time » feature works. The « TAP to reverb time » doesn’t work in this revision.

1. BUG FIXES:
    2.1/ CC number 18 (Type) was not working. Fixed on this revision.

When is Boum coming out? This month?

Tried the new firmware on the Bam last night… the thru mode is cooler that I expected, and is surprisingly a lot dirtier than the Bim’s 12-bit conversion. My Bim is serial #0149, so I’m waiting to hear back about upgrading it (units under 0300 are advised to contact Oto). Really hoping I don’t need to send it anywhere, but would love to play with the reverse setting (and the ability to turn the tap tempo light off!!!).

edit: Looks like I just have to wait a little more for the Bim update :slight_smile:

"I’m working on a special revision for users with serial number under 300.
Please contact me directly (support email) if you want to upgrade your BIM and I’ll give you more infos and release date.
Denis "

2 Likes

So it will be MPC60 and EPS sounding?

i thought so, still waiting to hear back from the distributor i ordered from.

1 Like

Good to know…

I have a BIM and BAM. Updated the BAM first with no problem, then tried the BIM and… nothing. Then I checked the update instructions and realized I have a number below 300… so hopefully I can get the old firmware and get it up and running again :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Are the Oto Bim and Bam good enough for end of chain? Both of these units have me drooling

1 Like

sure

2 Likes

I was able to resuscitate my BIM, but had to flash it with a PICkit3 and a hex file direct from OTO. Pretty straight forward process, though

1 Like

I impulsively ordered a Boum from Perfect Circuit when I saw they were in stock today. I lost interest a bit due to all the overly distorted demos that didn’t do much to please my ears. But some recent demos I heard did a good job of showing how effective it can be at giving drums some extra punch. Also, the fact that it can store presets, and all the parameters can be automated totally sealed the deal. It’s really rare for an analog compressor to have these features.

Per the person who posted these SoundCloud demos: “there are 5 stages per clip. The original loop, followed by 4 different settings for it.”

6 Likes

Can the compressor do values like 2:1? How can you tell with the dots?

Drums, for now. Since I’m running my drums in mono, I’ll actually only be utilizing one of its channels. Eventually, I’ll try using the sidechain on it while processing a stereo bus.

It only has one knob that controls the ratio, threshold, and makeup all at once. I think it’s an interesting simplification of parameters that I imagine might prove to be effective for making operating it feel more musical. Here a diagram illustrating the ratios at different knob positions:

3 Likes

thanks for sharing this - someone just did OTOmachines a huge favor, the demos they put out were obnoxious to my ears and don’t seem do justice to the boum.
Drums 1 and 3 have something very nice sounding with the treatments chosen. Drum 2 is hard to listen to as the hats seem to suffer quite a bit from some lowly mp3 compression which I assume soundcloud could be the reason for. I wish there were some subtle demos with high quality audio as I am in the market for a device like this

3 Likes

GAS activated. Been eyeing this for a while. I think I’m gonna have to get all 3.

1 Like

Do you like it?
It sounds great, and seems like exactly what I would hope for from this thing.
The simplification seemed weird at first, but it might be more fun this way.
Thanks for the demo!

FYI not my demos. Waiting for mine to arrive this weekend. I’ll share my thoughts once I’ve had a chance to mess around with it.

2 Likes

Hey Prints did you get it yet? What do you like and dislike about it?