OP-1 field

De-rigeur equipment for social media synfluencers, just remember sign up to their patreon, buy them a coffee, like, subscribe, comment - so that they can afford one :rofl:

Joking aside, it looks very nice but for 2k it also looks very over priced when you consider other options, and the silly limits like 256mb memory and upto 20 seconds sampling time.

22 Likes

Yeah, I canā€™t even read the specs right now thru the tears. This thing is a beast reading more into it. Drum stacking, deep midi capabilities. arghhhhhh!!

What are you thinking of here. I canā€™t think of anything similar at such a size, and that has always been one of the main OP-1 selling point.

One positive is maybe the second hand market for OP1s might finally calm down againā€¦

7 Likes

Thatā€™s silly money.

3 Likes

love the look of this, seems like a lot of great upgrades. but still 4 track tape? and then thereā€™s that priceā€¦ Ā£1200 for the old one seemed crazy, but this is a step to far for me.

4 Likes

It seems like you do have 4 track STEREO tape thoughā€¦

if I knew nothing about TE and just saw this for the first time Iā€™d assume it would cost around ā‚¬799.

11 Likes

:+1:

1 Like

It did at one point. Thatā€™s part of the problem

5 Likes

true true

Honestly at Ā£799 Iā€™d buy one anyday. Still a bit pricey but youā€™d be getting a LOT. Once you get upwards of Ā£1000 things start to get difficult for these kinds of devices.

3 Likes

Remember when the original was $849? 10 years of inflation, shortages, covid etc, does it add up? I dunno but damn that price was good back in the day. Almost unbelievable

13 Likes

Nothing that directly competes sure, but there are quite a few portable samplers/sequencers around since the last few years, SP404mk2, MPC Live2, Deluge, 1010 stuff, not to mention ipad etc.

To me it seems a bit not quite a big enough update from OP1 to warrant the price.

2 Likes

If I had that much money that this 2000 mark felt like 200, I would probably buy it. Iā€™m certain thatā€™s a lot of fun. But only FUN. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

& Dirtywave M8 :wink:

10 Likes

I think thatā€™s where my head would be if looking for a portable device with a bit of oomph.

1 Like

Initially there is only one new sequencer, synth and effect. But the difference lies in that everything has gone from mono to stereo and 32-bit data

OP-1 vs OP-1 Field is really more of a Lo-Fi vs. Hi-Fi kind of thing.

You also have different tapes and you can have multiple tapes (I am able to have 7 tapes to switch between)

I made this short highlighting the difference in sample engine by using the same sample on OP-1 OG and OP-1F and playing them back at -4 octave

10 Likes

No new sound engine it seems. (Edit: oh yes there is: Dimension thx @MichaalHell )
A ā€œMotherā€ FX.
USB-C, output, + stereo input (Iā€™ve been hoping for this for so long!)
Tape styles.
New sequencer type.

I would love to upgrade my good old OP-1.
LoFi sound and mono tracks/recording are things I will not miss.

But Iā€™ll wait for next year, hoping prices get a bit less silly.

3 Likes

It has a new synth engine called ā€œDimensionā€ which is a virtual analog engine which sounds rolandesque imo

1 Like