OP-1 field

Do you use many of the synth sounds, or mostly samples? I struggle getting synth sounds I like on mine.

2 Likes

I feel you and I hope you recieve your op-1f soon and report back on how you like it. From what I’ve seen and heard about it, as well as my experience with the og-1, I think the op-1f holds the potential to be the one piece of gear I’d choose, if I were to ever reduce my setup to a single electronic instrument.
The og-1 almost held that potential for me, but the updates regarding stereo, recording quality and the multiple tapes the op-1f brings are what will most probably sell it to me sometime down the road as an “all in one” solution for music making.
I’ve been slimming down and simplifying a lot in the past years, not only in terms of music gear, but also other hobbies (gaming only on the switch, all reading on an e-reader, using only 1 really good knife for cooking, getting rid of vinlys and cds and going full digital on music listening, etc), and it’s just very liberating to declutter everything.
That being said, I also pre-ordered an m8 early this year and recently got a syntakt, so I’m not quite there yet when it comes down to reducing music gear :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Did you guys see this sonic state video? everything seemingly is custom on the OP-1F . like every component, so in terms of R and D this is pretty much a high spec level, hence the price.

4 Likes

The stereo part makes this super compelling in a setup with other instruments too. Like, now it’s a super-quality tape midi-synced recorder for the Octatrack, or just to use with iOS apps.

I’d like to see some videos with a deeper look at the synths now, too.

2 Likes

Sounds like OP-1 is right for you. It just clicks :relaxed:

3 Likes

Also true, if that’s the workflow you’re going for. But the whole stereo thing is what really elevates the op-1f as a standalone device for me. Recording something to the tape, putting a master fx on it, resampling it, chopping it up, recording to the tape again, slowing it down, etc.
This was all possible and good fun on the og-1, but only in mono, which was a big bummer for me.

I’ve always felt that the op1 is one of the most inspiring music gadgets while also being one of the worst sounding and for whatever reason I am happy with that. I love the op1, but more as a piece of art to inspire than a quality sounding instrument.

3 Likes

This is what I’ve been saying all along.

I’m a mechanical engineer by trade and I fully know how much manufacturing costs… and the biggest price integer is actually the anticipated volume of the serial production. In other words how many units they will produce each year and for how long they will sell the product…

Wolkswagen cars cost they way they cost because they have a sales volume of a million cars a year and they spread out the cost over several cars using platforms for the basis of each car (they can reuse parts for other cars and brands etc.)

I can’t imagine the volume of the TX-6 being more then the lower thousands each year and this will reflect heavily on the price… it’s one thing if they use off the shelf parts because the supplier of those parts sell to other manufacturers and can then push the price down of each part because they sell them by the millions. TE makes their own parts and sell them at a volume of lower thousands… just imagine the price difference there!

The response to this has mostly been “I’m also in the business and now how much hardware cost and it’s still expensive” and my retort to that is “stop fucking lying”

Edit: I just wanted to add that the sales volume is the biggest driver for how parts are manufactured

14 Likes

Yeah and the entire UI has been redone. It’s has been completely overhauled, which includes a tremendous amount of both coding and graphic design assets also. Seriously, the quirky interactive graphical assets are part of the charm of the device. The appeal of the instrument has always been that playful artistic feedback loop to make music on, not just a sterile windows 95 interface to make tunes in.

1 Like

I’d need to be much better at using my current op1 before considering an upgrade. When/if that time comes I do appreciate the subtle design evolution. - I could probably sneak the field in as a replacement and my wife would never know! High risk strategy mind you…

3 Likes

So will the original op1 get the new synth and reverb (as they are still selling it) or is it done now for updates? I assume there are no two different firmwares and the field op1 firmware won’t rub on the original?

I wonder if you can switch the old colored knobs for the new beigecore ones. That would help :wink:

2 Likes

Make a really big deal asking your wife to pick you up a silver pen at the shops as you want to reskin your OP1 to give it a fresh look

2 Likes

I don’t know anything but based on specs and all they seem like two different hardware platforms which would discard backporting features. Maybe incompatible.
@MichaalHell would you say this release may be motivated by TE having maxed out the possibilities of the old platform? Being more than 10 years old it seems a reasonable reason.

EDIT: I would really LOVE to know more technical details about it tbh

1 Like

What is the real world point of having a Radio Transmitter. Im not understanding that hyped feature

I don’t get that either…

I think it’s more for use with their OB-4 than anything.

1 Like

Can I get one using normal parts that costs a normal price?

2 Likes

Ah so it can transmit radio to the radio? Hmm

no soup for you

1 Like