OP-1 field

I wrote an article about how the OP-1 is still the fastest and easiest sampler around.

https://straightnofilter.com/2022/08/01/why-are-no.html

13 Likes

Great read.

Never saw the OP-1 quite like this. Now I’m kinda seeing this and me Prophet suddenly getting along quite well.

1 Like

Good read. Mind boggling really that there‘s nothin equally simple and straightforward out there.

1 Like

Sorry about that :wink:

2 Likes

‘just when you thought you were out…’

6 Likes

yes there really is no competition, and thats mind boggling given that its been out for 10 years.
I’ve been playing with my op-1 field for 2 weeks now, and still 75% of battery. insane.
perhaps only deluge and m8 are just as ‘portable’, but still so different and less easy to use.

Yes, I bought and sold one OP-1F but I was amazed how fast I could sample my Matrixbrute and make a nice melody on it. I personally dont like the internal sequencers but for sampling, so damn easy and fast. I will buy another unit once I get a bonus at work…hint hint boss.

Exactly. And now it has around 500 slots for saving them. I’m also getting much better sounds out of the synths now. The new dimension synth is surprisingly deep when you start experimenting. The LFO is key here.

Sequencer-wise, it works really nicely with the OP-Z. I’ve just been using that to sequence the OP-1 direct, and recording the results to tape. Wirelessly :0

Perfect Circuit has them in stock…so tempting…I really need to wait for my “bonus” but I really miss the one I tried for a week. AUGH

2 Likes

Nice article. Agree on all points. Sampling ease wise it’s rather like the Casio SK-1, with obviously far more usable results. Plus the looping cross fade and fine edit point on the field make it even more usable. It can also transpose far further than possible previously.

1 Like

Anything cheaper as an alternative out there? Or do you think the old OP-1 is good enough?

Not sure if there’s really comparable alternatives. The OG OP1 is still a great machine, and well worth it. Other options that might be worth considering, since they’re just fun machines that share some things in common (portability, sequencing, internal synths, sampling), would be the Synthstrom Deluge and the Dirtywave M8.

2 Likes

Really? Nobody even gonna mention the opz? Pretty much the same sampling and synth engines… much better sequencer… not as deep though and you program it instead of play it.

1 Like

how about some video?

2 Likes

Working on it! But might take a while.

1 Like

Sampling on the OP-Z is a pain compared to the OP-1, but still better than many machines for sure. Also, not stereo! But, better FX!

I do wish both the OP-1 and OP-Z would do transient detection on the drum sampler’s auto-chop.

Any hot tips on stock in EU? :smiley:

Deleting/overwriting Snapshots on Op-1f would be a really good and useful feature.

1 Like

GAK in the UK now have stock if anyone is looking

1 Like