New Octatrack onwer, sets and file management question

I add a letter before date, so that projects are listed after AUDIO folder. My project template is before AUDIO.

2 Likes

I’m glad I’m not the only one that only uses 1 set. I’ve never been able to work out what they’re for…

1 Like

Duh, youse lot.
If you open up the second set thats where the polyphony options are.

7 Likes

Maybe for people who want to finish a musical project without being distracted by inappropriate samples in AUDIO folder ? OCD ? Keep it tidy ?

Because imho that’s the most annoying, you can’t access to other sets samples.

3 Likes

If you have a set that is reaaaalllllyyyy big. Consumes tons of storage.
And you want to prepare something for another purpose, you can move the big set with all it’s samples to your computer to store it to make place on the card, so you can put it later back onto it.

That’s the purpose of sets as far as i can understand.
It helps to group projects and samples so you can backup, move and restore if space is an issue.
Or perhaps you create one set for an album, etc.

3 Likes

It kind of feels like the ‘project’ and ‘set’ labels should be the other way round - but then that would make things too simple - OT has these quirks to bring us together as a community.

3 Likes

Yes, good example if you don’t have time to clean it all.
You can also buy another card.
1 card per set ! :content:

1 Like

Im shy when it gets to put or remove card into octatrack :smiley:
those pins do not look really solid to me. :woozy_face:

1 Like

Not shy but carefull and sober in my concern. :wink:

2 Likes

Sets can be handy if you have lots of samples in your audio pool, especially if you don’t always have samples save in the project folder. A good example of using sets is one per album, it makes things a bit easier to find I think.

3 Likes

…the card slot is the only truuly fragile part of the whole thing…handle always with care…
get a truu pro card, fast and solid…64 gigs max…always have a folder on ur desktop that mirrors it’s whole content…u’ll will need only one set forever…and only one audio pool…make sure u got one top folder structure to ur liking and stick to that…always think in sample chains…enjoy the ride…

2 Likes

Misunderstood parts ?Octasmacked!

4 Likes

wtf-gif

1 Like

Because imho that’s the most annoying, you can’t access to other sets samples.

Yeah, that’s why I’d probably work mostly within one set. I can see why people might use separate sets for backup and archival purposes.

Yeah, one set for now then. Not sure if there may be a reason to use another set for a live situation where I do a lot of live sampling and resampling and want to save all that together. It seems like samples (including from the record buffers) can be saved directly into the project folder?

Unrelated thing that kept messing me up today. I was triggering samples using the 9-16 trig keys, but kept thinking I was also selecting the track for editing parameters like on the Digitakt, but actually that’s done with the track buttons like on the Analog 4. So I’d change some parameters and trigger the sample again, and then be like “I can’t hear any difference” only to realize I was screwing things up on a different track. Then I was wondering why I triggering the track trigs 1-8 wasn’t doing anything, and then poked around here and online and in the manual and discovered “plays free” Woah man, this thing is NUTS!

project menu >> system >> personalize has this option.

in the project menu you can also use “collect samples” to move any sample from the AUDIO pool into the project folder which you should do before you move samples or folders in the AUDIO folder (because it will break projects if samples used by projects move).

1 Like

Ah, another thing I was wondering about with regard to organizing a file structure on the CF card.

So in theory does your song then take the sample from the project folder rather then the audio pool (changes the link etc)

a project will look in its own directory for a sample before it looks in the AUDIO folder.

1 Like

Cool. Will have to remember to do this