MOTU Ultralite MK5

The “optimized drivers” are for lower latency on macOS as opposed to using class compliant on macOS.

That being said, I have 3 iPads on an 828es, 2 connected to the adat inputs.
If I route audio from a usb iPad out adat to that iPad and route it back to the usb iPad, my latency is about 10ms round trip.

2 Likes

Sorry I misread your earlier post as “IOS latency is lower than on a Mac”

1 Like

I actually have 0 ms latency on my Mac. But that’s probably because I haven’t used my Mac (or any compouter) for audio in about 6 years. :stuck_out_tongue:
Been iOS all this time.

2 Likes

I still haven’t opened the Scarlett 18i8 that I bought late last year.

I got quite a bit of homework to do before making a call on selling that in favor of this new MOTU

I think everyone is in agreement that performance should be faster when connected to Mac/PC vs IOS.

1 Like

I tried the 18i20, and didn’t care for it. There’s a real lack of headroom compared to the MOTU,
I looked at the one you have, but I needed the adat outputs, not just inputs

1 Like

My MOTU 828 MkII preamps kinda suck so that’s one reason I’m a bit hesitant. I’m no golden-eared audiophile by any means, but even I was shocked at the difference in audio quality between running instruments through the 828 preamps vs. the ones on my Chinese-made Mackie mixer.

However, I do admit my bias is unfair as the 828 is quite old now and I’m sure MOTU has made many improvements since.

1 Like

Yea, I wasn’t that into MOTU back when the 828 MK2 was out. I was more a Metric Halo guy at the time, as the conversion was noticeably better.

But since the AVB era, which started around 5-6 years ago. MOTU has been :ok_hand:t3:

6 Likes

Ya my 828es is sweet!

1 Like

Looks like it’s £599 in the UK.

Looks really nice. I had to grab a mk3 a few months back as I got it nearly new for a great price. Was originally looking for mk4 but couldnt find them in stock.

Might upgrade to mk5 once i find out how they run in the wild. :rofl:

1 Like

The smaller the connector, the bigger the chance for accidental disconnect in a busy club/stage booth…

3 Likes

I feel you. I use the 828 Mk2 now for several years as a digital mixer/patchbay (CueMix is quite nice!) and I have the impression that some tracks made with my Mackie 1642VLZ had a bit more punch.
But that is my totally unscientific personal impression :smiley:

The Ultralite Mk5 sparked my interested because I could use the 828 Mk2 as a ADAT expansion, while I could the newer preamps of the Ultralite for more “important” channels like my main MPC or the most used synths. The second advantage would be, that I could use an iPad for multitracking all the channels into Cubasis for example. My current laptop is seven years old and I’m torn between buying a new laptop or a new iPad.

FWIW I’ve generally found the couple of USB-C connectors I’ve had have been a tighter fit than the Firewire, USB A and B connectors I’ve used. Personally I’d like the option of clamped or screw-tightened connectors as we used to have with serial and parallel cables back in the day…

3 Likes

Clubs. :astonished: How could I forget about that. :man_facepalming: :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Grandpa! Can you tell me again about the old times when you went out to meet all these people you didn t know at all and dance together and sweat and touch each other all night long? Must ve been so weird!

4 Likes

Like another poster from yesterday, I’m not familiar with AVB. Doesn’t sound like something I need. But it’s reassuring to hear that the quality has gotten better.

1 Like

I don’t use AVB either.
But when MOTU started using it in their devices, it coincided with newly written drivers and updated A/D, D/A converters. Hence the term AVB era. :thup:

6 Likes
1 Like

Worth mentioning that, like the MK4 before it, the included PSU is required for use.
This is not bus powered.
But you have 10 DC coupled outputs, which are great for modular.

7 Likes

Thank you for that reminder.

They are also available on Amazon. Not sure how ok it is to mention that given some of the opinions on this forum. :wink: (<-- This is a J O K E).

1 Like