MOTU Ultralite MK5

:laughing:

1 Like

Yup, time to sell the kids.

1 Like

What is the price on this puppy?

2 Likes

That is the other shoe…

Now if Overbridge worked with apple silicon…this would take care of all my non-elektron I/O needs

1 Like

It’s hard to tell what Apple is going to do. I’m fairly pessimistic about it all given Apple’s track record in recent years and steadily turning into a very walled garden. I can easily see them turning their backs on the ‘Pro’ audio market and deciding that 20-30ms latency (or whatever it is) via USB/TB is ‘good enough’ for their average user and moving on. Really wouldn’t surprise me at all, though I do hope that they come out with an acceptable solution for everyone.

2 Likes

As a counterpoint, I’d point to the recent(ish) beefy updates to the Mac Pro and Logic - both of which received keynote attention. It’s definitely still uncertain to what level they’re committed to their pro market, but there are some signs they want to keep pro users on board :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

USB Class Compliance

iOS compatibility

The UltraLite-mk5 is USB audio class compliant, giving you plug-and-play compatibility with iPad® and other Apple® iOS devices. Record on-the-go, directly to your iPad, or play backing tracks during a gig, mixed with your live inputs with the UltraLite-mk5’s built-in mixing. Control everything from the CueMix 5™ mixing app on your iPad or iPhone.

I’m eyeing a new Macbook Pro but this is good to know, I think. But, if it has “optimized drivers for Mac and PC” yet is also class-compliant, I wonder what the compromise is for IOS users - less channels, or even stereo in/out only?

2 Likes

wow :heart_eyes:

If it’s like any of the others, you’ll be limited to 24in/24out via usb and lose the ability to use cuemix.
They never made a cuemix app for iOS.
Which is why I opted for an AVB interface, which, I can’t say I’m thrilled with as the mixer as it’s browser based and needs a network connection over the Ethernet port on the interface.
The “optimized drives” get the latency a little lower than class compliant on a Mac.

My guess is not as low latency when using class compliant.
But I doubt the difference is huge. The M2 was pretty low latency with iPad.

price looks to be about if not the same.

tite little unit!
damn I LOVE MOTU

1 Like

What’s the main difference between this and they avb - other than a few extra i/o and a couple of hundred quids? Coming from someone who’s not great at reading the specs of these things…

$595 at sweetwater

The mixer software and AVB is network audio like Dante.

Was more curious about channel count, which appears to have been addressed by micabeza’s post

Yeah that means nothing to me!:slight_smile: I’m just reading up on avb and I guess it’s something for professional studio setups only? Or is it if you’d want to route through a physical mixer you could do that with an avb enabled mixer?

I bet it is latency related, at least in part.

My iOS devices I’m using usb, not thunderbolt.
But 24 channels is a limitation of iOS, not MOTU. Regardless of brand, I’ll only see 24.

1 Like

I don’t have Thunderbolt on my IOS devices either.

I think you meant higher latency on IOS, not lower, right?

1 Like