New Machines for your machine

‘But all Syntakt stuff sounds like Syntakt’

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Be more like Jeanne and put in some actual effort. :+1::+1::+1:

11 Likes

@rrodseth Another constraint (no doubt to limit memory/CPU load) is that there are a finite number of parameter locks you can use in a pattern.

Up to 72 different parameters can be locked in a pattern. A parameter counts as one (1)
locked parameter no matter how many trigs that lock it. If for example the cutoff parameter
of the filter is locked on every sequencer step, there are still 71 other parameters that
can be locked.

Same goes for the Digitakt but interestingly the Digitone gets 80. Syntakt feels like the most likely box you’ll ever hit that limit with though… “only” 6 params per track! :dizzy_face:

It doesn’t actually say in the manual whether or not sound locks have a limit to them or whether they have any impact on the parameter lock limit… as really a sound lock is just a parameter lock for every single parameter at once (26 on the Syntakt at a rough count, plus all the sound setup settings too), so in theory placing a sound lock on three tracks would be enough locked parameters to hit that limit which doesn’t seem likely, so perhaps it is managed separately - if there is a limit then I’m not sure what it is!

1 Like

Ah, SY BITS isn’t your favorite kick machine anymore ? :content:
I think SY TONE can be the most agressive…

Would be nice.
128 :wink:

1 Like

ARmk1 wants SY RAW please
@Elektron

2 Likes

Wouldn’t it be just “RAW” or maybe “AR RAW” ?

Less if you do what I do… to get around the fact that you can’t directly machine lock I’ve got a “default” version of each machine saved to the pool so I can be more flexible within a single track (first sound lock to get the other machine then param lock it to edit), handy but takes up nearly 1/3 of the slots now! Can do this on the AR as well.

1 Like

I didn’t get into machine locking when I had a Cycles, so the effect is lost on me. I don’t get what y’all see in it… :wink:

Anyway… once you have p-locked the “new” machine, do you then save the sound and reset the sound lock to the saved sound? That would free up some of your slots.

As long as it tracks properly over two octaves, they can call it Stephanie, or Jeremy.

1 Like

It’s just useful for doing more within one track, e.g. if you’re doing some standard house beat stuff you can have your on-beat kick, off-beat hihat and maybe some toms or other percs all on one track, freeing up all the others for more complex stuff.

No I’ll always keep the default machines as they are, cos then I can use them elsewhere and always know where I’m starting from when I sound lock them. Tbh I’m not that bothered about the limited number of slots, I’ve never actually filled the list all the way up (so far).

Well, with the update, RAW is of course my favourite kick machine :wink:
However, this SY TONE kick was inspired by my Digitone, where I have exactely the same patch and recreated it on the Syntakt. Different kicks for different songs :wink:
One of the coolest things of the synthesiser journey for me is that whatever piece of gear I have or once had (like the DFAM), it influences and expands on how I use all other synths …

4 Likes

Someone else had a problem because their computer wasn’t updated.

If you’re on a Mac, make sure you are on Ventura.

Just a thought!

Can you say how you sculpt the machine to do your kicks?

I’m playing around, and I get turned around with the different waves. I get close, but not kicky enough.

1 Like

For me the first port of call is always an exponential LFO in “one” mode on the pitch, most of the kickiness is dialled in there and the other machine/filter settings just add flavour. Works on almost anything, you’d be surprised how solid of a kick you can make with almost any sample on the Digitakt if pitched down to the right point.

2 Likes

Square wave and then the low pass filter, letting a short klick through and then only bass. Noise can be added as well (and then, at maximum overdrive, no noise is audible, but then you can slowly dial overdrive down).

One can always layer a digital kick (with a high pass filter) to have a “klick”, i believe that is what people on the Analog Rytm do, except there with samples.

(Edit: of course, as @tehbilb said, lfo exp -> pitch is the first order of business :wink: )

4 Likes

An alternative click method to briefly allowing noise through with the LPF at the start is to turn the noise (or BR on the Digitakt) down to 0 then use a second exponential LFO (also in one mode) to crank it right at the start - freeing up the filter for EQing work, like a bass boost or cutting some mids out etc.

1 Like

Thank you. I screenshotted it for future use.

Nov 30th - should I buy a third one?:thinking::grimacing::sunglasses:
:smiling_imp:: Do it - any money will be worth half or less in a few months - ST is black gold - and even has utility
:anguished::innocent::mask:: Don’t do it. You don’t even have money.
:smiling_imp: Don’t listen to them. Dept is money and money is dept.
:anguished::innocent::mask:: No! Only money is money. Use what you have, master it first, find happiness in diligence and constant improvement, go for a walk
:smiling_imp:: rubbish. You mastered one ST, you can be master of 2, 3 - all of them :crazy_face::star_struck::star_struck::cowboy_hat_face::smiley::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:
:smiling_imp:: and you might be dead by tomorrow. :japanese_goblin::ghost:

5 Likes

Yes I planned this too, especially for Analog Drums machines. I start from scratch most of the time and never use factory presets.
Once I know perfectly the machine (ST in this case), I do templates.

Plocking machines without Soundlocks would be great…

Yeah it would be so handy, at least this workaround exists but in a way that makes it all the more frustrating cos clearly the hardware can handle it!

My advice if you’re gonna do it is to use the Overbridge app, quicker to get around and obviously typing out the names of 37 default presets like “D-BD MODERN” would be dire on the box itself.

I would save them to the library first rather than the pool so that you can use them again in other projects - only issue is Overbridge only saves presets to the first bank with an empty slot, and has no functionality for moving saved sounds as far as I can see, whereas I wanted to keep all of mine at the start of bank H so I can easily find them again (the BANK+trig keys shortcut when viewing the library is a handy feature that I bet not that many people are aware of), so once I was done creating them all in Overbridge, I then had to use the box itself to select them all, copy to Bank H and then delete from wherever they started. Then easy enough to copy to the pool either on the box or OB and you’re done :blush: takes a bit of time to get through them all either way but worth it once you do.

1 Like