New kit delivered already opened

Sure my last mixer had been used before. It even had an issue with one channel.

Got sent straight back and I got one that was brand spanking. I was happy I didn’t decide to just live with it for the “less hassle”.

most of my synths are close to forty years old, and the majority of my newer gear was bought used. so I don’t have a problem buying used stuff. but it should be marked down accordingly, not sold as new.

2 Likes

i´m sure that happens more often than you think.
not sure about music market, but someone told me
that in hifi markets it´s usual that they repack used units
and replace the cheap stuff (cables, manual, remote control, etc…) with brandnew sealed ones.
even when i buy b-stock i expect the unit to be complete, clean and fully working of course.
when i buy new stuff i expect it to be new !
if it is used but clean and working i´d ask for a big discount.
otherwise it goes back.
if it would be a seller who already got tons of my money
i´d ask for a new unit AND a discount for the inconvinience :wink:
Kunde ist König !
btw. i sent back stuff too. some of them i repacked that well that you wouldn´t notice it is used.
i also ordered b stock or even used ebay treated and packed that well i totally would have accepted as new…

I’ve never had an issue with this type of stunt.
I see a number of responses talking about people sending things back.
In the UK, I think we’re less likely to send things back unless they are faulty, maybe? (or maybe it’s just my hoarding problem!)
Sometimes you’ll notice product offerings described as b-stock or demo-unit and will have a reduction because of that.

I recall 2 issues where I did wonder if I’d had a demo/b-stock sent to me as new:

• Korg Tiny Piano for my daughter - the finish had been scuffed. Noted the paper in the packaging had been folded awkwardly, but no fingerprints…and then I remembered that my daughter is going to be set loose on it, so no point worrying.

• Thought I had an open then resealed box from Thomann in Germany. No finger prints on the kit - figured they may have opened it to throw in a UK mains lead rather than the Euro one. Top chaps!

Neither was a real “open box” issue.

This is part of the problem I think… for example I won’t return an item because it’s too much hassle. I just take it up the ass. I think more people do this then fight it.

I bought a left handed guitar & the guitar I got was not only right handed it was a much cheaper guitar. I sent them a message with pictures telling them I’ll mail them their guitar back if they mail me the guitar I ordered, but it was out of stock. All they offered was a refund. Which means I would have to pack up the guitar, drive to the post office just to be right where I was before I bought the guitar. I would have to work for nothing. So I gave it to my brother.

Spot on. If an item was damaged then I would send it back but if there is no wear and tear to the item then I just hang onto the item. For example, my Digitakt was delivered with the security sticker cut (i.e. the box had been opened) and the perforated section inside the box containing the usb cable had also been opened. However, the kit itself showed no sign of use whatsoever and all the accessories looked fine, so I was unsure if this was a return or if it had been opened for any other reason.

1 Like

Ive bought gear several months old used and shows no sign of use. Thats the problem. Why should you pay full price for a returned item. My opinion of small retailers is declining as Amazon takes over the world.