New Gear

PM me if you’re in the states and want a deal on a gently used TB-03.

maybe i spent less time with the P2 as usual with a synth but i could not help myself, it somehow always sounds wrong to me and quite aggressive even when tamed

Verstehe, aber genau dieser rohe Sound ist das, was mir so gefällt… :slight_smile:

1 Like

alles klar :thup:

1 Like

I am from the Netherlands. Sorry but good luck with the sell of your TB-03!

1 Like

It’s hard to see past the A4/AK when looking at 2nd hand prices. I got my A4 with Elektron gig bag and lid for £500 - that’s just ridiculous. There was an AK that twice went unsold at a starting bid price of £500 (no reserve). Still raging I didn’t jump on that one just for the bargain.

1 Like

Mmm, a used (but complete and boxed) A4 just went for £430 on ebay yesterday. Don’t really need it, but I definitely have my eye on one.

1 Like

I’d second the A4 Mk1 for value-for-money. I got ine myself a few months ago here on the forum and for the price I paid, I really can’t complain. The box is no Moog or DSI, but what it does it does really well.

You have a bunch of monosynths, so like someone else suggested already, maybe a poly next? The Peak is interesting, but for my money I’d go with a DSI Rev2. The module version can be found online used for the same price (8-voice model) or slightly more (16-voice model) than the Peak. I know because I’ve been contemplating getting one for weeks now :slight_smile:

1 Like

At the moment I am scoping the A4 MKII because of the performance knobs. I really dig those. Further I like it that is can be used in Poly or as a multimbral up to 4 mono synths.

I’ve noticed that the BS2 is a bit in the way of the MB sound wise. The Digitone is ideal as a poly and brings a nice different flavour in the mix. So I have put the Roland SE-02 off my list.

I am now looking at the following options:

• Elektron A4 MK2
  • Novation Peak
  • Prophet Rev2

I am making music as a hobby. I create Techno and minimal Techno. Perhaps anyone can share some thoughts on that aspect aswell. In the future I really want a Rytm as my main Drumcomputer.

Does anybody know if the Prophet REV2 can be played like 2 synths. I saw it can be layered or with a split keyboard. But can it played over two different midi channel?

Difficult choice overall. I know I can’t have them all. But I think the choice is do I want a Polyphonic beast or a Sequence beast like the A4. Further I think it is 50/50 for the Peak or REV2 as a polyphonic synth.

Just in case it’s not clear, the A4 Mk1 can also be used in poly mode. In terms of features, Mk1 and Mk2 are pretty much identical (bar the additional outs and updated overdrive). I hear you re the extra controls on the Mk2, at least to me, those weren’t worth the price difference. Also, personally I prefer the Mk1 form factor, something to consider :slight_smile:

Not sure if the Rev2 can be addressed through two separate midi channels. what exactly do you want to achieve here? Play two presets simultaneously but through different midi tracks?

All three options on your list are great! Do you have the possibility to try them out somewhere?

I find the A4 very jammable, goes well with my Digitakt and those two alone can serve a full live set.

re Peak vs Rev2, I think both sound great, but to me I’d choose the Rev2 anyday. It just sounds more interesting to me, though DSI synths do have that rowdy vibe about their sound. The Peak sounds great but to my ears I feel it to be a bit “polite”…I’m sure it’s capable of great sounds though, just a personal feeling :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi man,

Thank you for this advice. I like the idea that the A4 is jammable. It is good to know I am not a Piano or Keyboard player.

There are some places where I can test them out. The A4 I have played before. I do like the form factor of the MKII. I like the square buttons and it’s silver / metallic look and feel.

But I am not in rush and expect to make a precise decision at the end of the moment.

But any thoughts and tips are welcome so far.

Hi Guys,

Thank you for the help and tips. I will go for the A4 MK2. Next will be the Polysynth.

Found some fun synths thnx to you!

A few months ago I was in that same dilemma- A4 MK2 or Peak. I went for the A4 and I couldn’t be happier, it’s a very fun box to jam with. Also have a DT and they are best friends :slight_smile:

2 Likes