New Elektronaut

So my first post here… just managed to grab a factory sealed digitakt from ebay for just under £500 (late to the party I know!) This is my first Elektron device and I have to say it’s blown me away! From the units size and weight, to the matt black metal casing, yellow OLED screen and clicky mechanical buttons, which I was very unsure about after watching numerous videos, but in real life they are superb and a real plus point for me now. I wasn’t sure about the purchase, having read posts of the so called difficult ‘Elektron workflow’ and it’s limitations. I prefer the hands on of a hardware/groovebox/sampler, as working on a laptop all day, the last thing I want to do is sit there again trying to be inspired to be creative. Coming from both an MPC Live and MC-707, I actually prefer the Digitakt’s workflow to both of these - it instantly brings a smile to your face and is so quick and easy to get things going. The MPC has a huge array of features and almost no limitations but never really liked the ‘programs’ workflow and I don’t think I ever actually finished a track - there were just too many options to explore. The MC-707 feels almost toy like beside the Digitakt, again loaded with features but lacking in any sort of instant creativity or a workflow that doesn’t involve diving into menus. I love the Digitakts limitations, if you can call them that, I love the sound, the ease of use and the creativity. It feels like i’m using a real musical instrument rather just programing a lifeless plastic box. Hopefully this helps someone considering getting into the Elektron world.

26 Likes

Welcome, it’s a slippery slope, soon you’ll have to have them all :joy:. Glad you are enjoying the Digitakt. It’s a great first Elektron - flexible enough to make a whole track on, but very immediate and you can’t get lost using it.

I know exactly what you mean about Elektron having the right balance of features and limitations, especially for electronic music. I’m a million times more productive with one than I am on Ableton, even if (or because!) it’s more limited, and it’s so much more fun.

2 Likes

Yeah can definitely see me adding more Elektron gear in the future. The Analog Heat immediately springs to mind! :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

I really wanted to like the MC-707 when I heard about it but it ended up not even being attractive to me on paper.

That said, the Digitakt is easily one of the best gear purchases I’ve ever made. I love feeding it little snippets of instruments from other songs and coming with with my “synth sounds” for a track by manipulating those samples.

1 Like

Welcome! And don’t worry, you are never late to the party. The DT is like a fine wine, it only gets better with age. I have had both the MC-707 and MPC Live, so I definitely understand your comparisons there. To me, the DT feels like a focused instrument compared to the 707 or MPC Live. It is limited, but within its limitations are almost endless possibilities. And yes, the build quality lets you know that you are using something special.

Put your coat on the bed and stick around a while, the fondue fountain will be out soon.

2 Likes

Welcome aboard!
Have fun with this instrument, IMO it was really well done, compact and focused, and with a big sound!

3 Likes

Welcome. I also started using hardware with an MPC (1000). That was 6-7 years ago. Then I got an OT in 2015 and didn’t spend much time with the MPC anymore. I subsequently sold both of them (mistake #1). A few months ago, I got an MPC Live 2 (mistake #2). I already hate touchscreens on phones so not sure what made me think I would like the one on the new MPC. I admit, the battery life is great and the speakers actually sound good but like you said, way too many options. I ended up getting a new OT MK2 and sending the MPC back. So here I am again, an Elektronaut for the third time around and I couldn’t be happier or more inspired creatively. This is the most helpful forum around. Enjoy.

4 Likes

YES. I was going to say this regardless of if you brought it up or not. Glad you did. It’s absolutely something that made me scale down my setup. Makes everything sound fire!

Also the DT sounds sick. Enjoy the new kit!

2 Likes

Welcome to the party. DT is a fine choice to get started with Elektron.

1 Like

Welcome and enjoy! Do you have other synth in your workflow?

1 Like

Don’t start a fire you can’t extinguish!
:fire:

@Mattawa let us hear what you come up with when you’re ready!

5 Likes

Thanks all for the welcome! :raised_hands:t3:

No others synths yet - but definitely want to add to the workflow in the future

I’ll take this opportunity to get in there before everyone else. Digitone is great with Digitakt :wink:

Welcome to the forum too :blush:

6 Likes

Welcome. Digitakt is amazing my favourite thing. Sounds immense. Save up because soon you’ll add the Digitone and then the Octatrack and then it all goes to shit and you’re buried in cables and sample packs.

6 Likes

I got the Digitakt in December. Took delivery of a Digitone this morning (which for work reasons I don’t even know when I’m gonna get to plug it in). I see an Octatrack in my future. It’s a slippery slope indeed but a lot of fun.

2 Likes