New Elektron Rytm MK2 or modular drums?

The two endorphins modules for drums seems pretty cool. Each of them is a complete drum machine. You still need a sequencer but could be cool and not as expensive as a module for every drum voice

2 Likes

Well, I couldnā€™t agree more with Psedoluxā€™s statementā€¦
That being said, BIA + Voltage Block is already a classic combo regarding modular drums (& VB can " kinda store presets") if you add MI Grids or another Euclidean rythm module youā€™d get an amazing drum voice for less bucks. Sample throught OT and itā€™s instant years of techno experiments.

This is not gonna help but personnaly I have snobbed my Rytm mkI for years doing almost all my drums with VCOs, BIA etcā€¦ I rediscovered it during the lockdown since it was the only Machine I had. I must say itā€™s a difficult one to truly master, sure it sounds cool within the twist of a few knobs but to make it sound like your own, you have to commit to it. Once you do, thereā€™s nothing quite like it and really, itā€™s a beast. The best drum machine ever designed IMHO.

2 Likes

miRack or VCVRack may be of assistance here, as far as learning what is possible with modular drums, for very little cost compared to physical Eurorack.

.What interests me about modular drums is the beat generation aspect, more than digging into the weeds of drum sound synthesis. The Marbles module plus maybe 3 drum modules is more than enough for me.

Here Dean presents a number of interesting ideas for (virtual) Eurorack drum pattern generation. He seems to rely more on Branches modules than Marbles here, but Marbles is sort of a couple of Branches in one module.

1 Like

The ā€˜redā€™ mode of Marbles is also a bit like a mini Grids. Iā€™ve gotten some good kick/snare patterns from it.

Similar for me, though I donā€™t remember if I had either of the X side buttons set to Red. The X side outs are enough for some nice drum patterns.

I have the luxury of both, but just a small modular side car that adds other elements of percussion/drumsā€¦

The modular is infinitely fun but 90% of the time musically unusable, where the ARmkii is infinitely fun but 80% of the time musically usable and totally recallableā€¦itā€™s 100% less frustratingā€¦

I have a dinkys taiko, DFAM and Braids all being mangled through various fx and scattered logic, only about 200 HP, Sequenced by a Beat Step Pro and Automated with my DT sending MIDI to a FH1ā€¦i can loose a day noodlingā€¦butā€¦do i not think for one second it sounds better or more capable than an ARmkii.

Especially considering, if there is something I find exceptional in modular experiments, I can just sample it into the ARmkiiā€¦

This is my small drum rig, it cost more than a ARmkii and doesnā€™t come close to itā€™s capabilitiesā€¦

2 Likes

I have a BIA and Varigate 4+ and Malekko Quad Envelop and they are fun!

1 Like

Totally agree which is why I would get the AR MK2 over 10k in modular drums.

1 Like

I would use Erica Synths Techno System and Rytm MKII if I could get both !

2 Likes

same here! I have the Erica Synths Black Polivoks filter which is amazing. Same with the Make Noise Shared System. I think that having these two modular systems would be the ultimate in techno modular setup with all that one needs. Now that would be close to 10k for what the under 2k Elektron Ar MK2 can achieve. I love using just a small modular for sound exploration anyways.

1 Like

Yeah Iā€™ve considered the shared system and techno system as a perfect setup too lol ! Keep an eye on Erica synths they are coming out with something new soon shhh :shushing_face:

1 Like

after my second rack is full, I will get a Rytm MK2 and save for Erica Synths Techno system and Make Noise Shared system. No rush as I am not buying new modules for quite a while. Been busy learning Bionic Lester, Quadrax and Kermit those are deep powerful modules.

1 Like

Quadrax is a fantastic module. Iā€™m finding it much more intuitive (and useful) than the Stages module I was using before.

1 Like

indeed and Quadrax is super capable can be envelopes of various flavors and combos and LFOs as well. I think that it along with Kermit are super modulation powerhouses well Iā€™ve heard that Xaoc Devices Zadar and Rossum Electronics Control Forge do quite a bit as well.

How about A4mk1 + DFAM

1 Like

Well if I was getting starting over in modular, the DFAM+ M32 combo in a small case would be perfect with the A4 to cover it all in a compact package. I tried the M32 and DFAM out a few years ago and they were fun and immediate and super easy to use. Now that I have an A4+OT and two modular racks of gear, probably no valid reason for an M32 and DFAM since my two Elektrons and BIA cover the bass and drums well enough. Really enjoying the Noise Engineering modules and Kermit with Bionic Lester combo and Richter Anti-Oscillator/Dual Borg filter combo. Gets me techno plus fun horror/sci fi soundscapes.

Total Overkill! :grinning: just the rytm and your existing Eurorack will be more than enough, imo

You can sample it directly with the ryrtm and have so many possibilitiesā€¦

1 Like

I was going to write that while the AR can do easily modularesque drum sounds (get your sines by pinging the filter) it canā€™t easily sequence as interestingly as modular.

But with the trig probability update thatā€™s now almost a moot point.

1 Like

Perhaps mentioned already but personally Iā€™d go for a second hand Rytm. Whilst a modular setup obviously would offer a range of unavailable sounds and functions itā€™d be, as you mention, costly. And if youā€™re unhappy with the rytm itā€™ll probably be far easier to get rid of than a bulk of modules. Personally Iā€™ve tried both and wasnā€™t fulfilled with either. Perhaps a hybrid could be the answer, if there is one that is? :slight_smile:

Youā€™ll get 100x more value out of the Rhythm rather than creating a modular rail just for drums.

1 Like