New Elektron Box 2016

It is interesting that they have hurriedly done away with MD and Mnm so recently; is that an indication that they are going to do a new version of either? … can’t think they’d chew on the RYTM’s parade though at this time, so the Mnm is the target if they are really introducing a full new box.

Still think it is a ‘studio’ ‘gadget’ though and not a traditional elektron 340 x 178 x 61 mm box.

Would I buy an elektron H4N that would appear as an overbridge vst alongside my existing windows asio card?

ONLY if it has some clever extras.

Looper pedal buttons, a proper multi-track pick-up machine set up, 4 - 6 tracks input, some FX treatment & pre’s and audio mix/time sync/program change via stompbutton to connected overbridge boxes via USB would be a step in the right direction. Is that what they mean by ‘studio’?

Overhub remains suspiciously out of stock !!!

The reason I held on to the Octatrack for so long was also the reason I eventually sold it.

For me, the Octatrack was a one stop solution for producing full tracks with any kind of material that I could get my hands on - my own, or others. I could just pour it into the Octatrack and build a track with it, like you would in a DAW (which I don’t use), only oriented much more towards a looper.

It’s not hard to build a track within the Octatrack. But it’s not entirely easy either, because you need to adhere to structures within the instrument that sometimes makes total sense, sometimes not, depending on what you want to do.

And whenever you wanted to build longer linear stuff, it just got trickier. Which is fine. The Octatrack never gives the impression that it’s designed for that. But given that you don’t have to bend its circuits to get there, just scratch them sideways a little, it’s an easy reach.

What I felt was that this is as close to a DAW in a hardware box that I could come, today. Earlier attempts from primarily Roland were interesting, but ultimately just beasts of burden compared to proper DAWs.

But I also felt that it shouldn’t be this hard to just want to record stuff, shift it around some, try out a few ideas and see what happens, if you want to break from the structure of the Octatrack. There is a grid there, there is an idea of a pattern being 64 steps, there are ways to go outside this, but still - there’s a basic paradigm that you need to understand, master and then learn how to break.

But traditionally, music doesn’t work like that. Even an improvised jam from Miles Davis or Dataline, is still a completely linear piece. It begins somewhere and ends somewhere else. The functional idea of putting stuff together in loops and patterns is a practical solution to build music that’s based on recycling and repeating, with variations and drops and transitions. But it’s still an engineered solution. The equivalent in classical music is the Reprise marker in sheet music, the structural requirement that a sonata should always repeat its sections twice, that a theme is presented in the beginning and the elaborated on in the final section. And so on.

I’d really like to see a hardware piece that just lets me work with music, like I can work with it when I write sheet music. To pour stuff into it, to let me move it around freely, to build the puzzle - but then add the Elektron magic to it, that which far supersedes traditional composing and even the workflow of a DAW.

Just picture Mozart by his piano as he’s working late hours, scribbling away, lights still burning - and put Elektron’s new recording device there, right next to him, within reach. Engineer his pen into a modern hardware instrument.

4 Likes

Look at it this way - Elektron has gathered hardware technology that amounts to deep knowledge within sampling, proper analog circuitry and sequencing - streaming high amounts of data was the last part.

Let’s say you don’t want to R&D the tech behind a new unit, but just put your collected knowledge to use into something new that blends all you’ve learned, all the mistakes you’ve made and the success you’ve had, into something new.

It’d be the sound from the Rytm, the recording and audio streaming from the Octatrack, the circuitry from the Analog Four, and the Elektron sequencer to glue it all together - into a recording device that records and transmits stems on multiple channels through USB.

2 Likes

I don’t know what it is, but feature request. Midi clock master with option to sync bpm to incoming signal. <3

1 Like

I think you are getting close with this… @andreasroman

I hope so. Cause I’d buy that in an instant. And so would most of my friends.

Yep! As would I! Even if this next product is not this… I am sure the Elektron folks are watching this thread very closely indeed and there has been a real desire for that the type of unit in this thread. I imagine the ideas from here will be on a whiteboard somewhere even if not in the next product!

I agree. Given that all kinds of musicians from all kinds of directions seem to want this, it’s a nice blend of Elektron’s modern skills with music at its core. Doesn’t matter where you come from, you’ll benefit from this no matter.

My wife plays the violin and has zero interest in electronic music. But when I described to her what I think this might be, and she saw the Elektron movie with that in mind, she said she’d buy that in a heartbeat. She’s tried mobile records, daws and whatnot and for her as a classic musician, they just don’t work.

Essentially, bring the porta studio back, but Elektron style.

A friend of mine thinks it will be an FX box / looper / recorder that anyone could use, particularly those interested in being a one-person band.

And this makes sense. Synths are niche. A box that can work with any instrument will expand their footprint in the industry.

Exciting times we live in.

6 Likes

Something like the Roland HS-5 and Boss RC-505 with Overbridge/equivalent and onboard HD recording.
Analogue pre, filter bank, distortion, compressor/limiter with multiFX/stack/amp modelling on all channels.
Something that can be clean (as a pufferfish) or downright greasy filth.
Elektron Dirt Box

Rack or pedal.

3 Likes

ok, so its no synth (analog four fills that gap), no groove box (thats the rytm) and no sampler/mixer (thats the octatrack). hints go for mobile ( the car), distortion fx (the guitar) and human sounds (the body drums).

so here are my 2 cents: It will be some sort of mobile multitrack recorder with built in mics, sample editing, sequencer and fx. so you can capture sounds on the go, alienate them with fx, cut and edit them, so you can easyly inject them as new samples for the rytm and octatrack. pricepoint around 1k, because it will be really good quality ( no toy). it will have something special so it doesnt compete with a smartphone. and itll be usable in the studio as well.

we will see

1 Like

I’ll vote on it being an audio interface with effects, MIDI and MIDI sequencer ALL CLOCKED TO PERFECTION AND SPAT THROUGH OVERBRIDGE hurrdurrrr. Srsly. It’ll be a mixer like that.

A “performance” audio interface would be neat too…

Am I the only one whose mind is boggled by 2/3 of these posts that read like “Well obviously it’s not an Octatrack MkII, it’ll be a mixer/sampler/sequencer with FX”?

Not trying to be snide, but let’s be honest here!

5 Likes

That’s probably because those members have never actually used an Octatrack

Welp, most people have had their guess, now…its a waiting game. Really looking forward to the news!

Maybe it’s what people want the Octatrack to be for the studio. Like, stripped of its performance capabilities, and replaced with recording features that haven’t even been dreamt up yet.

I don’t know why I’m cautious of the new item. As a person who works with “real” instruments and only records, Elektron seem to be going out of their way to make their new item fine tuned for what I need

Thanks Elektron <3

Are we there yet?

1 Like

My guess would be multichannel Audio Interface with analog filters and onboard fx and lfo’s with overbridge support and ofcourse the elektron sequencer.