New computer ... but don't want to reinstall OS ?!

OK … here is the question:

I’m going to sell my old computer except the HDD with Win10 (originally upgraded from Win8Pro to 10). I have a lot of data and software on this harddrive so i don’t want to reinstall everything new… of course the new drive will be a SSD

so what can i do? is it possible to make an image with everything and port it on a new SSD and use it without any problems on a new system?

please advise me

thank you

Not usually . All drivers / bios etc will be different on a new machine. Unless the new machine is identical to the old one you’re likely to have to install os

2 Likes

chances are your existing installation may work in new hardware configuration (regarding the disk controller is the same architecture). but in better case scenario, if windows starts and you don’t see BSOD —

1. you will have to reactivate windows
  2. you will have to install all new hardware drivers (and you’re lucky if none of them will conflict with old drivers)
  3. you may have to reactivate some software licenses (because they may depend of harware configuration).
2 Likes

thank you guys

this is not good news, well i think i have to go the hard way

Just keep the SSD and install it in the new computer, then upgrade all the new system specific drivers.

So in this case I have to make an image … Sounds better