[li]XLR, 1/4" & 3.5mm Inputs[/li]
[li]USB audio/MIDI interface[/li]
[li]Over 20 FX, 8 Available Simultaneously[/li]
[li]64 Phrase Memories in 8 Banks[/li]
[li]USB/MIDI Interface with Most DAWs[/li]
[li]17x On-Board Rhythm Patterns[/li]
[li]Optional Footswitch & Expression Control[/li]
[/ul]

I love my Pigtronix Infinity, but all these FX are tempting!

Foot print is larger than the Pigtronix, and my case is already rather full. Hmmm…

I was excited when I got an email from Roland with this news. I was wishing for a smaller version of the RC505… I was hoping for a RC303 (with 3 loops) but I think I still will want this one. I’ve got an TC Ditto x4. I love it, but I dont like the switches on it (I push them by hand and they got a noisy click)…

delivery in may I guess?

May is my guess too.
Say, on the Ditto X4, do the record and play commands quantize to the bar?
In other words, if you hit the record switch mid way through measure, does it wait until the next measure starts to begin recording? This is how the Pigtronix operates, and I could never get this information out of TC or their documentation. Thanks.

No I don’t think so… You can set a parameter switch (on the back) so that the second loop follows the length of the first loop and record at the beginning of the loop. But I don’t think it will do that halfway (quantized) Never checked it… I will do a test tomorrow with a drumloop for you and I will get back…

1 Like

I would greatly appreciate it!

1 Like

Allright, I did some tests slaved on midi… Used the A4 with a drumloop. It starts and stops quantized. But I don’t think you can set the measure of the quantization (say next bar). When you punch in it begins at the first note. Say you punch in halfway 1 bar, like on the 5th step (of 16 steps bar), it begins recording on the 6th step (depends on your timingskills of course).

The second loop you can set some parameters (you can find that in the manual I guess). You can set it to be exact the same length as the first or punch in/out (independent length) but is also the same as the first loop for quantization.

Is that the answer of your question? Or do I have to do more tests for you…

Correct me if I’m wrong but from my memory with the rc505 you can set the quantization for starting the loop (never used it)… Hope thats also for the 202. Then that would be a killer feature… That would be awesome if you’re playing the keys and looping at the same time.

1 Like

That is! Thanks!

1 Like

I would greatly appreciate it![/quote]
Heyo YloopZ
I saw this unit and was excited by the promise of more hands-on control.
I’m interested in the RC202 for a few specific features to replace my PigTronix Infinity.
[ul]
[li]syncing loop lengths to MIDI clock (did you confirm this ?[/li]
[li]performing record/dub/replace stop operations in time to midi clock.[/li]
[li]creating new loops of arbitrary lengths. Did you find that you could create loops in disconnected lengths ? (such as Loop1 at 5 quarter-notes, and Loop2 at 7 sixteenth notes…[/li]
[li]I can you route (pan) the two loops to separate audio outputs…using PAN among the Track Settings ?[/li]
[/ul]

By the way; how do you have access to test the RC202 already ?

cheers in advance !

and those of you with the rc505 that will get the V2 firmware in May so it will have the rc202 new features.

I think I’m keen on this…

Had a go on a friends 505; and had some fun… the 202 would be good from a size point of view, whilst obviosuly sacrificing three channels…

Think I’ll grab one or the other at some point this year.

I bought the RC-202 this week, and here are my impressions from the first week of poking around. I actually sold my Pigtronix Initity (which I was using with my hands, tabletop) to purchase/explore this 202 as complement to the Octatrack, for quick and dirty loop/one-shot work, without ALWAYS having to plan ahead, set up machines, and and menu-dive with the OT’s “looper-ing” with Pickup- or Flex-machine tracks.

Specifically, I was interested in loops whose length was defined directly (press record, press play), without having to work through the step-sequencer. Here are some of my key first impressions of the 202, in and outside of that particular interest.

• The table-top controls are well scaled with a great feel. The buttons for Play, stop, Track and Effect/Memory are big and responsive (highly preferable to hand-pushing stomp-switches on the Infinity). You can also assign up 2 foot-switches (or one Expression pedal) and 4 MIDI CCs for external control.

• The User Interfacing has some advantages and disadvantages over the RC505: While the 202 loses the per-track volume fader and text-filled LCD screen, the 202 has very clever color coding_ of Track Buttons and Memory (1~8) buttons to serve as a (glaring) reminder of context and action, instead of menu diving, which proves to be faster, and doesn’t require you keep the screen in front of you.

• Each of the 64-Loops (2 tracks each) is organized into the 8 Memory Banks of 8 Loops. I found the RC202’s color-button scheme easier to use than the 505; the buttons not only (colorfully) show you which slots have loops stored, but also jump seamlessly, AND let you copy/save the present-playing loops into multiple OTHER slots at once, all without stoppage. This lets you permute freely and intuitively. Just be careful not to tax the processor with effects or Undo’s while Saving, or the 3-digit LCD will say “EGO” (…“Error 90” for “CPU overload”). Thankfully, no amount of EGO-overload made the loops stop dead.

• The 202 was not able to do sample-accurate loop sync as MIDI slave… it was un-usably losing sync within a few bars, and trying to thin out MIDI reception (Omni turned off, Auto-modes off) did not help. Perhaps it’s from unstable clock from the 20-year old Sirius groove-synth used to test…

• The 202 fared MUCH better with sync as MIDI Master. I’m happy to use 202 as clock master, given the dedicated Tap button blinks red on the bar and green on the beats (again, better than having to look into a screen).

• The Unit has direct (and color coded) buttons for each Loop’s Reverse playback direction, Loop / OneShot state, and one layer of Undo / Redo. This makes it easy to change how loops are used once they’re recorded. Same goes for toggling the Record mode into Replace, so you can insert/delete loops as you go. Embrace the destructive editing !

• There is no Start Mode parameter: If both are stopped, you can start one Track at any time. Once one in playing, the 2nd Track has already started to stays aligned, so pushing Play does not (re)start that 2nd track, but un-mutes it. Thus, the 202’s Tracks do not have the the ability to be (re)start at arbitrary alignments from each other. It would be nice to have some Start Mode options beyond this.

• the unit’s Rhythm Guide is very handy, as it not only gives an audible tempo to cue up, but also determines if and how loop operations will be quantized. The Guide’s sounds are fine, but there are not enough Time Signature options. Specifically, while does have 2/4 thru 4/4 and 5/8 thru 15/8 (just like the RC505, and the foot-pedal RC50)… it would be REALLY nice to have one-Beat-per-Bar options like 1/4 and 1/8, or even stuff down to the 16th note, because of how these Bar-Length settings of the guide affect Loop Quantization… Such arbitrary granularity would allow the 202 to keep up with the OT, or even the 10+ year old Gibson EDP looper.

The unit will always Quantize your loops to/for tempo sync different ways, depending on how it’s set up.

• There is no “Free” loop mode for out-of-sync ambient work (such as on the RC pedals).
  • there is no “Loop Length” option; where previous RCs could let you pre-determine the length in Bars (at tempo) or by the length of the first loop, the RC202 will ONLY record a second loop that is a power of 2 (…1/4, 1/2, 1x, 2x, 4x, etc) multiple of the first loop. It will either delay recording start of, or delay end-record/start-play of, your other loop so that it’s always in base-2 sync with the first-recorded loop. Thus, you cannot make short-loops into polyrhythms.

Beyond this set of the 202’s options (or lack thereof) being more restrictive than the 505 et al, there are a few desirable settings/combinations that are not available within the 202’s own configurable settings, specifically, the Quantization and Rhythm Guide. This is my biggest frustration so far, because I want to record loops of arbitrary beat-lengths (such as 7 quarter-notes, or perhaps 5 eighth-notes, etc) determined directly by the timing of punching IN/OUT a new recording, with recording (and related operations) quantized to the Beat…

Quantization and the Clock (at present) interact thusly:

• with the Rhythm Guide ON, you can only start Recording at the Bar (not on the beat) so you not only have to wait for your bar to come around, you have to decide ahead of time what time signature you’re working in. The Rhythm Guide ON will also hold the BPM as clock Master if Sync is set to Auto-detect master/slave.
  • with the Rhythm Guide OFF, your loop length is not quantized, but when 202 is MIDI Clock Master, it will automatically calculate a new BPM from the Guide’s Meter (Bar length) and broadcast this. Thus, the unit preemptively assumes/limits you to certain meters.

For me, the limits of the above 2 points could be solved if they simply expanded the Quantize options to include the time-signatures of 1/4, 1/8, and 1/16 time. This way, I don’t have to wait for the (Guide’s) Bar to finish, as my Bar and Beat are the same period of time.

Quantize settings are stored on the System (global) level, where the Rhythm (and thus Bar/Meter) settings are stored at the Bank (of 8 phrases) level. There are some handy features to require a (1 Bar) count-in before recording and/or playback, stored on a per-bank level, so you can start different “songs” differently.

Thankfully, the 202 allows you to configure the headphones mix differently from the Main outs, so you can isolate the Rhythm Guide to the headphones only. You can also put the Input sound in headphones only, so it does not pass thru to outputs, which is the dry kill necessary when I use it in an aux loop.

As of this posting, there were only two other snags that frustrated me (beyond the Loop Size / Quantize rant above).

• While I could get the unit to store my Bank settings (Rhythm, FX, Loop Content), the unit only saves System settings (quantize, Clock Master, etc) if you power off using the unit’s switch (and power-down sequence)…so be carful with making edits if you have this switched on/off by a studio strip.

• while the unit has a hardware Input Trim for the XLR mic setting, and the Main and Phones output are set by editing System menus (but not saved!), there is no hardware or software Trim for the Line Inputs, so it can confound your gain structure.

Overall, the RC202 shows some interesting advancements toward a more quick interface and expressive processing. I REALLY hope Roland address all of the above settings and freedom-of-loop-timing issues with a follow up software update.
This is a LOT of power in a small package with a great interface, and I hope it’s years ahead bring growth instead of obsolescence.

16 Likes

I bought a RC-202 last week because the midi control. I play guitar and I’ve got a midi foot controller that I’ve programmed to send control changes 80, 81, 82 and 83. I’ve set the RC-202 at SETUP-CTRL to target a track when I send CC80, for example, and to record/play when I send CC81. The problem is that the rc-202 only responds to CC80 (with a value 127, for example) if I’ve sent a CC80 with a value 0, before. The same for CC81: you must press CC81 (value 0) and CC81 (value 127). But this means press twice the foot controller. Useless for looping! Any suggestions?
Thank you.
(I’m a new member in this comunity. Thank you for the adding and for the help)

Do you have a footswitch you could try connecting to the looper straight?

Yes, with the FS-6 works perfect, but you only have two controls (for target track, and for record/play, for example).
My midi foot controller has 4 controls (for target, record/play, undo, clear, for example). Yesterday I configured my midi pedalboard to send two commands with one click: CC80 with value 0 and CC80 with value 127. It works, but the time is not accurate and you can’t loop well. Is anyone using this successfully?

It sounds as if your foot controller is set to TOGGLE that footswitch.
If there is any option for the FootController’s button to be set to MOMENTARY action, then it will send CC@127 when stepping on, and then CC@000 when stepping off, giving you “action” at every switch.
Guess it’s the cost of doing business with the looper with such limited UI / brains for MIDI.

…another thing I found was disappointing was that there is NO MIDI control for many of the features (which you CAN control with your hands) that make this such a fun looper…

• Forward / Reverse play
  • OverDub / Replace
  • saving loop slots and/or banks before changing loop
  • switching between One-shot and Loop

I really DO NOT understand why Roland have started limiting MIDI control of their loopers to a key-hole of assignable (confusing) CC-intermediaries, rather than just giving us a proper, direct CC map. This would make it no only simpler to operate, but make it easier to grow WITH their units…make me WANT to go from two mechanical foot-witches to buying their FC-300…

Then again, not ALL front-panel actions of the OT’s Flex or PickUp machines has MIDI control.
I’m looking at you PickUp Replace !

1 Like

does anyone know if the rc202 is compatible with the MX-1 USB aira link? Can’t find it anywhere. My fear is “no”… I want to buy the rc-202 looper for, well just for looping but as I have an MX-1 is it compatible via USB?

Nope,

Totally different product range, that is visually tied to the JDXA, JDXI, their look and build is identical.

Man, Roland can frustrate. I sold my 202 for a 505 and ended up feeling stifled by the 505, which took me out of “Loop compose” headspace and put me into a “Multitrack” headspace, the audio quality of either isn’t going to win any awards so I certainly wasn’t going to multitrack with the 505
and I found it gathering dust on the shelf.

Of the two, I found the 202 with all it’s wants to be an extremely useful songwriting tool, to the point where it was the first thing I reached for when an Idea struck and kept a mic plugged in at all times.

Now, I’m thinking I should buy another one, but I would like to ask: Is it worth delving into my Octatrack’s looper functionality? I never bothered learning these aspects as it seemed that I would be locked into a certain time length, that’s unacceptable to me, as I may write a chorus of over 64 steps or 16 seconds, and can’t have arbitrary lengths imposed on me.

The Octa is also gathering dust and might find it’s self on the block, but if It can deliver in this department, it would be fantastic, this has been the story of my life with Octa, learn how to do something then slam into a manufacturer imposed wall, workarounds that are overly elaborate won’t do either. (and maybe the fact that the other poster was going to buy a 202 to use as a looper with his Octa tells me all I need to know about Octa’s supposed “Looper” but I’d love to be wrong.

I’ll be taking the plunge in any way to learn this stuff for my self, but if anyone who already knows cares to let me know what I can expect to find, I’d appreciate

Thanks

I got another 202…yep, it’s awesome

2 Likes

The 202 is definitely the most intuitive and fun looper I have ever played with. I love mine. I keep thinking of selling it to focus on my OT pickup machines, but its just the perfect combination of size, power, flexibility and fun. FX could be better and the sound is a hair crunchy in a slightly unpleasant way, but dem features make up for it

2 Likes

After trying the RC-1 for my first looper encounters, Then tried the Ditto x2, an finally returned the Ditto x2 and got the RC-202. Its by far the most intuitive of any looper in its price range. Also can be used as a MIDI interface & Audio Interface.

Only regret is its recording quality, CD Quality. Come on Roland, its 2018… but at the end his recording quality is acceptable, similar or equal to other brands in its price range. Very satisfied.

3 Likes