New Ableton M4L Device Cooking...MIDICLOCK w/o Latency!

Here you go…a little Preview what’s around the corner.
Tell me what you think.

Cheers, Nik

Forgive me about the shitty Sound demo…just a quick feature Demo:

and v1.35

…Analog Rytm, Sh-01a, TT-303, Tr-09 in here…and a lot Step-Shifting and retriggering while playing…

6 Likes

Insta buy for me. Great using with UAD. Thanks!

1 Like

Clever !!

1 Like

So if I understand correctly, your clock will compensate for the track latency, I guess by sending out the clock pulses ahead of time so that the device “feels” in sync even though it is playing earlier than it should? That’s a clever way to approach it if so.

Does this also help with clock stability at all? I found that the clock from Ableton leads to a detectable amount of jitter e.g. on a drum machine with 1/16th hi hats (this is well documented around the internet and the blame is usually laid at modern operating systems/audio interfaces for not having a way to accurately schedule MIDI messages) - I’ve been using Overbridge to make my Digitakt the clock master instead as I described in another thread (Overbridge makes a great MIDI clock source) but would be interesting if you’ve solved/improved this somehow!

1 Like

Nice:)

1 Like

When will this be available?

1 Like

“I guess by sending out the clock pulses ahead of time so that the device “feels” in sync even though it is playing earlier than it should?”
That’s why it’s starting 1 Bar later…but then you can do 1 to 4 Bars…so when you have a 2 Bar Loop in your Machine it will be not 1 Bar Off when you choose 2 Bars.

Timetravelling is not yet there ;).
Well clock stability is whole crazy story… even if you have a stable clock at all, but your machine has a laziness to interpret, then there is nothing you can do about. Also I think that complete TightClocks would be too robotic and somehow I don’t like how that feels. But that is just my own opinion. On the other Hand its nearly impossible when you do the Math. there will always rounding errors since Midi Ticks Scheduled in a Grid against Samplerate …how would you do that?
Calculate as an example 1/4th Note with 126 bpm at 48000khz…so you end up with a rounding of 476ms and 22857 samples…in fact its 22857.142857142857143 samples. Multiply by 4 to a Bar
is 91428 against 91428.571428571428571…multiplied by 4 is 365712 against 365714.285714285714286…and that’s just 16 Bars …so how do you handle the sampledrops?

Anyway I feel it sounds quite nice an has that little 808ish …it’s quite thin in what’s under the hood…I like to keep it that way, or optimize it a bit more…since to many background activities need more and more attention in scheduling then. And I don’t want to go too much into sience.
For me it should be musical in any way.

I’m not quite sure when it will be released. I have so many ideas and do it all in my spare time.
But it should’t be far. You can always improve things later. :wink:

It’s was just an idea in the first place.

3 Likes

Nice, thanks for the detailed explanation. Super cool idea :smiley:

1 Like

Hi mr. switchbox ! Any news about your M4L device ? I have a curious problem and you might me able to shed some light and insight. Live can not shift internal midi notes when clocked from an external source, using the delay function. Will your device be able to do this shifting? Thanks !

looking forward to trying this out

hi there, can you give me an example? dunno if I understand you quite right. you mean the track delay while live is synced externaly?

Yes, that is what I mean. Live ignores all track delay parameters when synced from an external source.

Clock has an UPDATE !

…have a look. https://youtu.be/lGUifDYLvzU

and here https://gum.co/qjpEU

1 Like

Hi,

I believe that I am searching for a solution to a similar problem. I am currently clocking Ableton externally from my TR8 which deactivates “track delay” in Ableton. I am then using a sequencer from Ableton to my modular synth, which is falling behind the beat from the latency. I can alter the midi clock sent from Ableton to the modular but this only affects the clocking of my percussion elements but doesn’t change the MIDI note info going to the synth voice. I need something to change the clock Ableton is running for the sequencer to nudge it forward (like with a negative track delay) so I can send the midi on time.

I hope this reaches you, cheers.