Need some tips on uniform sample volumes

I started sampling some variations of a beat I made the other day so that I could mix it down if you will and add more sounds to it. I came back to it another day and recorded a few more variations of the same beat but to my dismay when i switched between the two samples the volumes were drastically different. I soon realized the master volume was changed to a different value hence when the sample was recorded it was not as loud. I can’t seem to find where there is a master level indicator or a number value so I may determine the volume I would like to record all of my samples at so they are uniform. Maybe I just missed something. If you can understand what my problem is here and what I am trying to achieve please help me out. This is so frustrating. Thanks.

Function+lfo? Similar issues here. I thought i could copy and paste function+lfo page on different patterns but it doesn’t work.

Depending how you are set up there are a few things you can do. If you aren’t already put a mixer in the chain and output that to the digi rather than plugging instruments directly in to the Digi. Pay attention to the master output of your mixer. Makes sure you are properly gain staging your mix.

I realized that my problem was entirely unrelated to the Master Volume… I don’t think the Master Volume level has any relation to the internal samples being recorded on the Digitakt.

Here is my issue now. I have Tracks 1-4 loaded with different types of BD samples. Each one of the 4 builds on the other so sometimes I play all of them together other times I mute one or two of them while breaking the mix down ect. So to free up some space to add more samples what I did was recorded the variations of my BDs. Starting with recording 1 and 2 together then 123 then 1234. Next 1 and 3 then 1 and 4 then 234 together … You get the point. I name them in order so BD_01, BD__02 just for reference so that way I can cycle through them during the mix.

I hope I didn’t lose you already. So here is where my issue comes in. So I recorded all of my variations and I crated a new Pattern on the same bank. I loaded up the first track of the new Pattern with sample BD_02 which consists of two of the BDs together. the one from Track 2 and Track 4. So now when I have Track 2 and 4 soloed on the original Pattern its fine but then when I switch to the next Pattern playing the new sample BD_02 which is the same samples from 2 and 4 together the volume is reduced like by 15. If I recorded three BDs together for instance 1.2 and 4 from the original and called it BD_05 and played that in comparison to the original tracks 1,2 and 4 soloed the volume is like reduced by 25 now. Its frustrating because if I want to play samples BD_02 then load BD_05 I have to worry about adjusting the volume on the track quickly to compensate… Its not all uniform while recording… The more Tracks involved in the recording it seems the more drowned out and lower the volumes of each element become! I read something about Digitakt normalizing while it records… perhaps this is the problem and cannot be avoided unless this feature can be manually deactivated which I don’t think it can. Can anyone verify why this might be the case while I am recording multiple sounds together the volumes change from the original samples as they play together.

The usual suspects are:

1. One of the samples (out of let’s say 3) that you are resampling into one has a transient that makes the normalization do a shit job and you’re loosing dynamic range.

2. Phase cancellation.

3. A combination of 1 and 2.

Well, this isn’t the first time I have had this issue… Actually I think its always done this. Its prevented me from moving forward with producing sets in that format. Too bad they don’t have a setting to turn off normalization.

I’m not sure being able to turn of normalization would help because then you would en up with samples that clipped and that’s worse then lowered dynamic range IMHO.

When resampling on the Digitakt the compressor could help you to some extent get rid of some transients but it’s not designed to work as a brick limiter so I guess the results would be hard to predict.

If I was you I would use the transfer app and copy all the samples involved over to a computer and take a look at them in a proper audio editor. That might get you closer to what is actually going on when you are resampling.

1 Like