Need some advice on mixing

You have called me “master” … :ghost: ? … :wink:

As already said, the FX on this machine is quite unconventional. Would you mind to explain to me, what you exactly want to do?

One solution could be that you apply a FX on one track, re-record this track with the FX and then apply another FX to another track and re-record this as well.

The Tascam is not as well equipped like one of the digital mixing desks, which have a fat-channel and insert FX on each track.

What if the tracks are already recroded? In theory could I bounce one track with affects applied… and so on?

For example track 1 has bass drum recorded, I want to apply compression… then lets reverb on track three that has the snare… as soon as I apply effects on track 3, the compression on track 1 is turned off… I fiddle with the reverb settings on track three, then go back to track 1 to turn on compression, the reverb on track 3 is no longer in efffect…

That’s what I tried to say … the FX on this machine is … weird :wink:

Don’t get me wrong, but I strongly recommend to read section 9, “Internal Effects”, in the manual to understand the limitations. As an example Guitar FX are mono only, or the send FX return their signal to the stereo bus or the bounce bus. There is one internal send FX only … for all tracks combined.

IMO the DP32 is supposed to be a musical sketch-book or to produce demos rather to be a mixing desk to finalize recorded material. I assume there might be much bouncing required, until the recorded raw material is shaped with FX.

This said, that’s why I use the DP32 as a sketch-book only. Ready to go in a second, quick to be set-up to record raw material, some edit functions and FX to make a nice demo and a final demo-master. That’s it. If my recordings are good enough for more, I export them to my DAW.

I remember doing all this.

One mistake was to solo all the tracks and work on them again. I think that threw the whole mix. It can and does sound completely different when all the tracks are in the mix. There’s some things that you need to do to the instruments in the mix that you wouldn’t do if they were soloed. I’d start as a point of why the mix didn’t work out and change the approach next time.

1 Like

Absolutely … AFAIK it’s a well known rule of thumb. A sound can be great, if soloed and horrible in the mix … as well as the other way around. A particular sound may be sitting perfectly in the mix, but if soloed, it seems to suck a lot :wink:

That’s why it’s better to mix all tracks in the mix … using the DP32 this is only possible applying the EQ, because each track has its own.

ill check the manual tonight so bouncing will work to add multiple effects? btw im a dawless recorder… so this unit is what i have… i really dont like computers… so far im happy with the tascam.

i mostly use compression on the unit and thats it

im also not a proffesional musician… and its better than what i had before