Need some advice for Octatrack's MK?

Do you know if the sampling bitdepth also affects the audio inputs when monitored via DIR or a thru machine etc?

I donā€™t know, mines been on 24 bit since I got it, it possibly couldā€¦

Have you considered the new MPC Live? It is a DAW in a portable hardware package and has many if not more features than the Octatrack. Easier learning curve too if you are not used to Elektron workflow.
I know this is an Elektron forum and I love the gear but options exist. Perhaps consider the new Digitakt as well for less money? I myself would look into a Digitakt before Octatrack for 1/2 the cost if it meets your needs.

1 Like

Hmmā€¦ First of all i donā€™t like the look of an mpc (colorsā€¦). I donā€™t want to use pads, so it will be a waste. I donā€™t care about an easy learning curve too. I was considering the digitakt, but 1go of storage, 1 stereo input, that involve that i must bring an mixer and a laptop with me. The octatrack used in mint condition itā€™s like 100euro more. of the digitakt soā€¦ iā€™ve tried the digitakt and i feel it more ā€œdo an beat in no timeā€ but the octatrack it was a different approach of exploring sounds, more long and deep for me, and less ā€œgadgetā€ than the digitakt. Thatā€™s just personal thought.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s how Iā€™ve been feeling about the two as well. I really like the digitakt and have been reading a lot of get one if the other isnā€™t doing it for you. Digitakt is much different than octatrack by every means except the fact that they both can sample. By virtue of the Elektron way, one will do what the other cant do just as all of their previous boxes. Iā€™ve experimented with different ways of having one run into or with the other and have liked every way I can connect them so the problem Iā€™ve had with the digitakt and octatrack is settling on how I should connect them. Together they compliment each other because of the others shortcomings. If possible, and you already have one of these, I recommend saving up to get the other. I know to some it sounds redundant to have both, which I was kind of thinking before I got the digitakt, but having both has opened everything up so much more! While the learning curve for the digitakt initially seems very low, you can make it as steep as you like depending on what you are striving to achieve. A lot of people get scared off by the learning curve of the octatrack but itā€™s really about how much time you put into the machine. If you read the manuals, check out all of the available guides and tips/tricks, this forum, a lot of experimenting, and tons of practice, you will get nearly anything you can imagine with the octatrack or any of Elektronsā€™ machines for that matter. While it may seem frustrating, you need to devote a good bit of time to get good at the Elektron way to master these units. In a different forum I expressed my reasoning for getting the upcoming MK2 units even though once they were announced I got rid of my A4 and am willing to part with my OT. I love what the upgrades bring to the table, I can only suggest that anyone debating on which Elektron machine to get first pick any of them, and only one to start with. Donā€™t get another until you have mastered it. Then add to it and master the next one with your previous, and keep growing. Mk1 or Mk2 versions. While I admit I am no master of any, my mistake was GAS for all of them after I got the Machinedrum. But I do limit myself to only one box at a time. I just wanted to share my thoughts.

Well in that case, the Octatrack is probably right for you. For me, I need more actually hands on time with one to make the leap.
I am not scared of complexity as a computer guy, it cannot be more difficult than the Linux and UNIX programming work I code each day.

Right now, my laptop and Ableton Push do the job but in the future, I would like to have a combo live setup like Octatrack+Elektron Heat+Virus TI2 Polar+Digitakt as my mobile live rig but it
requires a 6k budget that I am not willing to spend at the moment unless I found all this gear used in good condition at the right price.