Need some advice for Octatrack's MK?

Hello Everyone,

For six years i was on ableton. I don’t want to see a big screen when i play anymore. The best choice, to make a transition is to buy an octatrack (to my point of view).

I have 3 choices :

Buy an octatrack MK1 Used (between 800>900 euros in good condition)
Buy an new octatrack MK1 (i saw an offer of 1150euros, who i think it’s maybe worth it to have something more reliable)

Buy an octatrack MK2, which is seems to be SO EXPENSIVE (it’s like the double of an octatrack used), but this machine want to say to me “buy me buy me”, despite she don’t have major improvements, the look, the new screen, buttons, encoders… Man. but 1500 euros for this ?

What do you think ? I know it’s very personal, but i would like your thoughts…

Cheers

(sorry my english)

I just bought a new OT MK1 last week for $1030US at Perfict Circuit Audio (they still have them on sale, too). The MKII is functionally identical to the MK1. As far as I can tell, the MKII has a better screen, and better buttons (supposedly quite a bit better too). That’s about it (I am sure others will correct me), as far as I can tell without going to the product page again. Oh yeah, I got it financed to pay off over 4 months thru them too. That was what sold me on getting a MK1 now as much as anything

for me (and many others) mk1 has big workflow problems
this might be solved (minimized) by mk2
at least less menu diving

Yeah but, if you notice Elektron makes no claims for improved workflow. If there are to be improvements, it’ll be an OS update that literally applies to both the MK1 and MKII. They will run on the same firmware. So, what you gain with the newer one are the better buttons (important to many gigging musicians who have worn the old ones out), and the screen based on the Digitakt’s. Both of which are certainly of value but, finding a price drop on a MK1 right now, is certainly something to consider for the budget minded. There’s that immediate gratification factor too.

i think because of the new hardware
the workflow will be improved
instead of menu diving
the actions are more directly accessible

unfortunately i can only say
that the octatrack is a machine I never enjoyed
weird things (like untailed reverbs)
but also the big amount of knobs I had to press to get things done
and the big chance things go wrong…

(digitakt is very nice)

Thanks for your answers, wouzer, the workflow will be improved but it’s not extremely different, it is just more faster to save projects… W23, what you said is nice. After thinking, i’ think that new buttons, encoders and screen are valuable certainly, but for 400 euros more, meh.

It is not just faster to save a project
The 5 + 3 + 1 buttons above function are new
And open up a lot of direct functionality

It may feel like something small
But it isnt

Friend of mine actually had a go on the MKII a few days ago. Sold his MKI the same day, for workflow reasons only.

Workflow is the only reason the only groove box that survived the early 2000’s is the Electribe. While Yamaha and Roland offered more depth and features, Korg offered flow. Today, the old gen EMX and ESX go for the same price as if they were new, and they’re climbing.

Wait until the MKII is out. It’s less than a month. You can take it. And then you’ll know for sure.

2 Likes

Damn, that’s pretty drastic. Will have to play around on one when it’s released.

1 Like

I picked up my OT pretty recently, around the end of March, for about US $1150 and I don’t feel like I’m missing out on anything by not having the MKII (although I wish I had known I could wait a couple months and saved some money, it was a pretty major purchase for me). At the time used OTs in good shape seemed to go or around $950-$1050 and while I almost always buy used the price difference seemed to be worth it to have less wear on the buttons and encoders and faders in this case, on top of the older machines possibly having more likelihood of the headphone output flaw that seemed to be reported a lot before 2013 but not so often after that.

With the current used MKI prices I might be more tempted to go used, although the price difference between new and used still seems to be about the same. Personally the workflow has been mostly intuitive and quick for me, took a couple weeks to really get to where the basics felt totally automatic, and there are still a ton of tricks that I haven’t learned yet I’m sure, but for me the extra buttons really don’t seem like a big deal - convenient for live performance maybe, but not some kind of game changing improvement. The MKI shortcuts are all pretty intuitive when you get a feel for the overall workflow (cue+tempo for the metronome? Of course, you’re cuing the tempo, makes total sense to me when you think about it in terms of language rather than the other functions of the buttons; and most stuff is clearly labeled on the front panel).

I really can’t see anything about the MKII justifying the difference in cost vs a MKI now, other than the fact that apparently some of the parts are at end of life (including the old infinium fader, which is already out of production) so ten years from now it might be a bit harder to repair a MKI than a MKII. But if that’s a concern, it would still probably cost less to get a MKI and stock up on some replacement parts (maybe a screen, a fader, and a few switches and encoders) than to get a MKII.

Also I like the look of the MKI a lot better, but that’s just personal taste. I find the MKI kind of awkward and ugly from a design perspective, but in a charming, functional way. It kind of has the look of a prototype or an especially polished DIY project, but a lot of that turns out to be because the layout is geared toward ergonomics more than looks - in my experience at least, every button feels like it’s exactly where my hand naturally expects it to be, and it’s really PLAYABLE in a way that more “pretty” designs often aren’t. The new one is still ergonomic, and the visibility is probably better on stage, but something about it looks more like a gaming PC than an instrument to me. That’s purely superficial, though.

1 Like

I thought so too. It made me curious enough, though, to check it out.

Supercolor T-120, thanks for sharing your experience and your advice for the future, you convince me at 90% to buy an MK1 for the moment. She will be accompanied with an Tanzbär and a xoxbox (or bassline3). I’m sure she will be happy of that, and, i’ll be to.

My project at the beginning was to buy an octatrack + bassline + a pair of cdj 350 + mixer. With 2000 bucks. The arrival of the MK2 compromised all… but you put me back on the right way i should say.

Concerning the design, i have a preference for the mk2. But who cares when you throw some good acid… not me.

None of yall think the new improved input section is a hig deal? This, for me, is the biggest reason why I’m considering the upgrade… As well as the SRC3 LEDs

2 Likes

I’m with @tsutek :slight_smile:
Already sold my mk1, to see if I would really miss OT…

2 Likes

Are you thinking sampling the inputs will be improved in the mk2 because of this? It makes sense that it will but for the cost difference between mk1 and mk2 some may argue that the current inputs are part of the character of the machine. Then again, these with the rest of the upgrades are probably why the OP is debating which one to get.

I too bought my mk1 in March but have ignored it due to the DT purchase. Had I had known there would be an mk2 on the horizon I would have waited for it after experiencing the new form factor elektron used in the DT. I literally took the Octatrack out of the box, loaded it with a bunch of samples and played around with them for less than an hour and packed it back up. Not because I had any issues with it, I knew there would be major differences with it and DT so I kept my mind clear for a month. While I love what the digitakt does, the only thing that really relates it to an Octatrack is the fact it can sample. To have the buttons, encoders, OLED screen of the digitakt with improved inputs and upgraded slider I would trade my mk1 in without a doubt.

If I were in the OP position I would need convincing to justify buying a used one or wait for mk2. Being that he currently doesn’t have one, he hasn’t gone through the learning curve to know if he would like using it in his setup. Other than reading the manual and Merlin’s guide and the many wonderful tips and tricks on our forum without ever touching it he may not like how the workflow is. I will admit, I am jealous of the new buttons which will solve some of the menu diving that most of us have grown to have muscle memory with. I had the A4 and got rid of it after the mk2 announcement. I currently have the OT and am looking to get rid of it for the mk2 version. I never got to own the AR but I’m looking forward to getting the mk2 version as well. My opinion, but the upgrades are very worth it. I had an mk1 of the Machinedrum without the uw. The mk2 wasn’t that much of an upgrade but what it did upgrade made a huge difference. So I upgraded that to the mk2uw. Like I said, it’s my opinion, but the mk2 upgrades may seem too subtle to warrant giving up the dark trinity for the dirty trinity for many, but just think back to the silver boxes upgrades. Would you have gotten the mk1’s of those when the mk2’s weren’t really that much different? Several questions are lurking for all of us about the new mk2’s which will be answered soon enough. But while the price may be getting good for second hand octatracks, if you plan on making music for a while, maybe that is enough to justify the mk2 over the mk1 which we know mk1 of all three will be phased out.

yeah, I do not like how my other instruments sounded throught the OT mk I. It was my only gripe with it, and in many situations setting an aux send for the OT wasn’t practical. Another was no metering of any kind for the master outs. The mk II supposedly adresses both of these.

2 Likes

I have a friend of mine who’s playing with the octatrack, and plug his Vermona DRM mk2 through it. I have already said to him that his drum machine don’t sound loud as it supposed to be. One time we just plug his drm into a mixer with no eq or gain, and it was very different.

I don’t want to carry a mixer for playing around. I was hoping that the two stereo inputs of the octatrack would do the job for my tanzbar and bassline… Did i made a mistake ?

Inputs would be very important, so maybe the mk2 would solve it ? Did you experience that type of low signal with the MK1 ?

I experienced what is known as “tone suck” in the guitarist world. Suddenly my analog instruments sounded less present and exciting. I have not ruled out it being user error, but always tried to use in sends-only mode since then with any analog sources.

Crossing fingers that the mk II inputs will work even for “insert” use… Thank heavens the A4 has analog inputs for my rytm!

1 Like

I can tell the difference when running something through the OT but it’s not that bad at all. I have found that using a full dir level in the mixer you need to set the master volume of OT to +18 or 19 and then the signal coming out is the same level as coming in. Thru machines lower the volume much more and need to be corrected somewhere, amp vol for example. With proper gain staging the OT can sound just fine, I do have really nice converters and can get better fidelity from my computer or running gear straight to my analog mixer, but in a live setting I don’t think anyone would know but me…

2 Likes

Oh and I always use 24 bit for recorders and flex…