Need help understanding LFO designer

Hi, I was wondering if you could help me please.

I am trying to understand relationships between LFO designer, LFO speed and depth.

What I am trying to create is a sample pitch sweep from -2 to +6 using LFO designer. The reason for using designer and not slide trigs is due to me willing to have custom sweep curve.

I am using SYNC TRIG LFO, trying to use following formula to work out cycle count per bar

(MULT x SPEED) / 128 = LFO cycles per bar

so that I have 4 cycles per bar (btw, in OT is bar = 64 steps or bar = pattern length?)

What I don’t understand is how to relate values of LFO designer to pitch. For example, Step 1 of LFO designer offers me range from -127 to 127. IF starting value of pitch is -2, would that translate to 0 on LFO designer grid? if I set Step 1 to 127 - would that be pitch to the max?

If I’d want to have my pitch curve to be

-2, -2, -2, -1, -1, -1, 0, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 6, 6, ,6

how would that translate in designer?

Also, how does LFO depth affect LFO designer?

Many thanks.

Simply set lfo designer depth to 127, and multiply pitch values per 5. :slight_smile:
(5 x 0.2 pitch values per semitone, so for pitch =+12, lfo designer = 5x12 = 60)
For slices, multiply slices values per 2.

Lfo designer default speed 32 x1 is 4 bars per cycle, like other waveforms.
Random lfo is particular, with default speed values change each 1/4 notes, 4 times per bar.

10 Likes

@sezare56, you are the legend! thank you so much, much appreciated. one day I will learn this beast :slight_smile:

1 Like

One day is not enough. :smile:

Default speed is 32 x 1 / 128 = 1/4 cycles per bar > a cycle is 4 bars.

3 Likes

is bar = 64 steps in OT or is bar = patter length?

1 bar = 16 steps = 4 quarter notes = 4 beats

2 Likes

thank you very much, @sezare56

1 Like

Beware, some bars can have 17 steps !

bar-area-and-stairs-to

4 Likes

That answers my PM too! Thank you oh wise one.

:raised_hands:

3 Likes

I second that - @sezare56 is a wise one, big time
Need to practise hard and follow all his mantras :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m finally just getting around to this. Designer to change pitch musically is just fantastic. Add a second random LFO to first’s speed and woooooow.