Need help setup Elektron A4 with No Coast over CV

Better but issue now is NO SOUND from the 0-coast to the A4! I can get it to work with my Octatrack over MIDI.

I can see the CV signal from the A4 to the 0-coast after performing setup in CV. BUT no sound is coming into the Elektron A4 from the semi modular 0-coast! I can get this to work over MIDI but not from the CV configuration. Here are the current setups:

https://imgur.com/a/s6di5

https://imgur.com/a/WWgLATx

When I type on the Elektron A4 keypad the signal does get sent to the 0-coast! BUT no sound. Any ideas what I am doing wrong here and how to fix it?

This is really weird because I wanted the A4 to manage CV gear and if it cannot do that I might as well return it for something cheaper like a Beatstep or Keystep CV device and keep the Octatrack.

Are you sending a gate signal too or do you have an offset from your o coast mixer channel? Midi is normalized to contour so you would hear it withiut patching but sending CV needs a gate or offset

Sorry I didn’t look at the pic… What are you patching into Dynamics?

I am doing the basic drone patch on the 0-coast from Sum to Dynamics.

Weird because I can see the CV signal but no audio. I tested it on my OT and via MIDI so I know the 0-coast is fine.

I don’t have an offset AFAIK on the mixer channel.

What happens if you unplug either that or the gate?

nothing but not sure if I am following. I tried a bunch of settings and nothing got sound of the 0-coast to the A4 unfortunately. The whole point why I even bought the A4 besides the synth engine was CV benefits. Will wait for tech support to see what I can do. Otherwise I may keep the OT and return the A4 and get a modular sequencer to handle modular gear in the future.

So you are sending it a gate signal and a CV pitch signal from the CV track? And you are on the CV track when you are playing the keyboard or you have changed the source to whatever track your on? You have correctly tuned your CV pitch signal? I don’t think you would need your offset to Dynamic and a gate to Contour, you are sending the o coast headphone out to analog 4 in and you have it on a track with trigs or direct in? It will definitely work for you there’s just something along the line incorrect. I noticed that your pitch knob is turned up slightly what happens if you turn it all the way counterclockwise? When I was sending CV pitch to my ocoast I always tried to make it so that my pitch was all the way counterclockwise but my fine tune would be somewhere around 10 oclock so that I could drop half-step if i wanted to. Did you know that with your octatrack you could actually just send midi to o coast and a second midi track patched out from your midi b? Then you can just sample. Your a four will definitely work for you with a little help I wouldn’t return it unless you don’t want to use it then just use the octatrack

Yes that is correct I think. The headphone out jack on the 0-coast I thought was the line out jack, no?

I have the volume turned up on both devices and CV track selected on the A4 it is in red which means active I believe. When I press the A4 keyboard the 0-coast lights up like a Christmas tree but no sound which is weird. I will check the settings again.

You have o coast on a track with trigs or you turned up your input?

both I think

Well try it as direct in not as a sound source on a track and see if you can get that to work first

1 Like

I would reduce the problem in half by plug in headphones into the 0-coast headphone out. Just to check that it is really not producing any sound …

And as others already wrote: have you to connected a gate AND a CV signal from the A4 to the 0-coast? The CV signal defines the pitch. The gate signal defines when a note starts and its length. There need to be both connections, not just one.

1 Like

Ok. I try it again. Sorry if I repeat anything, others already mentioned, I didn’t read all answers.

1. Make a new project on your A4
  2. Remove every cable of the 0-coast
  3. Connect your Elektron Midi/Cv Splitter to “CV AB” output on the backside of your A4
  4. Connect the headphone out of your 0-coast to the “In Left” of your A4
  5. Go to the fx track of your A4. Choose the Osc1 Section for External in. Turn up the volume on the upper section on the right side, because that’s for the In Left
  6. Go to the CV track of your A4. Hold Function + Osc1. This is the CVA Setup. Choose PITCH V/Oct.
    Hold Function + Osc2. This the CVB Setup. Choose a gate.
  7. Take a Patch cable. Connect it to “Tip” on your Midi/Cv Splitter. This is CVA with V/Oct. Take that cable and connect it to 1V/Oct on the Oscillator section of your 0-coast.
    Take another Patch cable. Connect it to “Ring” of your Midi/Cv Splitter. This is CVB with a Gate. Connect the other end of the cable to gate on the Contour Section of your 0-coast
  8. Make sure headphone volume on your 0-coast is up. Make sure that the Dynamic knob of your 0-coast is turned full clockwise. Make sure on the contour section, the onset is turned full counter clockwise, and your decay is turned up.
  9. Play notes on the little keyboard of your A4. You will hear the 0-coast and it will change Pitch with each different note
1 Like

On the MKII there is no splitter cable required. It has separate outputs. So you’ll need to connect CV-A and CV-B separately.

3 Likes

Ah ok. Thanks for the correction.

1 Like

Some side notes:

• Forget about the drone patch, when you want to sequence the 0-coast from the A4.
  • You don’t have to return the A4, you have to read its manual and the manual of the 0-coast. First you told us that you have to return the nerd science OT, but the A4 is super cool and much simpler. Now you tell us, you might return the A4, cause you can’t use its Cv functions. You simply have to learn how to make the connections.
    A Beatstep pro won’t help you if you connect it wrong.
  • Use the search function of this forum. There are more than one threads about the A4 and Cv Sequencing Setup

that is because I needed a sampler/sequencer first and foremost and past the initial OT hurdles-

the A4- for the synth engine and CV ability but heck if I can use a cheaper BSP and invest in modular gear that is fine as well.

Your logic is confusing for me, but ok. However, I doubt modular will make things easier for you right now.

1 Like

@Unifono ,

I wanted an A4 to try out and see if it worked for me with future options to interface with Eurorack gear.

I needed a decent hardware sequencer/sampler to handle my other synths that is why I bought the OT as it is cheaper than Cirklon and other sequencers out of stock like the Social Entropy Engine.

Sorry it is hard for you to grasp my logic bro

No need to feel sorry :wink:

1 Like