Need help: recording internal automation while playing but not recording external midi notes

A friend of mine si doing some experimental stuff with modular.
Lately he’s been brought back his Monomachine and rediscovered it with a new light…

He’s asked me help for a particular setup he has in mind: he sends midi notes to the MM from a crazy cartesian sequencer he’s been working on for some time now, and would like to be able to record automation by tweaking the knobs in Live Rec mode, while MM receives midi notes, without actually recording the notes the MM is receiving…
He wants to be able to do this while improvising live, of course, so any preparation beforehand is a no go.

I haven’t seen his setup yet, guess I could help him better if I did, but so far I suggested to record the track while tweaking knobs, remove the notes by turning all trigs into trigless ones (Fn+trig).

What would be your suggestion?

This wish to live record plocks but not notes seems impossible to me… I try to turn it in all senses…
Unless there’s a midi loop and the automation is done from the midi tracks, maybe !
Or if tracks are chained, but then the MM has to be played mono.

Throw me ideas please!
:nerd_face: