Need help creating different sets on the Digitakt

I want to make songs for different livesets and need ideas for how to save them.

So i want to make a song and then decide in which set it should go.
For example i make a Hip-Hop pattern and want to save it into the Hip-Hop project.
Then next day i might do a Drum’n’Bass pattern and save that into another project.

The problem is that i don’t know what kind of pattern i’ll come up with each day. And how i understand it i can’t move a pattern from one project to another, right?

So in order to save a pattern into the Hip-Hop project i have to start in the same project.
This means i can’t just come up with whatever type of pattern and then save it into the right project.

Maybe i’m too stupid to see a solution and i hope there is one.
Your help is much appreciated. Even if it’s just: “Nope, can’t do that with the Digitakt.”

Nope, can’t do that with the Digitakt (yet). What I do, is group stuff into different banks. Usually, more based on tempo than “genre”. But you could put all hip-hop patterns in their own banks, DnB in their own banks etc…

3 Likes

PS- you can copy/paste patterns to move them around in a project. Just in case you make a hip hop pattern in your DnB back :wink:

1 Like

Thanks a lot for clearing that up!
I might need up to 127 samples for one set. So working with banks for different sets won’t help too much. :frowning: Good idea though.

Don’t forget about sample chains if you need more samples.

4 Likes

Hey yeah! That’s right. Totally forgot about that. Thank you!

3 Likes

How do you use sample chains on the digitakt? Can’t seem to find any info on this, mightily confused.

1 Like

Record different samples after another in one sample. Then you can change the start point for triggering the different samples.

1 Like

Ahh, cool, thx. Thought it was a kind of special function :smiley:

1 Like

You can copy a pattern into a different project. Just hit func+copy when you’re not in grid recording mode, load the other project, select an empty pattern, and hit func+paste.

The downside is that you don’t copy the samples with the pattern. You need to add the samples to the new project and then assign them to the correct tracks in the pattern. So it can be done, eventhough if it’s not the fastest workflow on the planet ;). The fun thing is however that it opens up possibilities for happy accidents to occur :wink:

2 Likes

That’s a good workaround. A bit tedious but at least it’s possible. Thank you!

2 Likes

If you’re doing this a lot, you could actually come up with a folder structure that will speed up this proces. Like a folder structure where each map contains the samples of a pattern or group of patterns. That way adding samples from project to project won’t be such a pain anymore :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah this will help a lot for this process. Thanks!

1 Like