Need advice building modular effects rack

Hello,

I’m using A4, Rytm and Octa. Sadly i feel a lack of effects. For quite a while I am looking and thinking to make a modular with a patchbay that i could route different outputs to different destination (sending separate drums to separate modules, use cue and return for re-sampling back in Octa again).
So my question would be do i have to use a preamp for audio channels that are being send to modules? And do I have to use attenuator for the signals coming back to be re-sampled? Because of the signal strength differences between two systems.

Thanks for your help

It is generally recommended to get a module to raise levels up to eurorack levels. I used to have an intellijel module that raised line level stereo into modular levels, and also brought it back out. Worked well for me, and I imagine it, or something similar would do the trick for the octatrack.

A VCA will also do the job to boost the line signal or attenuate the modular signal.

so I should get like 10x VCAs?

How many audio signals do you expect to be sending simultaneously to different destinations in your modular?

1 Like

You can never have too many VCAs. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Muffwiggler RIP Mike McGrath :pray:t6:

LFO => VCF = wopwopwopwopwopwopwop
LFO => VCA (properly fed) => VCF = wwwawawawopwooopwopwwawawww

Brilliant!!

1 Like

RE: VCAs

-> yes, it is true that in a fully modular context, you can never have “too many” VCAs :wink:

it is, unfortunately, not universally true that ALL VCAs will do what you want to/need to do:

even though they have “amplifier” in their name, most VCAs do not actually amplify /INCREASE the signal strength - most of them have an amplification rate of 1.0x and therefore whatever you get out of them will never be “LOUDER” than what you put in.

think of it as “voltage controlled attenuation”.

there are of course exceptions - intellijel quad vca and mutable instruments veils both can actually AMPLIFY up to 2.0x in their exponentional settings if I´m not mistaken.

just a quick clarification so nobody goes out to hook up 10x VCAs in a row and then finds out they wasted all of that money :wink:

-> just get a proper module that simply takes line level and amplifies it a set amount, and for the way out just get an attenuator and/or some adapter cables.

there´s cheap (but good) stuff available from Ladik.eu for example… very underrated manufacturer!

1 Like

up to 10-12 voices to be effected

My advice is…

DONT…!

Maybe i should elaborate, i have only about 180hp of a mixed bag of euro, and then 3 of those versitile roland aira fx and a DFAM…i had them before i had any elektron gear. It was 3 times as expensive and achieves 3 times less than the the combination of elektron boxes.

Its a really expensive way of adding fx especially if they are to be in true stereo in euro.

Would you consider a H9 or some strymon? Or something with the fx you want and can midi controll? You could buy a mixer and some great outboard and save.

I mean i would spend the money on a second A4mkii and use the plockable reverb, chorus and delay on the audio inputs before spending what would add up to more than that, for expensive euro that would maybe achieve less…

Maybe that doesnt help. Try guaging what it would cost in modular grid. And compare.

Dont go for Pittsburgh ins and outs, although they do amplify beyond x1.0 but they bleed between channels.

The rolland euro aira fx have a digital module inside that you can patch that with the app that works o.k. for getting levels converted to euro, but the fx are a bit meh. The bitraizer is the most useful and makes sounds that the Elektron units do not. You dont even need a case for them so if you decide euro is not for you they are easily sold as complete stand alone effects.

Its a slippery slope. But follow your curiosity

1 Like

Check out the Empress Zoia. Two possible channels, an amount of modules limited only by CPU and Empress quality sound. Distracted me pretty thoroughly from a modular FX skiff.

2 Likes

Here’s another option:

I use this to interface between my modular and the rest of my studio

I took a look that Zoia would be one of better choices. As it’s price, size and workflow looks most legit to go. Maybe even one for each elektron machine, as I have the dark trinity, love it but, I feel a big lack of effects on them.
Thanks for the replies and advice

2 Likes

How did it go with the Zoia as a fx processor? Did you like the quality of the effects using with the Elektron gear ?

1 Like